Used 2002 Toyota RAV4 Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:

Cockroach
By isnide23

2002 Toyota RAV4 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I am the 3rd owner. bought it with 60k miles. right now it has 150k miles. all I have done is changed oil and tires. It has been on rough dirt roads, countless snowstorms and numerous road trips of 1000+ miles. I have driven the piss out of this car and taken it on dirt roads it probably should have stayed away from. Toyota knows how to make a reliable motor and powertrain. There is a reason Toyota dominates other companies on reliability. This vehicle is a cockroach that refused to slow down.

Not fast by anyone's definition, but the manual transmission makes it fun to drive and lets you use all the power the plunky 4 cylinder engine has.

Sell a turbo-diesel in the US please

Excellent value
By Camille

2002 Toyota RAV4 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my Rav4 for nearly 8 years and the only issue I ever had was with the engine light coming on within the first 2 or 3 years. Since the car was still under warranty, the O2 sensor that was causing the light to go on was replaced/repaired, and I've had no problems at all since then. With a standard transmission, it not only gets over 25 MPG even in city traffic, it also has great pick-up. I like having plenty of room. It came in handy when I moved. Removing and replacing the rear seats is challenging (but doable) for me, but for someone who isn't petite it might not be too difficult. I still think it's a good looking car, too. It's one of the wisest purchases I've ever made.

Great mileage, Lots of room for a small SUV, Peppy standard transmission

Make the rear seats easier to take out and put back. Make the body less vulnerable to dings. Make more of the upscale options available. Make it in a HYBRID!!! :-)

A big NO to Toyota again
By Phyllis

2002 Toyota RAV4 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The car is ok apart from the check engine light that keeps coming on. Had the ECM reprogrammed but so far nothing has changed. I wonder if Toyota still stands by their product if they can't take the responsibility of acknowledging their mistakes. I will never buy a Toyota car again.

None so far

Toyota needs to take care of their mistakes.

Poor Quality of work
By Pat McMullen

2002 Toyota RAV4 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

As a customer of Toyota, my wife and I are disappointed in the vehicle we have purchased. The Toyota Rav is only 7 years old and we need a new transmission. I have had 5 brand new cars in my life so far and never needed a new transmission installed as a maintenance problem with my cars. The Toyota was not in any kind of accident. I was told my the technician it was due to transmission fluid being low. I just think Toyota could do a better job of building their products than this. Everyone is saying how good Toyota is we decided to purchase our new Toyota vehicle but so disappointed to have the transmission gone with only 79,000 miles. Gear is slipping from 2nd to 3rd.

Good exterior built and looks and fun to drive.

Make better engines, especially transmission.

2002 RAV4 5spd
By RB

2002 Toyota RAV4 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought new in 2002. 5spd Stick, original clutch still going strong at 100000+... oil changed regularly, front brakes once, tires once, wiper blades, a couple of light bulbs... THAT's IT! Terrific little wagon!!! Best vehicle I've ever owned. Check Engine Light came on after about a year, reprogramming of the module was done at no cost and has never come on since! I'd definitely buy another!!!

Gas Mileage, fun to drive

Front seat ergonomics... Not the most comfortable...

• SUV