Used 2002 Toyota RAV4 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:

My New-used RAV4
By sapphiretiger

2002 Toyota RAV4 SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

So far so Good!! This isn't the vehicle I originally planned on purchasing. A lot of people were telling me no don't get an Suv, they burn too much gas. But my Rav4 is just as good on gas mileage as my car was. It's comfortable and I like to sit up a bit higher now. For my needs it has plenty of room. Went on weekend get-away with my boyfriend and my dog; now the dog loves it too; he always wants to go for a ride in it. I like that being a Toyota it should retain its value fairly well. OVERALL SATISFIED; THE CONS ARE MINOR. luv4myrav4

Favorite Features

I like the cargo cover- it's convenient to have that privacy when you go shopping or just want to stash something without it being seen I also like that it has 2 power outlets 1 front & 1 back (great idea for campers and travelers) The alarm & seatbelt minders although a pesky saved big $$ on insurance

Suggested Improvements

I do miss having automatic on/off headlights (the buzzer is really annoying) A little more pick up wouldn't hurt and a slightly smoother ride would be great. I really wish the windows were Tinted standard. Interior lighting -why orange?And come on people the horn is a joke like RoadRunner Meep meep!

Nothing to Ever Worry About
By Teresa Mitchem

2002 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

In 2.5 years I've put 61,000 miles on my beloved Rav4 and have never had one problem. I give it routine maintenance and drive it with confidence that it'll last me another 200,000 miles. Love that Toyota quality!

Favorite Features

It's a great small SUV, solid, roomy, great style--love the "refrigerator" back door. Lots of room in the back--my Mom's wheel chair fits perfectly.

Suggested Improvements

Quieter wind shield wipers.

I love my Rav 4!!
By haylieplum

2002 Toyota RAV4 SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I just bought this car and I love it. It is so much fun to drive. I got the all black one and it's so sleek to look at. It looks like a smaller BMW suv. I love all the options I have on mine and I love the reliability of everything.

Favorite Features

Great turning radius, handles so well in rain, great heater and AC, doors lock when you put it into drive, cool drink holders that adapt to cup size, many radio presets, windshield wiper on back window,

Suggested Improvements

The steering wheel sits kind of high. i wish it were lower. A little more power when going up hills.

The best option....
By dschauf

2002 Toyota RAV4 SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my RAV4 in August of '02 and I have had a great experience. I have friends that have large gas guzzler SUV's that think my RAV is too small. That is not the case. It has hauled everything from a 36" TV to all of our gear for a weekend of camping while getting 25 - 30 mpg. It is best balance of economy, cargo hauling capability and comfort.

Favorite Features

Comfortable seats, ability to take out back seats, low load floor, Toyota reliability

Suggested Improvements

Make a Hybrid

GOOD CAR FOR SHORT PEOPLE
By MARK SCHOLZ

2002 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

IS MY WIFE'S CAR, SHE LOVES IT AND I DON'T MIND IT. ACCELERATION IS SLUGGISH UNLESS YOU FLOOR IT THEN IT TAKES OFF. WE HAVE DRIVEN IT TO FLORIDA 3 TIMES (3000MILES) AND I WAS VERY COMFORTABLE (6'3") MY ONLY COMPLAINTS ARE; PASSENGER POWER MIRROR HAS LIMITED ADJUSTABILITY CAN'T PUT IT HIGH ENOUGH TO SEE WELL. WIND NOISE FROM WINDSHIELD AT 65 MPH AND ABOVE. i PUT A K+N FILTER ON IT WHICH HELPED MILEAGE AND PERFORMANCE. WE AVERAGE 24 MPG CITY AND HIGHWAY. 28MPG IS THE BEST WE'VE SEEN (4X4 AUTO) WHEN I DRIVE I GET ABOUT 23 MPG ON THE HIGHWAY DOING WELL OVER 65. DON'T BOTHER WITH THE ANTILOCK BRAKES, YOU DON'T NEED THEM. NOTHING HAS BROKE. HAPPY WITH QUALITY

Favorite Features

HEADLIGHTS - BRIGHT, SEATS, INTERIOR DESIGN, HANDLING, EASY OF OIL CHANGE, REAR SEAT MANAGEMENT

Suggested Improvements

MORE POWER! PASSENGER MIRROR ADJUSTMENT LIMITED HIGHER GROUND CLEARANCE