Used 2001 Toyota RAV4 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Toyota Rav4 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:

93,000 Miles Later and BETRAYED!
By Dissappointed

2001 Toyota RAV4 SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

It was good overall. I kept up with all regular scheduled maintenance. First the Catalytic Converter went out at approximately 74,000 miles. Of course, the brakes had to be replaced more than other cars, and now at 92,000 miles I had to replace the transmission solenoid for $1,600. Next, might be the transmission, for $3,000 dollars more. Had both of them gone out it would have been a downpayment on a new car. So, that's all I have to say.

Favorite Features

Fun car, sporty looking, comfortable interior design and roomy. From that height, I had good visibility.

Suggested Improvements

Catalytic converter needs improvement, brake system needs improvement and solenoid system needs improvement (maybe a recall), also a warning should be given on the expensive transmission. How about standard 100,000 mi warranty.

Still Crazy (about it) after 6 yrs.
By Jeffty

2001 Toyota RAV4 SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Totally dependable, solid and always fun and economical to drive. 4-cyl. w/5-speed manual likes to rev high and zoom along. Zippier than you'd imagine, very stable manuvering and braking. I get an average of 27 mpg combined and up to 31 mpg on a long, slow trip. Original Toyo tires were unspectacular but a set of Michelins made a real improvement especially in the wet. The quartet of engine sensors were a bit troublesome, three already replaced before 70k miles. Now at 100k miles it still feels solid and fun to drive. I plan on keeping this one for the duration and I feel pretty optimistic about a good,long life for this one. I would buy another in a heartbeat.

Favorite Features

A really willing engine and stable footprint keeps it fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Maybe stronger headlights?

RAV4 2001
By Ted

2001 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

About ready to trade/sell this vehicle for another Toyota. It has been a superb car. Not as comfortable on long trips as I was hoping. Extremely reliable with excellent body integrity.

RAV4 built tough
By SeanMCD

2001 Toyota RAV4 SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have driven this car 130,000 miles in 3 yrs, had 51k when I bought it. I do on site computer service work for major computer service company. This car has never failed me, not even once! The only thing Ive had to do is oil, plugs, brakes, tires. Catalytic converter failed at 78k was covered by warranty, O2 sensors went out at 120k, those are the only mechanical issues Ive had. I've beat this car to death and keeps going, it's been across a few creeks, miles and miles of muddy dirt roads, up and down mountains, through hail, wind sheers, you name it this car can handle it ! I'm sold on Toyota for life!

the love of my life
By LS

2001 Toyota RAV4 SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Rav4 brand new with 15 miles on it. I will reach 100,000 miles within the next week. I fell in love with this little baby the first time I saw it and love it more every day. It is very dependable and I enjoy driving it more than any other vehicle I have ever owned. I will drive this one unitl the wheels fall off. It is tru love.

Favorite Features

Dependability and it is fun to drive. It is also very, very cute. The inside looks very nice and it rides very comfortably.

Suggested Improvements

The bumpers and fenders should have been made out of a different material. They have faded and the fenders are starting to peel some. I also think some of the interior items could have been constructed a little better.