2001 Toyota RAV4 Consumer Review: Outstanding beach car

2001 Toyota RAV4 - Consumer Review

Base 4dr SUV (2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

Outstanding beach car
By justyn on

2001 Toyota RAV4 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I traded my 2000 Honda Civic in on this one in Dec of 2000 for the new rav4. I was highly impressed before I even bought it, especially with the way cool interior design. Afte buying, this car has blown me away with its reliability: I currently have 107,000 miles over 3 yrs, kept up with oil and maintenance, and the only problem I have had is replacing the brake pads twice total. Nothing else has gone wrong, and it has been unthinkably dependable. When you take out the back 2 seats, you've got more storage room than a Land Cruiser. Outstanding overall

Favorite Features

Interior design, location of the cup holders both front and back, ease of the sunroof, location of power outlets, sunglasses holder under the steering wheel (I agree with the other review that says I find something new in there about every 2-4 weeks)

Suggested Improvements

More power is the #1 issue. Brakes for mine have been fair to poor; I kept getting a lot of loud brake noise andhad to replace them twice. Gas mileage is ok on the highway (about 25- 26), but city is poor (about 20-22).