2001 Toyota RAV4 Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

Fun & Sporty
By rktect

2001 Toyota RAV4 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I own two RAV4s and I have yet to have any problems with them. The "L" series is very fun to drive and it's handling is pretty good for a 4 cylinder. I have yet to get trapped in the 2+ feet of snow in the winter time. All the interior features are very easy to operate and are all in hands reach. This SUV gets two thimbs up!!

Favorite Features

Sporty Look and good handling

Suggested Improvements

Stronger 4 cylinder or use a V-6

I love my Rav!!!!
By kmark

2001 Toyota RAV4 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I traded in a 2001 Dodge Ram Ext. Cab Half-ton for my Rav4. I wanted an automobile that was different, fun, and econioical! I hit the jackpot with my Rav4. I average 30 miles to the gallon. I save over $100 per month in gas, from what I was paying with my Dodge. The Rav4 fits my family of four very comfortable, and the cargo space is very well designed. It is so much fun to drive!

Favorite Features

It seems like every couple of weeks, I find a new feature that I didn't know was there. My favorite feature is the overall way it looks. It is just a very attractive vehicle. I also like the TEXT option on the stereo. The seat are very comfortable, too.

Suggested Improvements

Side airbags, heated side mirrors, and a display of the outside temperature.

i like my rav
By kaat51

2001 Toyota RAV4 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

i have always liked the style of the rav 4. even more so when the 2001's came out. i too agree that they need a little more power and a little less outside noise inside. the only problem i have had was kind of unusual in so far as my headlights would go out for no apparent reason and then come back on. they fixed a switch the first time but it continued to happen and they never could find out why or duplicate the incident. eventually it stopped totally for whatever reason and has not happened since. explanation???? beats me!! overall i like my rav and to me you can't beat the exterior styling,very sporty.

Favorite Features

the exterior styling is my favorite feature. the interior is not too bad either, but the looks have it.

Suggested Improvements

offer rebates and incentives. more interior colors to choose from and more power.

the best
By cepi

2001 Toyota RAV4 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car, already put 45000 miles and runs excellent,feels very firm.No problems at all, i previously owned a ml320 mercedez 2000 and is nothing better than my toyota,I have a friend who owns a 1998 rav4 with 256000 miles and he is very very happy an ready to put more miles. Not bad for a 4 cylinders car don't you think?

Favorite Features

firm,excellent reliability,great head room(I am 6'2 275p)and fit perfect

Suggested Improvements

nothing

02 RAV - Great Car and Great Value
By rickrossrr

2001 Toyota RAV4 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We have 2 RAV 4's, a 1999 and a 2001. We enjoy both but the 2001 was significantly improved over the 99. The new body style was our favorite change.

Favorite Features

Gas milage is 20 to 30 mpg.

Suggested Improvements

The transmission is not as smooth as it could be in heavy traffic situations at lower speeds.

Everything I was hoping for...
By Erik

2001 Toyota RAV4 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car. Truck. Cluck. It is a touch underpowered at 4 cylinders, but that would have been my choice anyway. Toyota should really offer a six. This is my first experience with AWD. I won't go back. It handles the snow here in the Northeast very well. I still, two years later, think this is a snazzy looking car. If you are on the fence, you won't do better than this one.

Favorite Features

AWD, interior comfort, ability to remove rear seats, value, aesthetics.

Suggested Improvements

Toyota should offer a six. I have had some brake noise and a little interior rattle. They were all covered under my warranty; Toyota has Technical Service Bulletins on them.

RAV4 Headaches
By ChadA9

2001 Toyota RAV4 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this vehicle for two years, It's been in the shop on average every two to three months. They have looked at the brake system four times and replaced the back brake drum once. It still has problems. The interior rattles. It's been in the shop several times to fix those. In May of 02' the cadillic converter went out. Toyota had it for over a month (Could not get parts). This is my first Toyota and most-likely my last. These are the types of problems I would expect on a 5 year old American made car not Toyota!!!

Favorite Features

AWD is great.

Suggested Improvements

Brake System, Rattle free interior and more Horsepower...

First Toyota...........was a Honda man
By JulianOfAlabama

2001 Toyota RAV4 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I went to purchase a Honda, Accord...but the new RAV4 body style caugth my attention. This may be my first Toyota....but we have had Fun together......what a great ride'n auto. Just enough room for me and my bike...a few friends...love the road trips...May I point out the great gas milage! After several Honda, Accords all with 150,000 or 300,000 this is a JOY, hope to get the same for the Toyota!

Favorite Features

GREAT SUV.....just for ME! Ican put my bike in the back....take it to the right spot....and enjoy! Cool looking to cruise and fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Perhaps....a V6 would hurt the gas milage........but others my like the option.....I like it just the way it is! I wonder why I don't see TV adds...or more on the road...with the 4cyl. its a plus.

Love it
By Snraek

2001 Toyota RAV4 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Love it. We were prepared to buy another product until we happened across the re- designed RAV 2001. Great in the snow.

Favorite Features

Leg & head room for rear passengers. Full range tilt steering wheel.

Suggested Improvements

Variable Intermittent Wipers, Armrests on inside of front seats.

Is it really an SUV?
By Jeffrey R. Broido

2001 Toyota RAV4 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is a great car, plain and simple. It's not really an SUV, having been built on a Camry- not a truck chassis. The center of gravity is low, the car is wider and shorter than a sedan, it's a cinch to park, has a great turning radius and, best of all, handles more like a sports car than a Jeep. It's a bit under-powered and gets minimally acceptable fuel mileage, but we live with it. A great vehicle all around, especially with the rear seats removed to yield a cavernous cargo area.

Favorite Features

Comfort, handling, fun.

Suggested Improvements

More efficient engine, a bit less road noise.