Used 2002 Toyota RAV4 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Toyota RAV4 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:

Please read before you buy!!
By Debbie

2002 Toyota RAV4 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased my RAV4 brand new. Check engine light was on after about one year. Catalytic conv or O2 sensors were always said to be the reason. At 100,000K it started to slip between 2nd and 3rd gear. Causes major issues! I just received something from Toyota saying that they will reprogram my ECM for no charge now, but unfortunately for me, this defect already ruined my transmission. Do not even think about purchasing a 2001-2002 RAV4 unless you have several thousand extra dollars to replace a transmission and ECM (avg.$4K). Trust me!!

Cargo space.

I bought Toyota because I bought into the "foreign cars mean higher quality" marketing. I'm not so sure anymore. This is a major issue for me in a not- so-stable economy. I will not purchase another Toyota.

2002 Rav4 AWD
By Sean Allio

2002 Toyota RAV4 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

An overall good vehicle. Disappointed with Toyota's decline in quality. Not what it was 10-15 years ago. Had no major problems just small ones. The power door locks went out around 50k miles. Hatch door latch pin broke. Weather stripping pulled loose on window. Very noisy engine. Gets good gas mileage if you are on top of pre-maintenance.

Sleek styling. Good in snow. Drives like a car w/SUV features. Gas mileage.

Needs a rear hatch door that opens up. Improve on seating comfort.

*BEWARE*
By Lee

2002 Toyota RAV4 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Loved this car at first, started getting a lot of wind noise, and noise from rear, had it looked at, but found nothing. Now, with only 120,000 miles on it, it started slipping. Had it checked and transmission is gone, of course it's past warranty, plus the ECM (engine control module) would also need to be replaced, costing me $4,800.00.

Big Problems
By Ravlight

2002 Toyota RAV4 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I'm very displeased with the quality of this vehicle. I had numerous small problems that required several trips to the dealership, plus at only 60K, the AC compressor needs to be replaced (not covered by the warrenty). That and the fact that it is extremely underpowered, very noisy on the highway, and the back seats are very difficult to take in and out. It is very good on gas, rides and handles great in the city and has ample cargo room.

I give the Rav-4 raves for the interior cargo capacity. People have been amazed at what I can fit in the back with the seats removed. That and great gas mileage.

Most addressed in the 2007 update with a V6 option, more room, and fold flat seats.

Compact, Economical, Great on Gas
By Ken

2002 Toyota RAV4 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

It helps the environment and my wallet to drive an SUV that utilizes fewer resources than most other compact SUV out there. The RAV4 is reliable, fuel efficient and economical to own (parts are fairly reasonable). I recommend this to anyone who cares about reliability, the environment and the price of gas today. Keep more cash in your wallet... drive a Toyota RAV4 people! Some may say it is not a cool car for guys to drive. I have heard it described as a "female's" car. Well, if this is the case, then those "females" are some very smart people on this planet. They happened to stumble on a money saver!!

Its fuel efficiency, city driving I can get 22 mpg (not bad for an AWD SUV). A full tank of gas gets you approximately 275 miles

Could use a litle more power on acceleration. I have the 2002 RAV4, with a 2.0 Liter. Newer models have the 2.5L. This may make a difference.