Used 2001 Toyota RAV4 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:

2001 Rav4 L Black
By Lee Suess

2001 Toyota RAV4 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had many vehicles since I started driving in 1966 and the Rav4 has to rank in the top 5 of all of them. That's pretty good because all the rest of them were cars, no trucks or SUVs. I've taken it on several trips over 500 miles and it's as comfortable as my Acura 3.2TL S Type. The combination of ride and handling is unbelieveable for an SUV and with the 5 speed manual it has plenty of acceleration. Most people can't believe how much room there is in the back especially when the rear seats are removed. I'm surprised that Toyota doesn't advertise this vehicle more for as good as it is.

Favorite Features

Handling Looks Quality Utility

Suggested Improvements

none

Best compact SUV I've driven
By dwoud

2001 Toyota RAV4 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have put many miles on the car, and some rugged off roading (quite a bit) I've never been stranded on the side of the road. Horsepower is lacking but the rewards are seen at the gas pump. The five speed manual gear box helps over come the power issue. At 255,000km. I am Getting the best fuel milage yet!! Lets hope for a hybrid! The limited slip differential is a little "week" but as long as the car is still moving it will pull though almost anything.

Favorite Features

My favorit feature is the car's quality.

Suggested Improvements

Cabin room and more engine output or a on demand increased engine output button or equivialnt

not a bad little suv
By Jody brad

2001 Toyota RAV4 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

bought toyota after my husband had his truck for 18 years and he bought it used. it didn't cost us anything. i had a ford exploder with acutaly did explode. bought toyota after much research. i am happy with this vehichle although i too have had problems with stereo (had to be replaced), check engine light, rattle in my back door (took a year to be fixed finally) and other small things. I have had it 3.5 years and i would buy it again. I just hope the reliability I reasearched comes through for me till the end. Definetly go for the 5spd

Favorite Features

design, seat flexability, fun to drive

Suggested Improvements

Better rear visibility, back window that opens up

2001 Toyota Rav4 Review
By etodd4

2001 Toyota RAV4 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The car is great to drive. It handles exceptionally and is actually quite high off the ground.

Favorite Features

The turning radius.

Suggested Improvements

Better factory sound system, and offer factory leather.

Best compact SUV
By Marc Leaderman

2001 Toyota RAV4 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

If you want a speed/handling, car-based SUV with very good fuel-economy and the very best driver's seat-comfort/support, the newer-model-year RAV4 is far ahead of the rest of 'em. Toyota has a penchant for the best and the brightest cars/SUVs and trucks. This one again makes its nearest competitors, Ford's Escape/Mazda's Tribute into also-rans.

Favorite Features

The 4-banger drive-train/suspension give an excellent performance-rating--I've driven closed-course "testing", semi-competively; the RAV4 was the best.

Suggested Improvements

Make the RAV4 have more carrying-weight than the present 750 lb. "limit".