Used 2002 Toyota RAV4 SUV Consumer Reviews - 114 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Toyota RAV4 SUV

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:

Love This Car
By Maricruz

2002 Toyota RAV4 SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my 2002 RAV4 at 106k miles. It is now at 118k and it runs as good as a new car. It is so comfortable and so reliable. Ive only had to do the basic maintenance which include oil change and brake change. It is so great on gas. It looks newer than a 2002. The paint and parts are all original and it rides so smooth. My only complain is the spare tire cover, unfortunately it is too difficult to remove. Other than that everything about this truck is great.

Cockroach
By isnide23

2002 Toyota RAV4 SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I am the 3rd owner. bought it with 60k miles. right now it has 150k miles. all I have done is changed oil and tires. It has been on rough dirt roads, countless snowstorms and numerous road trips of 1000+ miles. I have driven the piss out of this car and taken it on dirt roads it probably should have stayed away from. Toyota knows how to make a reliable motor and powertrain. There is a reason Toyota dominates other companies on reliability. This vehicle is a cockroach that refused to slow down.

Not fast by anyone's definition, but the manual transmission makes it fun to drive and lets you use all the power the plunky 4 cylinder engine has.

Sell a turbo-diesel in the US please

I love my Rav4!
By kate66

2002 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my Rav4 used in 2006 with 34,000 miles. I have had absolutely no problems with it beyond normal maintenance. I have made multiple cross-country trips in it and have found it to be very comfortable even on long car rides. People can not believe how old my car is when they look at it. It still has its original paint, and people think it's brand new. I love the way it drive. It has a lot of road noise, but I knew that going into it. At 90,600, it's still going strong. I think I am one of the only people I know who not only loves my car but actually doesn't want a new one.

All wheel drive, small SUV style, durability

Buyer Beware
By catrna

2002 Toyota RAV4 SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I have owned a 2002 for 5 years and while it seemed like a good car at first it is not. At 89000 miles the transmission died and is no longer covered buy warranty. After doing more web serarching I found that Many 2001-2003 Rav 4's have presented with this problem Toyota is aware of this but has not recalled. So unless you have monney in your pocket to shell out for car repaires don't buy.

Disappointed by Repairs
By myravsucks

2002 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bad camshaft had to be replaced at 90k miles.
Vibrations and noise from manual transmission at 80k miles -dealer could not find anything wrong.
Started slipping out of 5th gear at 100k miles requiring new transmission.
This car has been babied and driven gently by one owner.
All preventative maintenance performed regularly.

Decent gas mileage, but you could buy a lot of gas for money that repairs have cost me.

Make a more reliable vehicle