2001 Toyota RAV4 Consumer Review: NIce little SUV for the city

2001 Toyota RAV4 - Consumer Review

NIce little SUV for the city
By Jay on

2001 Toyota RAV4 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is a car/SUV that seems to do exactly what's intended for it. Design in and out are very sporty. I have the leather/sunroof package so it is essentially loaded with options. One option I did not get (and wouldn't) is AWD. There is simply not enough power from the engine to support the extra weight this option adds, and let's be realistic: how often is one really going to NEED AWD? I live in the Seattle area and travel to the mountains quite a bit - ground clearance is high enough to navigate pothole ridden forest service roads, and being from the midwest, I can manage driving in the snow without AWD. Gas milage for an SUV is pretty good as well - 22mpg city, and 30mpg highway.

I love how easy this car is to drive the most. It's small on the outside, yet big on the inside. I could haul a large gas barbeque grill I bought in it (without the rear seats in), and still manage to parallel park in an economy cars' spot when in the city. I also like the nice big sunroof.

I bought this car used and had to bring it to the dealer several times to fix brake problems (squeaks and minor shudders). After about 8000 miles its finally resolved. More sound deadening material would be nice as the interior is quite loud when driving on the interstate highways.