Used 2001 Toyota RAV4 SUV Consumer Reviews - 69 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:

7 1/2 years and still going
By SuMac

2001 Toyota RAV4 SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought my RAV4L in Nov 2000. She has over 110,000 miles now and still going strong. I have only done regular maintenance. The only thing that has failed is the passenger power lock is not working (which could be related to the add-on car starter/door opener package I had put on). Called today to see about a "timing belt" change (since I've never done that and everyone said I should) -- only to find out that once again, Toyota has outdone themselves and the timing CHAIN never needs replacing. So she's getting a tuneup next week. I've had her detailed 2 times and both times she looks like a brand new car afterward. I hope to see 300,000 miles on this one! Gas mileage: 27 / 29.

Overall a great car. Love the seat removal; can haul many things; only maintenance has been oil/air filters, etc. Easy to drive/ maneuver/park. Good gas mileage for the style. I AM A PROUD OWNER of a RAV4

I have none -- except if Toyota doesn't have a comparable car in 12 years when this one retires.

93,000 Miles Later and BETRAYED!
By Dissappointed

2001 Toyota RAV4 SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

It was good overall. I kept up with all regular scheduled maintenance. First the Catalytic Converter went out at approximately 74,000 miles. Of course, the brakes had to be replaced more than other cars, and now at 92,000 miles I had to replace the transmission solenoid for $1,600. Next, might be the transmission, for $3,000 dollars more. Had both of them gone out it would have been a downpayment on a new car. So, that's all I have to say.

Fun car, sporty looking, comfortable interior design and roomy. From that height, I had good visibility.

Catalytic converter needs improvement, brake system needs improvement and solenoid system needs improvement (maybe a recall), also a warning should be given on the expensive transmission. How about standard 100,000 mi warranty.

Still Crazy (about it) after 6 yrs.
By Jeffty

2001 Toyota RAV4 SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Totally dependable, solid and always fun and economical to drive. 4-cyl. w/5-speed manual likes to rev high and zoom along. Zippier than you'd imagine, very stable manuvering and braking. I get an average of 27 mpg combined and up to 31 mpg on a long, slow trip. Original Toyo tires were unspectacular but a set of Michelins made a real improvement especially in the wet. The quartet of engine sensors were a bit troublesome, three already replaced before 70k miles. Now at 100k miles it still feels solid and fun to drive. I plan on keeping this one for the duration and I feel pretty optimistic about a good,long life for this one. I would buy another in a heartbeat.

A really willing engine and stable footprint keeps it fun to drive.

Maybe stronger headlights?

RAV4 2001
By Ted

2001 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

About ready to trade/sell this vehicle for another Toyota. It has been a superb car. Not as comfortable on long trips as I was hoping. Extremely reliable with excellent body integrity.

RAV4 built tough
By SeanMCD

2001 Toyota RAV4 SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have driven this car 130,000 miles in 3 yrs, had 51k when I bought it. I do on site computer service work for major computer service company. This car has never failed me, not even once! The only thing Ive had to do is oil, plugs, brakes, tires. Catalytic converter failed at 78k was covered by warranty, O2 sensors went out at 120k, those are the only mechanical issues Ive had. I've beat this car to death and keeps going, it's been across a few creeks, miles and miles of muddy dirt roads, up and down mountains, through hail, wind sheers, you name it this car can handle it ! I'm sold on Toyota for life!