2001 Toyota RAV4 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:
93,000 Miles Later and BETRAYED!
By Dissappointed on 10/27/07 14:25 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota RAV4 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

It was good overall. I kept up with all regular scheduled maintenance. First the Catalytic Converter went out at approximately 74,000 miles. Of course, the brakes had to be replaced more than other cars, and now at 92,000 miles I had to replace the transmission solenoid for $1,600. Next, might be the transmission, for $3,000 dollars more. Had both of them gone out it would have been a downpayment on a new car. So, that's all I have to say.

Still Crazy (about it) after 6 yrs.
By Jeffty on 09/26/07 15:47 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota RAV4 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Totally dependable, solid and always fun and economical to drive. 4-cyl. w/5-speed manual likes to rev high and zoom along. Zippier than you'd imagine, very stable manuvering and braking. I get an average of 27 mpg combined and up to 31 mpg on a long, slow trip. Original Toyo tires were unspectacular but a set of Michelins made a real improvement especially in the wet. The quartet of engine sensors were a bit troublesome, three already replaced before 70k miles. Now at 100k miles it still feels solid and fun to drive. I plan on keeping this one for the duration and I feel pretty optimistic about a good,long life for this one. I would buy another in a heartbeat.

RAV4 2001
By Ted on 09/18/07 13:54 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota RAV4 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

About ready to trade/sell this vehicle for another Toyota. It has been a superb car. Not as comfortable on long trips as I was hoping. Extremely reliable with excellent body integrity.

RAV4 built tough
By SeanMCD on 07/10/07 18:51 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota RAV4 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have driven this car 130,000 miles in 3 yrs, had 51k when I bought it. I do on site computer service work for major computer service company. This car has never failed me, not even once! The only thing Ive had to do is oil, plugs, brakes, tires. Catalytic converter failed at 78k was covered by warranty, O2 sensors went out at 120k, those are the only mechanical issues Ive had. I've beat this car to death and keeps going, it's been across a few creeks, miles and miles of muddy dirt roads, up and down mountains, through hail, wind sheers, you name it this car can handle it ! I'm sold on Toyota for life!

the love of my life
By LS on 02/14/07 18:09 PM (PST)

2001 Toyota RAV4 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Rav4 brand new with 15 miles on it. I will reach 100,000 miles within the next week. I fell in love with this little baby the first time I saw it and love it more every day. It is very dependable and I enjoy driving it more than any other vehicle I have ever owned. I will drive this one unitl the wheels fall off. It is tru love.

takes a licking...keeps on going!
By debbie on 01/29/07 11:07 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota RAV4 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Wonderful ride- great gas milage- was involved in fender bender and the other car faired much worse.Great vehicle for long distance trips. This car would benifit from Bose stereo as standard equip.All in all very dependable ride for the money.

Fun car
By My rav on 01/09/07 21:04 PM (PST)

2001 Toyota RAV4 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We've had our car since July 2001. Aside from the lousy gas mileage around the city 17 and 20-21 hwy, it's been a really fun ride. The AWD grips really well and give the car a nice ride. The acceleration is a bit sluggish at times, but it has a really nice ride once it's going. The rotors are cheap, constantly need shaving, so they'll be replaced. I had the infamous 420 & 440 (O2 codes), so I'm hoping that the reprogramming doesn't kill off my O2 sensors and catalytic converter.

A fun car
By ToyRaver on 12/30/06 10:24 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota RAV4 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have the AWD L edition. I've had this car for 5 yrs already and have 52k mi. It's a nimble car, pretty good ride and pretty good looking. The only problems I find are the low 17 mpg avg in NYC, very noisy in fast traffic and the brakes. It has very good handling. Worked great in the snow, but then again we rarely get snow here. We've been using Amsoil synthetic in the engine and the gears. Overall it's a great car to have w/ the main exception of the poor mileage. I've already had the 02 check engine light and the charcoal canister engine light too. For now, I had the comp upgrade, still waiting on my 02/cata conver disaster known for 01's.

Love It!
By fourthrowe on 08/18/06 15:03 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota RAV4 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I recently purchased this vehicle with 67K miles on it. I love it. First, for a tall wagon it gets great mileage (I see 24 in reality, mostly city driving). It has cargo room enough to haul most practical loads. It is also very quick considering its a 4 cylinder suv. Brakes, steering, suspension all very responsive. Not great for stop and go traffic because it makes almost no power below 2500 rpm. Took me a while to not spin the tires on startup. Very practical vehicle with few compromises. The perfect cargo loading height means no rear bumper though.

satisfied second owner
By satisfied owner on 06/07/06 13:53 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota RAV4 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought used with 19,000 miles, in top condition. Paid about $500 over average market but was great buy. Only repair (covered by warranty) in 3 years was to reset computer immediately after purchase due to no acceleration from stop. Drove 6,000 miles on summer vacation in '05, performed perfectly with average 29 mpg thru rocky mountains, pacific NW and level terrain, no overheating. Holds 75 mph easily on hwy, uses reg. fuel, holds 4 adults long distance in reasonable comfort, 3 adults in great comfort. Easy on tires, great stability, seats removable with no trouble. Only complaint is halogen headlights are too bright and unadjustable. Will still be a great car at 200,000 miles.