2002 Toyota RAV4 Base SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:

Sort Reviews by

Cockroach
By isnide23

2002 Toyota RAV4 SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I am the 3rd owner. bought it with 60k miles. right now it has 150k miles. all I have done is changed oil and tires. It has been on rough dirt roads, countless snowstorms and numerous road trips of 1000+ miles. I have driven the piss out of this car and taken it on dirt roads it probably should have stayed away from. Toyota knows how to make a reliable motor and powertrain. There is a reason Toyota dominates other companies on reliability. This vehicle is a cockroach that refused to slow down.

Favorite Features

Not fast by anyone's definition, but the manual transmission makes it fun to drive and lets you use all the power the plunky 4 cylinder engine has.

Suggested Improvements

Sell a turbo-diesel in the US please

I love my Rav4!
By kate66

2002 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my Rav4 used in 2006 with 34,000 miles. I have had absolutely no problems with it beyond normal maintenance. I have made multiple cross-country trips in it and have found it to be very comfortable even on long car rides. People can not believe how old my car is when they look at it. It still has its original paint, and people think it's brand new. I love the way it drive. It has a lot of road noise, but I knew that going into it. At 90,600, it's still going strong. I think I am one of the only people I know who not only loves my car but actually doesn't want a new one.

Favorite Features

All wheel drive, small SUV style, durability

Buyer Beware
By catrna

2002 Toyota RAV4 SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I have owned a 2002 for 5 years and while it seemed like a good car at first it is not. At 89000 miles the transmission died and is no longer covered buy warranty. After doing more web serarching I found that Many 2001-2003 Rav 4's have presented with this problem Toyota is aware of this but has not recalled. So unless you have monney in your pocket to shell out for car repaires don't buy.

Disappointed by Repairs
By myravsucks

2002 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bad camshaft had to be replaced at 90k miles. Vibrations and noise from manual transmission at 80k miles -dealer could not find anything wrong. Started slipping out of 5th gear at 100k miles requiring new transmission. This car has been babied and driven gently by one owner. All preventative maintenance performed regularly.

Favorite Features

Decent gas mileage, but you could buy a lot of gas for money that repairs have cost me.

Suggested Improvements

Make a more reliable vehicle

RAV 4
By gabster2

2002 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I had this car for 6 years and overall it was a very good car. It was extremely reliable. I never made any large repairs. It was beginning to lose all the little parts (power windows, thing that holds the back door open etc.). I live on a class 4 road and have really rough winters to contend with. It is a little top heavy but it got me through some fairly rough storms and mud. My biggest complaint was comfort while driving but I am a very small person.

Favorite Features

AWD Ground clearance

Suggested Improvements

Wheels are designed to capture mud! I had trouble with this every mud season. This car is rather noisy.

new transmission,etc. and a rental car for free!
By amigo4

2002 Toyota RAV4 SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

My transmission compleley died a week ago. I have some good news. It was towed to Precision Toyota, Tucson AZ; immediately I was told that there will be no charge for anything. And I was told just that way. I also was told that the repair can take up to 16 weeks. I called Toyota customer sercvice requesting a rental car for whatever time is takes for the repair. Received a call back the next day; I was advised to pick out the 2011 Toytoa car or van that I wanted to use from the rental department. I am now driving a 2011 Rav4 for free-and my car insurance covers the insurance. I am very happy!

problem fixed
By krealtors

2002 Toyota RAV4 SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I also had a transmission problem, but because of toyota they have extended the warranty until 10 yrs or 150,000 on 2002's not sure about other years. toyota dealer just replaced my computer and if problem comes back they will replace the transmission for FREE, I also didn't pay anything for the ECU (computer). I also believe service lady said they will also cover TCU as sell. so check with your local dealer.

Beware I'm done with all Toyota products
By 2002Rav4Sucks

2002 Toyota RAV4 SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Don't buy Toyota. Read the reviews here. All of them. Some people even posted a good review before the on- board computer fried and then burn the transmission. Or before the engine burnt from the known oil sludge problem. Then wrote another bad review. I paid $14,000 used. Good deal private party with 40k miles. At 88k miles the engine blew-up from oil sludge. I didn't know about the "oil sludge recall" until after I had it rebuilt for $4,500. Then at about 97k miles the jerking shifting started. This is my daughter's car so I took it in to my mechanic. He said on board computer $1300 and the transmission is cooked because of the computer problem. $5,600 for rebuild and new computer (cont'd

Favorite Features

..so then I went to Toyota direct and they said yep $5,600. I said NOPE, this is a known issue and went up and up and up the ladder and finally got the work done for $3,600 from the dealer. I was so happy. I saved myself $2,000 by complaining. My wife said, "big deal we paid them $3,600! no more.

Suggested Improvements

Today I found out the catalytic converter needs to be replaced and it's only a dealer item and is $750 for just the part. Any other after market catalytic converter is about $200 bucks. I'm done. I'm painting it yellow and parking it at the dealer.

Thanks for nothing Toyota!!!
By Toyotasux!!

2002 Toyota RAV4 SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Well I bought this vehicle back when Toyota still had a good reputation but sadly I will NEVER PURCHASE ANOTHER TOYOTA. The computer gave out so there was $1,300 to pay and after that the transmission went kaput so there goes another $3,000. Not to mention the horrifying experience of it stopping when turning left. Toyota does not care about its customers all they care about is your $$$$.

Favorite Features

It looks wonderful sitting in front of my house since i can't drive it.

Suggested Improvements

Make a vehicle that isn't junk.

Rav4=No worries
By FunSmart

2002 Toyota RAV4 SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

We I was looking for a car I back in 2006 grabbed the consumer report and this car showed the best rating of all (not only small SUV). I bought it used and through these years (today 2010) I have confirmed day by day that the reports were true. The Rav4 is spacious (you can easily remove the back seats) for cargo and passengers. The spare tire gives the sporty "Jeepy" look and unlike other cars there is no sacrifice of space to accommodate the tire inside the vehicle, so all that space left is yours to fill. Thanks to this the height of the base of the trunk is at or below your needs. Just go and compare this with other cars, you will find they are much higher.

Favorite Features

Space, low maintenance cost, handling and it's loaded standard!

Suggested Improvements

For the new models, go back to the previous like the 2002. It was already right why reinvent the wheel?