Used 2001 Toyota RAV4 Base SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:

Love Love Love!
By Love Love Love!

2001 Toyota RAV4 SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I had this car for almost two years and I loved it. I drove back and forth from school and back about two or three times a month. It is the best on the highway with gas, dependability, barely any noise, smooth driving and so many more things to love about this car. This car was very reliable and saved so much money on gas. I went to the mechanics only for oil changes and that is it. This car is by far the best car I will ever have. It is pretty cute as well. SADLY, I had to give it up because we got into an accident but besides that it was the love of my life. If you're looking for a safe, good on gas, and dependable car this is the one for you.

Favorite Features

There are too many things to love on this car for there to be a favorite but the best would be the money I saved.

Suggested Improvements

A newer year for a more updated look would have been nice but the 2001 was great!

used RAV4 after 6 years
By Bikerrandy

2001 Toyota RAV4 SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We bought our RAV4 used after a lease turnin @ 36K miles. We've put 46K on it so far. At first we drove it 100+ mi. a day commuting. Now we're both retired and it get's a lot less use, but it is 1 of the best cars we have ever owned in so many ways. On the road we get 30-31 mpg on reg. I've towed 1,500#s of stuff from norCal to Canada effortlessly. I've heard lately some owners have had auto. tranny disasters. We have seen nothing of that so far. I wonder if it's how others use their RAV4. We don't do much stop & go. Finally had to replace the front brake pads at 73.6K mi. I've owned Toyotas both new & used since `75 and have never regretted it. We hope to keep this car forever

Favorite Features

Easy parking, comfort, leg room, little extras like can holders, acc. plugs, hooks for groceries, removable rear seats, ease of rear door opening.

2001 RAV4 Bullet proof reliabilty
By Jimboo2

2001 Toyota RAV4 SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We bought in Dec. 2000 brand new to replace Tercel. Love compactness with great interior room. Fun to drive fits anywhere. Bulletproof reliability. Wife never wants to sell. Replaced timing chain at 60K and had O2 sensor done at 62K. I really wonder if dealership is the best place for repairs, very expensive. Live in New England and put on Bridgestone Blizzaks in Nov. runs thru foot of snow like AWD. Excellent value.

Favorite Features

Usable interior space with parking very easy. Good acceleration and small turning radius. RELIABILITY.

Suggested Improvements

Could use more comfortable seats for longer journeys.

Problem with headlight bulbs/burning out
By Terry Bond

2001 Toyota RAV4 SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Been a great car, plenty of storage and seating. Easy to drive, and other than Headlight Bulbs, virtually trouble free at 97,000 miles! Gas mileage could be better, but I am not complaining at about 25 mpg overall. Some rattles but not bad, usually able to find and fix-usually a loose screw on interior plastic. Would sure like to know why we seem to go thru 2 sets of Headlight bulbs a year! Started slowly but seem to burn out one side or the other about every 6 to 8 months! Dealer and electrical shop say everything tests fine?

Favorite Features

Think I listed them, Great Car, So Far/97,000+ and still going.

Suggested Improvements

Battery IS IN VERY BAD LOCATION! Can't Jump without Dismantling the Cowl! Bad Design-Fixed in later models.

7 1/2 years and still going
By SuMac

2001 Toyota RAV4 SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought my RAV4L in Nov 2000. She has over 110,000 miles now and still going strong. I have only done regular maintenance. The only thing that has failed is the passenger power lock is not working (which could be related to the add-on car starter/door opener package I had put on). Called today to see about a "timing belt" change (since I've never done that and everyone said I should) -- only to find out that once again, Toyota has outdone themselves and the timing CHAIN never needs replacing. So she's getting a tuneup next week. I've had her detailed 2 times and both times she looks like a brand new car afterward. I hope to see 300,000 miles on this one! Gas mileage: 27 / 29.

Favorite Features

Overall a great car. Love the seat removal; can haul many things; only maintenance has been oil/air filters, etc. Easy to drive/ maneuver/park. Good gas mileage for the style. I AM A PROUD OWNER of a RAV4

Suggested Improvements

I have none -- except if Toyota doesn't have a comparable car in 12 years when this one retires.