Used 2001 Toyota RAV4 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:

First owned car!
By Evan "Rudy"

2001 Toyota RAV4 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We bought our silver, 5-speed, L series beauty-of-a-car on Mother's Day of this year. So far we ABSOLUTLY love it! We got it with 70,311 miles and it drives like brand new! and it has 73,423 miles (as of 7/20/05) now. We haven't actually tried the AWD the way it was built yet, but some friends of ours that have one says that "it drives as if there weren't any snow" do I'm anxious to try it out! I've notice a hair-line crack where the plastic aluminum on the driver's door handle is. The sound is --okay. Over all I'd give the car... well let's just say that I'm gonna be buying another one someday! :) It's a BIG step up from 2000's model, it looks sexy!

Favorite Features

Incredible power for it's engine! Love the 5-speed! VERY comfortable, almost like a Lexus!! NO RATTLING! WONDERFUL how quick the brakes respond!

Suggested Improvements

The sound is defintally not a Bose system or Harmon Kardon, maybe the door handles could have been enforced with something a little stronger. Maybe use actual aluminum or something that looks more like aluminum...

NIce little SUV for the city
By Jay

2001 Toyota RAV4 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is a car/SUV that seems to do exactly what's intended for it. Design in and out are very sporty. I have the leather/sunroof package so it is essentially loaded with options. One option I did not get (and wouldn't) is AWD. There is simply not enough power from the engine to support the extra weight this option adds, and let's be realistic: how often is one really going to NEED AWD? I live in the Seattle area and travel to the mountains quite a bit - ground clearance is high enough to navigate pothole ridden forest service roads, and being from the midwest, I can manage driving in the snow without AWD. Gas milage for an SUV is pretty good as well - 22mpg city, and 30mpg highway.

Favorite Features

I love how easy this car is to drive the most. It's small on the outside, yet big on the inside. I could haul a large gas barbeque grill I bought in it (without the rear seats in), and still manage to parallel park in an economy cars' spot when in the city. I also like the nice big sunroof.

Suggested Improvements

I bought this car used and had to bring it to the dealer several times to fix brake problems (squeaks and minor shudders). After about 8000 miles its finally resolved. More sound deadening material would be nice as the interior is quite loud when driving on the interstate highways.

Can't Say Enough
By DPH

2001 Toyota RAV4 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This has been just a great little car - I still have fun driving it. Even on trips it has provided plenty of comfort, partly because there is so much leg and head room. I can't complain that it lacks power; what would one expect from a 4-cylinder SUV? Snow and up-hill driveway is an issue where we live, and with studded snow tires, this is a little army tank!

Favorite Features

Nibble to drive, with a short body and and small turning radius, it handles great on dirt or pavement, city or country.

Suggested Improvements

Power would be the common complaint I've seen, but that would mean a bigger engine. Bigger engine would mean less gas mileage and less agility.

Rav4
By sam

2001 Toyota RAV4 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car will never break down. Extremely reliable. It's a fun car with nice exterior stylings. Decent capacity inside for cargo or passengers.

Favorite Features

Removable rear seats, allows room for recreational gear; you can remove one or both rear seats. CD + cassette combo, really nice to have both.

My First Car I Bought On My Own
By Diana

2001 Toyota RAV4 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

What a fun car to drive! I have always been a fan of the manual transmission, ever since learning to drive on the Rambler with 3 on the "tree". Guess manuals are a dying breed. I was so lucky to get the 5speed in the gold color I wanted. Yes, I have the dash rattle, but it is very infrequent. Besides I always have the radio on so it's not really a problem.

Favorite Features

5 SPEED, handling, exterior design as the body side molding is perfectly placed so I still have no door dings!! versatility of the cargo area, reliability,

Suggested Improvements

speakers have poor quality in the standard system, needs power antenna as it's in the way when cleaning the windshield and going through the carwash.