Beware I'm done with all Toyota products
By 2002Rav4Sucks on
2002 Toyota RAV4 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)
Don't buy Toyota. Read the reviews here. All of them. Some people even posted a good review before the on- board computer fried and then burn the transmission. Or before the engine burnt from the known oil sludge problem. Then wrote another bad review. I paid $14,000 used. Good deal private party with 40k miles. At 88k miles the engine blew-up from oil sludge. I didn't know about the "oil sludge recall" until after I had it rebuilt for $4,500. Then at about 97k miles the jerking shifting started. This is my daughter's car so I took it in to my mechanic. He said on board computer $1300 and the transmission is cooked because of the computer problem. $5,600 for rebuild and new computer (cont'd
Favorite Features
..so then I went to Toyota direct and they said yep $5,600. I said NOPE, this is a known issue and went up and up and up the ladder and finally got the work done for $3,600 from the dealer. I was so happy. I saved myself $2,000 by complaining. My wife said, "big deal we paid them $3,600! no more.
Suggested Improvements
Today I found out the catalytic converter needs to be replaced and it's only a dealer item and is $750 for just the part. Any other after market catalytic converter is about $200 bucks. I'm done. I'm painting it yellow and parking it at the dealer.