2002 Toyota RAV4 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:
Not bad for a compact SUV
By JDawn on 05/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota RAV4 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Overall the RAV4 has been a nice car to drive around town in. The styling is attractive and it gets the gas mileage advertised. At 2 yrs. old the seal on my RAV's back window leaked and had to be replaced and the sunroof began leaking almost as soon as I got it. I've been told the backseats are terribly uncomfortable on long trips. My biggest complaint would be the hesitation in the transmission. The '02 RAV also has very little power. I understand that has been improved in the '04 model. Overall, it is fun to drive and gives the driver an excellent view of the road. It has a fabulous braking system and handles excellently.

My green eyed monster
By Happy Ravver on 04/29/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota RAV4 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

You guys who get bad gas milage are trying way too hard!! I AVERAGE 30.5 mpg doing about 75 on the expressway and jumping off the line every chance I get. The automatic is lazy (found that out on the test drive), so opt for the 5-speed for a little more oomph.

MY 2002 RAV 4
By JIMMY BRUNO on 03/21/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Toyota RAV4 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

HORSEPOWER IS ABOVE AVERAGE FOR A 4 CYL. HAD TROUBLE WITH NOISE IN THE DASH AND THE TOP CARGO CARRIER. DEALERSHIP TOOK CARE OF ALL OF THAT. IT COMES WITH A COMPASS IN THE MIRROR BUT NO OUTSIDE TEMP. DISPLAY. SEATING IS GOOD IN THE REAR AND FRONT AND THE SEATS FOLD DOWN AND COME OUT FOR ADDED HAULING. FRONT TO BACK MEASUREMENTS ARE EXCELLENT FOR MY NEEDS WHICH WERE A ADDED FEATURE FOR BUYING IT AS WERE THE EXTERIOR DESIGN. THE WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA HILLS RUN DOWN THE TIRES THAT WERE ON THE VEHICLE. I HAVE TO CHANGE THEM THIS SUMMER AND IT'S NOT QUITE 2 YEARS OLD WITH 17,000 MILES ON IT.

Powerless
By Paull on 02/17/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Toyota RAV4 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Inexpensive mini-SUV that feels that way. Lots on interior squeaks and rattles, underpowered. Can't

my "toy"ota
By Harm on 02/16/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Toyota RAV4 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this vehicle new and have been driving it for three years. My "toy"ota has been totally reliable. I have not had problems at all with any part of the vehicle. It is both fun and easy to drive because of it's size. I have documented an average of 28 mpg/gas on trips. I keep the vehicle clean and shiny and have had numerous comments on it's beauty. AND, it's a big hit with teenagers.

Our Blue Ravioli
By Laurie Mena on 02/10/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Toyota RAV4 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

RAV4 offers SUV convenience yet great gas mileage of 24/city and 28/highway because the car runs in fifth except when you override it. Comparable makes offered 6-10 mpg less. We didnít see the economy until 10,000 miles. Other great features were the back, with low floor and side-closing door (and tire hangin on door.) A child can change clothes at the beach in complete privacy. It is shorter than the Corolla and easy to park. Difficult to find any color but silver or white, we finally found blue. The blue, green and red are stunning. With override button on the shifter, it gets us up hills quickly. This is a great family car.

Good Rig
By tommasini on 12/08/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Toyota RAV4 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Good looks...Excellent handling...Below average performance

Gas Hog
By Gail Delia on 06/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota RAV4 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

For a 4 cylinder AWD and as light as this vehicle is it stinks on gas mileage. We get 17 miles/gal around town. Ugh. The CRV we had got 24 around town and it was a 6 cylinder AWD It doesn't hold it's value. We leased it, we have 5,500 mile son it and to buy out the lease is still $23,000...more than a brand new one. Don't buy one.

Best SUV on the road
By Rav4life on 05/02/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota RAV4 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Extremely smooth and quiet ride. No drifting on the freeways, and very spacious for front-seat-only commuters.

so far, so good
By slsrav4driver on 04/21/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota RAV4 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Great car. The only complaint I have is that the roof rack is making some noise as I drive. The fold down/take out seats have been great--I can fit a lot into this little car.