Used 2002 Toyota RAV4 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Toyota RAV4 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:

Not bad for a compact SUV
By JDawn

2002 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Overall the RAV4 has been a nice car to drive around town in. The styling is attractive and it gets the gas mileage advertised. At 2 yrs. old the seal on my RAV's back window leaked and had to be replaced and the sunroof began leaking almost as soon as I got it. I've been told the backseats are terribly uncomfortable on long trips. My biggest complaint would be the hesitation in the transmission. The '02 RAV also has very little power. I understand that has been improved in the '04 model. Overall, it is fun to drive and gives the driver an excellent view of the road. It has a fabulous braking system and handles excellently.

Brake system, maneuverability, visibility, stylishness.

Backseat comfort; transmission adjustment; power.

My green eyed monster
By Happy Ravver

2002 Toyota RAV4 SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

You guys who get bad gas milage are trying way too hard!! I AVERAGE 30.5 mpg doing about 75 on the expressway and jumping off the line every chance I get. The automatic is lazy (found that out on the test drive), so opt for the 5-speed for a little more oomph.

gas milage, exterior styling.

I'd love it if Toyota brought the 2- door version back to the US.

MY 2002 RAV 4
By JIMMY BRUNO

2002 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

HORSEPOWER IS ABOVE AVERAGE FOR A 4 CYL. HAD TROUBLE WITH NOISE IN THE DASH AND THE TOP CARGO CARRIER. DEALERSHIP TOOK CARE OF ALL OF THAT. IT COMES WITH A COMPASS IN THE MIRROR BUT NO OUTSIDE TEMP. DISPLAY. SEATING IS GOOD IN THE REAR AND FRONT AND THE SEATS FOLD DOWN AND COME OUT FOR ADDED HAULING. FRONT TO BACK MEASUREMENTS ARE EXCELLENT FOR MY NEEDS WHICH WERE A ADDED FEATURE FOR BUYING IT AS WERE THE EXTERIOR DESIGN. THE WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA HILLS RUN DOWN THE TIRES THAT WERE ON THE VEHICLE. I HAVE TO CHANGE THEM THIS SUMMER AND IT'S NOT QUITE 2 YEARS OLD WITH 17,000 MILES ON IT.

EXTERIOR LOOK, SIZE, GAS MILEAGE AND CARGO HAULING. GOES GOOD IN THE SNOW.

OUTSIDE TEMP. GAUGE IN MIRROR AND BETTER TIRES

Powerless
By Paull

2002 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Inexpensive mini-SUV that feels that way. Lots on interior squeaks and rattles, underpowered. Can't

Styling is decent, reliability is good maintenance is inexpensive

Very underpowered, poor body integrity

my "toy"ota
By Harm

2002 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this vehicle new and have been driving it for three years. My "toy"ota has been totally reliable. I have not had problems at all with any part of the vehicle. It is both fun and easy to drive because of it's size. I have documented an average of 28 mpg/gas on trips. I keep the vehicle clean and shiny and have had numerous comments on it's beauty. AND, it's a big hit with teenagers.

It's an SUV...my favorite feature is the ease of getting in and out of the vehicle.

To have the back gate open from either side; and/or have the window roll up and down, electronically.