Used 2002 Toyota RAV4 Consumer Reviews - 115 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Toyota RAV4 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:

Thanks for nothing Toyota!!!
By Toyotasux!!

2002 Toyota RAV4 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Well I bought this vehicle back when Toyota still had a good reputation but sadly I will NEVER PURCHASE ANOTHER TOYOTA. The computer gave out so there was $1,300 to pay and after that the transmission went kaput so there goes another $3,000. Not to mention the horrifying experience of it stopping when turning left. Toyota does not care about its customers all they care about is your $$$$.

It looks wonderful sitting in front of my house since i can't drive it.

Make a vehicle that isn't junk.

Rav4=No worries
By FunSmart

2002 Toyota RAV4 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

We I was looking for a car I back in 2006 grabbed the consumer report and this car showed the best rating of all (not only small SUV). I bought it used and through these years (today 2010) I have confirmed day by day that the reports were true. The Rav4 is spacious (you can easily remove the back seats) for cargo and passengers. The spare tire gives the sporty "Jeepy" look and unlike other cars there is no sacrifice of space to accommodate the tire inside the vehicle, so all that space left is yours to fill. Thanks to this the height of the base of the trunk is at or below your needs. Just go and compare this with other cars, you will find they are much higher.

Space, low maintenance cost, handling and it's loaded standard!

For the new models, go back to the previous like the 2002. It was already right why reinvent the wheel?

ECM Died at 105M
By saddened customer

2002 Toyota RAV4 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I originally posted at Edmunds how I loved, loved, LOVED my Rav4 at time of purchase back in 2002. However, car started jerking last week, couldn't accelerate, so towed it to dealer, went online, and discovered the brain/transmission problem! Paid over $1300 to replace the brain, and have no faith in my car anymore. Dealer couldn't guarantee it won't start lurching again, so it's time to switch from Toyota, sadly. A company that doesn't stand behind a problem that it knows exists at least when I trade it in, I can show I paid to 'fix' the ECM, but I pray the car just gets retired rather than potentially hurting another soul!

None right now.

Toyota sent out a service notice to dealers back in 2006 about this issue and didn't notify customers. Sad! I am here to warn all of you to 1) not drive if the car starts lurching (I was able to save the transmission) and 2) be prepared for the ECM problem.

Auto transmission defect
By JKT

2002 Toyota RAV4 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

129,000 care-free miles and THEN transmission failure with an incredible lack of consideration by Toyota. ECU/ECM (computer module of automatic transmission) failure leading to destruction of tranny. Will cost $4- 5000 and Toyota has been aware of this via TSB (technical service bulletin) since 2006. Affecting years 2001-2003 with automatic. If your get a RAV-4 make sure it's got STICK!

ECM Killed the transmission
By Rav4 the junk heap

2002 Toyota RAV4 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

A week ago I would've rated this car a 4 out of 5 stars. Yesterday driving home the transmission went out. I lost the Drive gears and made it home in Low 2nd. Went online and discovered it is a common problem with 2001-05 Rav4s and is actually caused by a bad ECM (Engine Control Module). I called the dealership in the morning and they said it would be nearly $5,000 to replace the ECM and transmission. This is really bad for a Toyota with only 72,000 miles. Found out later that I'm covered by a 'Federal Emissions Warranty' mandated by the government. Called Toyota back and yes, I am covered after all, but only for the ECM and not the transmission. How ridiculous is that?

Compact and easy to drive. Hardly any blind spots. Super easy to change the oil filter.

CONTINUED FROM REVIEW: If you own a Rav4, I highly recommend you take it to your dealer and get the ECM replaced BEFORE it destroys your transmission. Go into Google and type 'Rav4 Transmission Problems' to read more details. This is a huge problem that Toyota is once again covering up.