Used 2001 Toyota RAV4 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Toyota RAV4

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:

Good little SUV
By Alex J

2001 Toyota RAV4 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The Rav4 is a comfortable little SUV. It is not the most powerfull, but it gets great MPG (When driven nicely). Seats are nice and supportive, and the silver/metal looking plastic looks upscale, even if your not sure what it exacly is. The AWD is nice and is needed in the rockies.

Favorite Features

Tailgate- makes loading easy. MPG- 24 in the city 30 highway. Fit & finish is very nice

It's All That!
By Sheridan McDaniel

2001 Toyota RAV4 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This SUV has class and quality I've never experienced. The four years plus of owning this vehicle, the only issue I've ever had with it is taking it in for its required maintenance. I don't think I can ever get a better quality and more affortable vehicle unless it's a Toyota. The only reason I am departing from it is that I need more room due to medical issues, which leads me to the new 2006 that has more room. I haven't checked it out yet but if the driver seat gives me more room, then Toyota has won me over again. I will never purchase another motor vehicle outside of Toyota. I hate having to give my SUV up, but I feel like I am getting a big promotion to what Toyota has to offer me next.

Favorite Features

My favorite feature is the low gas consumption. When I pull into the gas station I feel true bless for the extra funds I don't have to shell out. Also, love being able to make the quick lane changes with ease. It's a very sporty classy SUV and I've had great compliments on it over the years.

Suggested Improvements

The only improvement I really needed was more room in the driver seat, which I hope has been done in the RAV4 2006.

The Rav4 that goes and goes
By Sean

2001 Toyota RAV4 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I'm an onsite computer tech. I average 225 miles per day in this Rav4, I bought it with 51k on it now has 150k on it only prob I've ever had was the cat converter. It has been a great car, most reliable car I've ever owned and in my line of work that means money. Great on gas, great on getting me to the client and home again, and fun to drive.

Great, fun car to drive!
By Isela

2001 Toyota RAV4 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my Rav 4 for almost 5 years. I'm about to go over the 100K mile mark and it's been doing great. The only downside is that the 2001 model has something wrong with the Oxygen sensor software. I had it fail on me around 65K miles and again at about 82K. It was covered under warranty both times and is around an $80 fix for the next time it comes down the line. Not really a big problem, but it makes the check engine light go off.

Favorite Features

Spacious seating. Easy to remove back seats for lugging things around. It also has a power outlet in the back like the lighter outlet in the front. Always useful for camping and plugging in those refrigerated coolers.

Suggested Improvements

Find a permanent fix for the O2 sensor bug.

2001 RAV4
By Jack T. Sauerland

2001 Toyota RAV4 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Great little car. I enjoy driving it and it is easy to enter and exit. Good power and acceleration while getting good gas mileage (about 21.5 mpg).

Favorite Features

I like the looks, the room, and the fairly-upright seating.

Suggested Improvements

The car is noisy inside (road noise). The package shelf/luggage cover is inconvenient and poorly designed. Rear headrests interfere with folding of the seats. The air filter housing tabs broke. Battery access is inconvenient. Seat mounting brackets rusted.