2002 Toyota RAV4 Consumer Review: Pretty Happy So Far

2002 Toyota RAV4 - Consumer Review

Pretty Happy So Far
By Okay in KY on

2002 Toyota RAV4 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Overall, we really like our Rav4. My wife is the main driver. She wanted something smaller than a van, but still wanted to sit higher than a car. I'm still trying to get used to the arrangement of the dash. The speedometer is in a large circle to the left. ( I look for it in the middle.) The tach is smaller and in the middle. The fuel gauge and the temp gauge are in a large circle to the right. The front bumper/grill seems mostly plastic/vinyl. The rear bumper is almost nonexistant. There are two narrow "bumps" - one on each side. Nothing in the middle because of the spare tire. So far, the rattles have not been bad.

We like the interior, especially the seats. We drove a Honda CR-V, but we did not like the seats (not enough cushion) nor the narrow left armrest for the driver.

The rear door opens on the left. When parking along a curb, the right side would have been better. The 4-cylinder engine is plenty "peppy". But, the gas mileage is not as good as I had hoped. It is rated 24/28. But, we only get 19 with in town driving.