2001 Toyota RAV4 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:
We love it review
By Fillers on 01/23/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota RAV4 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I drive this auto to work but my husband loves to drive it also. We usually end up taking it on trips because of the good gas mileage and because we like to travel in it.

Excellent little SUV, needs about 30HP
By Karrock on 01/16/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota RAV4 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The RAV4 is the first and best in its class. Others are overly large (Who needs a V6 in an SUV this small? If I need a V6, I'll probably want a bigger SUV) or too trucklike and rough around the edges (Blazer Sport, Sportage, Grand Vitara, Tracker, Rodeo Sport, Liberty, Wrangler). The overly- glorified CR-V can be best described as either a very short Volvo or a boxy minivan. The Element? What were they thinking???

Rattle Trap
By Run on 01/09/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota RAV4 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My Rav4 rattled at the bottom of the windshield and the breaks started to squeak before I traded it. I repeatedly tried to have the rattle fixed but it always returned. If you want a quiet car, get something else that is what I did. The Rav4 is easy to park and drive on flat roads, but struggles to make it uphill.

Is RAV4 really made by Toyota?
By everliv on 12/24/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota RAV4 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Rattle, Squeak, Rattle, Creak... That pretty much sums up my experience with my RAV4...not to mention the "Check Engine Light" syndrome... I have only owned Hondas and this was my first Toyota...and I have to admit, this is the worst car I have ever owned. Don't buy this car.

2001 RAV4L 2WD
By Jeff Adkins on 11/13/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota RAV4 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is the most fun I've had with a Toyota. Perfect vehicle for active D.I.N.K.'s (dual income no kids) with dogs, and weekend home projects. Put new All Terrain tires on it. Now we are really going to have fun.

Too many problems
By blondie on 10/29/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota RAV4 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car loaded in August of 2001 for $24,000, currently have 13,000 miles. Have had it in the shop three times. Rear brakes replaced twice, fuel gauge and sending unit replaced. Now have brake problem in front and have problems with the CD player going into error mode. I am not happy with this car at all. Car is now starting to develop rattles. Poor power, fair gas mileage and a bit noisy. I've owned Toyota's, Honda's and Mazada's, this car is the worst by far.

no problems, great for my wife
By BrianJ on 10/07/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota RAV4 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Overall a good "cute SUV". Haven't had any problems with it. Only getting 20mpg. Kind of weak accelerating, but it's not supposed to be a sports car. The rear seats remove easily for hauling medium size stuff (bikes, etc.). Body design is a major improvement over previous models.

no problems, great for my wife
By Brianj on 10/07/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

Nice 2002
By caccar on 09/04/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota RAV4 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I put 30,000 miles on in 8 months. Not a single problem. All wheel drive excellent in 6" snow and on steep muddy mountain roads.

A Big Headache!
By SunGodess904 on 08/19/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota RAV4 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this car in August 2001. It has been in the shop 5 times for repairs. This is not quite what I have been accostomed to in new car purchases. Toyota needs to take a good look at the design of this auto. Fun to drive but certainly not worth the aggravation of scheduling recurring problems.