2002 Toyota RAV4 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:
Beware of Transmission Problems
By Unhappy Camper on 06/12/09 17:56 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I am the original owner of this vehicle. I bought it because of Toyota's excellent reputation. At 87k miles I started having transmission problems. My car would rev up between gears and felt like it was slipping. At times it would hesitate and go into gears hard. I took it to Toyota and they knew right away what the problem was. They said that it was the ECU/ECM. It's the computer that tells the transmission when to shift. It was a very bad design and Toyota no longer has it in their newer models. The cost for a new computer is over $1500 with no guarantee it will even fix the problem. A new trans is over 3k so all together I could have $4500 in this vehicle. Not a happy camper...

Poor Quality of work
By Pat McMullen on 03/22/09 15:51 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota RAV4 SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

As a customer of Toyota, my wife and I are disappointed in the vehicle we have purchased. The Toyota Rav is only 7 years old and we need a new transmission. I have had 5 brand new cars in my life so far and never needed a new transmission installed as a maintenance problem with my cars. The Toyota was not in any kind of accident. I was told my the technician it was due to transmission fluid being low. I just think Toyota could do a better job of building their products than this. Everyone is saying how good Toyota is we decided to purchase our new Toyota vehicle but so disappointed to have the transmission gone with only 79,000 miles. Gear is slipping from 2nd to 3rd.

2002 RAV4 5spd
By RB on 03/06/09 10:22 AM (PST)

2002 Toyota RAV4 SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought new in 2002. 5spd Stick, original clutch still going strong at 100000+... oil changed regularly, front brakes once, tires once, wiper blades, a couple of light bulbs... THAT's IT! Terrific little wagon!!! Best vehicle I've ever owned. Check Engine Light came on after about a year, reprogramming of the module was done at no cost and has never come on since! I'd definitely buy another!!!

Great Car but horrible seats
By Kristin S on 02/19/09 20:13 PM (PST)

2002 Toyota RAV4 SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love my Rav4 with the exception of the seats. Toyota really skimped on the comfort factor. The seats are not supportive and feel like they are made out of foam. Other than that I have never had ANY problems with my RAV4. It is the most reliable car I have ever had. Great storage, especially with the large pack "trunk". Handles great, has a great turn radius. Easy to drive but it could definitely use more torque going on hill and passing cars on the freeway. In the next couple of months I am looking to sell my RAV4 and I am looking at Lexus and Acura. The number one feature I am looking for are ergonomic seats and dash board placement which the RAV4 certainly does not have.

Pretty Good Car
By Leslie R on 01/29/09 11:00 AM (PST)

2002 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've loved this car, mostly because it's just the right size for me. I can pack up half of my belongings and drive across the country (which I have to do occasionally because of my job), but I don't feel like I'm driving a tank around the city. I also feel confident that I'm not going to be stuck on the side of the road in the desert. The lack of power is a problem. Accelerating onto the freeway can be a little scary. Driving through the Rocky Mountains, I've felt like I might start rolling backward. Turning radius is amazing, though. My husband, who is very tall, thinks it's horribly uncomfortable to either ride or drive, especially over long distances.

Please read before you buy!!
By Debbie on 01/19/09 09:32 AM (PST)

2002 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased my RAV4 brand new. Check engine light was on after about one year. Catalytic conv or O2 sensors were always said to be the reason. At 100,000K it started to slip between 2nd and 3rd gear. Causes major issues! I just received something from Toyota saying that they will reprogram my ECM for no charge now, but unfortunately for me, this defect already ruined my transmission. Do not even think about purchasing a 2001-2002 RAV4 unless you have several thousand extra dollars to replace a transmission and ECM (avg.$4K). Trust me!!

2002 Rav4 AWD
By Sean Allio on 09/29/08 11:46 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

An overall good vehicle. Disappointed with Toyota's decline in quality. Not what it was 10-15 years ago. Had no major problems just small ones. The power door locks went out around 50k miles. Hatch door latch pin broke. Weather stripping pulled loose on window. Very noisy engine. Gets good gas mileage if you are on top of pre-maintenance.

*BEWARE*
By Lee on 07/22/08 20:36 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Loved this car at first, started getting a lot of wind noise, and noise from rear, had it looked at, but found nothing. Now, with only 120,000 miles on it, it started slipping. Had it checked and transmission is gone, of course it's past warranty, plus the ECM (engine control module) would also need to be replaced, costing me $4,800.00.

Big Problems
By Ravlight on 06/03/08 11:55 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota RAV4 SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I'm very displeased with the quality of this vehicle. I had numerous small problems that required several trips to the dealership, plus at only 60K, the AC compressor needs to be replaced (not covered by the warrenty). That and the fact that it is extremely underpowered, very noisy on the highway, and the back seats are very difficult to take in and out. It is very good on gas, rides and handles great in the city and has ample cargo room.

Compact, Economical, Great on Gas
By Ken on 01/11/08 11:09 AM (PST)

2002 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

It helps the environment and my wallet to drive an SUV that utilizes fewer resources than most other compact SUV out there. The RAV4 is reliable, fuel efficient and economical to own (parts are fairly reasonable). I recommend this to anyone who cares about reliability, the environment and the price of gas today. Keep more cash in your wallet... drive a Toyota RAV4 people! Some may say it is not a cool car for guys to drive. I have heard it described as a "female's" car. Well, if this is the case, then those "females" are some very smart people on this planet. They happened to stumble on a money saver!!