Used 2001 Toyota RAV4 Consumer Reviews - 69 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:

used RAV4 after 6 years
By Bikerrandy

2001 Toyota RAV4 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We bought our RAV4 used after a lease turnin @ 36K miles. We've put 46K on it so far. At first we drove it 100+ mi. a day commuting. Now we're both retired and it get's a lot less use, but it is 1 of the best cars we have ever owned in so many ways. On the road we get 30-31 mpg on reg. I've towed 1,500#s of stuff from norCal to Canada effortlessly. I've heard lately some owners have had auto. tranny disasters. We have seen nothing of that so far. I wonder if it's how others use their RAV4. We don't do much stop & go. Finally had to replace the front brake pads at 73.6K mi. I've owned Toyotas both new & used since `75 and have never regretted it. We hope to keep this car forever

Easy parking, comfort, leg room, little extras like can holders, acc. plugs, hooks for groceries, removable rear seats, ease of rear door opening.

2001 RAV4 Bullet proof reliabilty
By Jimboo2

2001 Toyota RAV4 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We bought in Dec. 2000 brand new to replace Tercel. Love compactness with great interior room. Fun to drive fits anywhere. Bulletproof reliability. Wife never wants to sell. Replaced timing chain at 60K and had O2 sensor done at 62K. I really wonder if dealership is the best place for repairs, very expensive. Live in New England and put on Bridgestone Blizzaks in Nov. runs thru foot of snow like AWD. Excellent value.

Usable interior space with parking very easy. Good acceleration and small turning radius. RELIABILITY.

Could use more comfortable seats for longer journeys.

Problem with headlight bulbs/burning out
By Terry Bond

2001 Toyota RAV4 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Been a great car, plenty of storage and seating. Easy to drive, and other than Headlight Bulbs, virtually trouble free at 97,000 miles! Gas mileage could be better, but I am not complaining at about 25 mpg overall. Some rattles but not bad, usually able to find and fix-usually a loose screw on interior plastic. Would sure like to know why we seem to go thru 2 sets of Headlight bulbs a year! Started slowly but seem to burn out one side or the other about every 6 to 8 months! Dealer and electrical shop say everything tests fine?

Think I listed them, Great Car, So Far/97,000+ and still going.

Battery IS IN VERY BAD LOCATION! Can't Jump without Dismantling the Cowl! Bad Design-Fixed in later models.

I LOVE IT!!!
By Whoo-hoo!!

2001 Toyota RAV4 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I just bought this car with 125,000 miles on it. I know, by reputation, that this is pretty much just broken in for a Toyota. The car handles beautifully. I have been using it for business, and I have no complaints. I have always wanted one, and now, I FINALLY HAVE IT!! Peppy, and FUN to drive! I'll drive it until the wheels fall off, which I am sure will be a long, long time!

318,000 and still going
By Laurea McLeon

2001 Toyota RAV4 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My Rav has been in 4 major accidents and has over 318,000 miles on it and it is still going stong. I wouldn't part with this car unless you gave me another one...well maybe if you gave me a Highlander.. :-}