Used 2001 Toyota RAV4 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:

2001 RAV4 Bullet proof reliabilty
By Jimboo2

2001 Toyota RAV4 SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We bought in Dec. 2000 brand new to replace Tercel. Love compactness with great interior room. Fun to drive fits anywhere. Bulletproof reliability. Wife never wants to sell. Replaced timing chain at 60K and had O2 sensor done at 62K. I really wonder if dealership is the best place for repairs, very expensive. Live in New England and put on Bridgestone Blizzaks in Nov. runs thru foot of snow like AWD. Excellent value.

Usable interior space with parking very easy. Good acceleration and small turning radius. RELIABILITY.

Could use more comfortable seats for longer journeys.

Problem with headlight bulbs/burning out
By Terry Bond

2001 Toyota RAV4 SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Been a great car, plenty of storage and seating. Easy to drive, and other than Headlight Bulbs, virtually trouble free at 97,000 miles! Gas mileage could be better, but I am not complaining at about 25 mpg overall. Some rattles but not bad, usually able to find and fix-usually a loose screw on interior plastic. Would sure like to know why we seem to go thru 2 sets of Headlight bulbs a year! Started slowly but seem to burn out one side or the other about every 6 to 8 months! Dealer and electrical shop say everything tests fine?

Think I listed them, Great Car, So Far/97,000+ and still going.

Battery IS IN VERY BAD LOCATION! Can't Jump without Dismantling the Cowl! Bad Design-Fixed in later models.

I LOVE IT!!!
By Whoo-hoo!!

2001 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I just bought this car with 125,000 miles on it. I know, by reputation, that this is pretty much just broken in for a Toyota. The car handles beautifully. I have been using it for business, and I have no complaints. I have always wanted one, and now, I FINALLY HAVE IT!! Peppy, and FUN to drive! I'll drive it until the wheels fall off, which I am sure will be a long, long time!

318,000 and still going
By Laurea McLeon

2001 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My Rav has been in 4 major accidents and has over 318,000 miles on it and it is still going stong. I wouldn't part with this car unless you gave me another one...well maybe if you gave me a Highlander.. :-}

7 1/2 years and still going
By SuMac

2001 Toyota RAV4 SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought my RAV4L in Nov 2000. She has over 110,000 miles now and still going strong. I have only done regular maintenance. The only thing that has failed is the passenger power lock is not working (which could be related to the add-on car starter/door opener package I had put on). Called today to see about a "timing belt" change (since I've never done that and everyone said I should) -- only to find out that once again, Toyota has outdone themselves and the timing CHAIN never needs replacing. So she's getting a tuneup next week. I've had her detailed 2 times and both times she looks like a brand new car afterward. I hope to see 300,000 miles on this one! Gas mileage: 27 / 29.

Overall a great car. Love the seat removal; can haul many things; only maintenance has been oil/air filters, etc. Easy to drive/ maneuver/park. Good gas mileage for the style. I AM A PROUD OWNER of a RAV4

I have none -- except if Toyota doesn't have a comparable car in 12 years when this one retires.