2002 Toyota RAV4 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:
Carlos's Toy
By BuddyBoy on 09/17/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have owed my 2002 Rav4 for 5 months now and driven it 9,000 miles. On back roads it does great, takes the curves like a little sports car. I get 24 miles per gallon. Good ride. Does great on the highway except when you go up prolonged uphill grades, the car wants to kick in and out of passing gear. The major complaint that I have about this vehicle is the passing gear. Do not try to pass someone on a 2 lane road except when you have a lot of time to do it. When you punch the accelerator down into passing gear, you think the car is going to take off like a rocket, but when you pull out into the passing lane the vehicle doesn't go anywhere.

U got to love the RAV
By ozeross on 09/10/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota RAV4 SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The performance of the vehicle is excellent and it give a decent fuel economy in its class. Its roomy, has good looks both interior and exterior (with L Pack)and leather interiors and one can surely say that this vehicle could have easily carried a LEXUS badge. Talking about power and torque, in its class its really good. Yes, one can of course argue that the others in the segment have more HP than RAV4, but let be practical, this is a recreational vehicle and not a truck. And of course, the HP was will neve end..., I would say it you can make a deal on this buddy, PEACE OF MIND is guranteed.

Watch out for minor annoyances
By T_Sport on 08/20/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Problems: The 3-spoke steering wheel doesn't move down nearly enough to get a comfortable grip. If you like to drive, holding one hand or both on the bottom spokes, you will NOT like the Rav4 steering wheel. The other major flaw with the car is the pathetically weak factory stereo. My car had the 'upgraded' stereo which results in two more useless paper tweeter speakers. Unfortunately, at this time, Crutchfield doesn't support the 2002/2001 Rav4, so speaker upgrades are tough. I replaced the factory head unit with a Sony unit which resulted in more power but ZERO bass, and distortion above 30% power. If you love good music, buy a Nissan.

drive on freeway before you buy
By mandy on 08/19/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota RAV4 SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the RAV4 for reliability and comfort. I am an older female with a disablity. I have had this SUV for three months and wish I would not have bought it. It does not hold the road and vibrates the steering wheel at 65 mph. I am getting no help from the dealer..I am told it is because "I don't know how SUV's drive". Well, the car drifts all over the road...I thought a new vehicle should atleast hold the road. Beware before you buy.

1st Time Toyota Buyer
By Gushguire on 08/19/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I got rid of my '96 GMC Jimmy and bought the RAV4. The 4-cyl. has good acceleration and nimble handling. I'm dissapointed in the gas mileage--21 mpg in the city. I've tried switching to an 89 octane with no better results, so I'm sticking to 87. The rear headrests can block your view, so if you routinely drive alone, I'd suggest removing them for the clearest view. I'm tall--5'10" and there is plenty of leg room on the driver's side. Annoying rattle behind the glove compartment at speeds in excess of 30. Rear seats remove and reinstall with ease. Nice feature to haul around the dogs.

RAV4 L
By SandyT on 08/14/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We shopped around at several dealers. We found the best price at the larger "city" dealer. The car runs very well and is just the right size for commuting to work in all seasons. The L upgrade offers some nice extras such as moonroof and cd/tape/stereo radio. Our dealer lowered the MSR by $2,500 and provided a fair value for our 1995 Nissan Altima trade-in. The only problem we had was that the radio was defective. The dealer replaced it the next day

Niosey Rav4 ...
By Vernie on 08/13/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota RAV4 SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The SUV has been a good vehicle up to this point( I only have 12,000 miles on it). However the NOISE factor is annoying. Specifically, the BUZZ that's somewhere in the dash that the dealer can't find. I've had it in the shop twice and they couldn't find, let alone repair the problem. Intrestingly, when they told me it was fixed and ready to go the second time the BUZZ (not a rattle) was as alive and well as before it was "repaired". At that point I knew that it would be pointless to take it in again for this problem.

I got what I paid for
By norm on 08/04/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota RAV4 SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I paid 19750 for my RAV 4. After spending over 27000 on a 96 Grand Caravan it felt great to spend less for greater quality. My 2WD has performed well in heavy snow. Gas mileage has been almost 30 on the highway. The car handles responsively and has enough pep to get me up hills. The AC is ice cold and for a small vehicle the front interior is spacious. I've owned eight vehicles and this is my favorite. No need to get 4WD - the 2WD will take you just abo

Buy it -- you'll like it!
By RAVingit on 08/01/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I loved my two Honda Civics -- that is, until I purchased the RAV4. A friend purchased a Lexus RX300 and, after enjoying rides in her luxury SUV, I decided I wanted one of my very own. So I purchased the affordable one - RAV4!! Believe it or not, the RAV4 L package even looks like the RX300 from the outside. I like a small car, so I was looking for a vehicle that drove like a small car but had the convenience of an SUV. The ride, quality and design of the RAV is everything I imagined! It zips in and out of traffic and is extremely fun to drive. The visibility is great -- I can't imagine driving a car again!

Excellent Mini SUV
By Monkeysahoy on 07/31/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

At first, I was hesitant about the RAV 4 because of it's exterior looks. However, after taking a test drive and reading about it in Consumer Reports, I fell in love with it immediately.