2002 Toyota RAV4 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:
Cockroach
By isnide23 on 07/21/14 19:10 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota RAV4 SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I am the 3rd owner. bought it with 60k miles. right now it has 150k miles. all I have done is changed oil and tires. It has been on rough dirt roads, countless snowstorms and numerous road trips of 1000+ miles. I have driven the piss out of this car and taken it on dirt roads it probably should have stayed away from. Toyota knows how to make a reliable motor and powertrain. There is a reason Toyota dominates other companies on reliability. This vehicle is a cockroach that refused to slow down.

Excellent value
By Camille on 10/10/09 20:29 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota RAV4 SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my Rav4 for nearly 8 years and the only issue I ever had was with the engine light coming on within the first 2 or 3 years. Since the car was still under warranty, the O2 sensor that was causing the light to go on was replaced/repaired, and I've had no problems at all since then. With a standard transmission, it not only gets over 25 MPG even in city traffic, it also has great pick-up. I like having plenty of room. It came in handy when I moved. Removing and replacing the rear seats is challenging (but doable) for me, but for someone who isn't petite it might not be too difficult. I still think it's a good looking car, too. It's one of the wisest purchases I've ever made.

A big NO to Toyota again
By Phyllis on 07/30/09 15:17 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota RAV4 SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The car is ok apart from the check engine light that keeps coming on. Had the ECM reprogrammed but so far nothing has changed. I wonder if Toyota still stands by their product if they can't take the responsibility of acknowledging their mistakes. I will never buy a Toyota car again.

Poor Quality of work
By Pat McMullen on 03/22/09 15:51 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota RAV4 SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

As a customer of Toyota, my wife and I are disappointed in the vehicle we have purchased. The Toyota Rav is only 7 years old and we need a new transmission. I have had 5 brand new cars in my life so far and never needed a new transmission installed as a maintenance problem with my cars. The Toyota was not in any kind of accident. I was told my the technician it was due to transmission fluid being low. I just think Toyota could do a better job of building their products than this. Everyone is saying how good Toyota is we decided to purchase our new Toyota vehicle but so disappointed to have the transmission gone with only 79,000 miles. Gear is slipping from 2nd to 3rd.

2002 RAV4 5spd
By RB on 03/06/09 10:22 AM (PST)

2002 Toyota RAV4 SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought new in 2002. 5spd Stick, original clutch still going strong at 100000+... oil changed regularly, front brakes once, tires once, wiper blades, a couple of light bulbs... THAT's IT! Terrific little wagon!!! Best vehicle I've ever owned. Check Engine Light came on after about a year, reprogramming of the module was done at no cost and has never come on since! I'd definitely buy another!!!

Great Car but horrible seats
By Kristin S on 02/19/09 20:13 PM (PST)

2002 Toyota RAV4 SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love my Rav4 with the exception of the seats. Toyota really skimped on the comfort factor. The seats are not supportive and feel like they are made out of foam. Other than that I have never had ANY problems with my RAV4. It is the most reliable car I have ever had. Great storage, especially with the large pack "trunk". Handles great, has a great turn radius. Easy to drive but it could definitely use more torque going on hill and passing cars on the freeway. In the next couple of months I am looking to sell my RAV4 and I am looking at Lexus and Acura. The number one feature I am looking for are ergonomic seats and dash board placement which the RAV4 certainly does not have.

Big Problems
By Ravlight on 06/03/08 11:55 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota RAV4 SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I'm very displeased with the quality of this vehicle. I had numerous small problems that required several trips to the dealership, plus at only 60K, the AC compressor needs to be replaced (not covered by the warrenty). That and the fact that it is extremely underpowered, very noisy on the highway, and the back seats are very difficult to take in and out. It is very good on gas, rides and handles great in the city and has ample cargo room.

My Rav
By Roberta on 11/01/06 08:59 AM (PST)

2002 Toyota RAV4 SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is one of the best cars that I have ever had, It is small easy to handle and roomy enough for long legs.

Compact SUV, fun to drive
By photog4fun on 10/15/06 15:58 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota RAV4 SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my RAV4 for 4 1/2 yrs. now and it has been one of the best cars that I've owned in the past 35 yrs. Top qualities that I love: 1. Higher viewing position compared to a sedan 2. Short, compact with plenty of room inside 3.Comfortable seats, easy to reach radio, good drink holders, nice ride 4. 24-26 mpg mostly highway travel 5. Highly reliable car with almost no mechanical problems over the past 80,000 miles Cons: 1. Slippery in icy conditions 2. Body dings easily

I love my Rav4 not ever getting rid of i
By Pamela on 07/29/06 05:45 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota RAV4 SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have 2 cars, but this is the one I use to go on long trips, out of state etc. You can't beat it for bringing kids and a dog, ice chest and suit cases, not to mention I can get from Nashville,TN. to New Orleans, LA. on 1 tank of gas!! Of course I take good care of my Rav, I get all the oil changes and 60 point inspections etc. You can not beat this car for comfort and economy.

1 2 3 4 5 next »