2001 Toyota RAV4 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:
Old Reliable
By JBG on 08/10/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my Rav for a little over a year. While it's very easy to drive, it lacks power and handling. It's size is adequate, and it's easy to park in smaller spaces thanks to the short front end. I'm not too crazy about the exterior design. While it's an improvement over the original body style, it's a little too "cutesie" for me. It's almost like a station wagon on steroids. Anyway, overall, it's roomy enough to be comfortable on long trips, and for the price, it's a dependable little car.

Rav4 Notes
By kennedydh on 07/29/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Still a little under powered for starts and occasional towing.

2001 Toyota RAV4
By Rob Ryan on 07/18/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Acceleration of this vehicle is extremely poor,and is very poor when the engine is cold.Fuel economy is good, and is comfortable to drive. Other than the very poor acceleration of this vehicle, it's been a good SUV.

Time To Get rid Of My TOYota
By toy time on 06/22/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Sadly disappointed in reliability department. Have had the brakes replaced numerous times and had to have to computer replaced at 10,000miles and reflashed again at 22,000 miles. Poor customer sat from toyota. I previously owned a 98 Camery and to date was the best vehicle that I owned. Sorry Toyota but after the service I received and the numerous problems with this vehicle I will GLADLY take my business elsewhere.

Rave on Rav4
By Marjory on 04/10/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Great car to buzz around the city in. It's height gives you an advantage compared to a sedan, and the turning radius combined with a compact body makes tough parking a breeze. The AWD has a great impact on winter roads and you feel very safe/grounded.

Jay Z
By Jay Z on 03/31/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota RAV4 SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

A pleasure to drive albeit it has the L upgrade package.

What a let down!
By Fooled by the Hype on 03/22/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota RAV4 SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had the vehicle for less than a year and I've had the brakes replaced (this was one of their technical service bullitens--a recall they didn't want me to know about until after the brakes failed and left me smashed at the bottom of a cliff somewhere), new pads put on, the stereo has had to be replaced--all this on top of it's horribly slow pick up (transmission won't shift until it warms up), and other odd noises that make me question the reliability almost daily! I've had enough--I'm trading in this piece of @#!* for a Hyundai! Toyota really blew it for me--I'm telling everyone I know and I'll probably never buy one again!!

review
By FredK on 02/28/02 15:22 PM (PST)

2001 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Problems with body rattles and electrical. When cold will not pick up -really lags. noisey engine which is underpowered.Poor rear visibility when backing up.