2001 Toyota RAV4 Base SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:

Sort Reviews by

203k miles and still going strong
By andymick32

2001 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Great Toyota Reliability. Have owned for 12 years with no major mechanical problems. It has been the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned. At 203k miles now and think I should hit 300k. No rust on the body in a bad NorthEast climate. Not the most exciting vehicle to drive, but it is very economical with a solid 4WD system. You really can't beat Ravs for their overall value.

Suggested Improvements

More comfortable seats and upgrade the interior components.

Till death do we part
By duncan16

2001 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Full-time 4x4 gives you traction all the time and you get a combined mpg of 25, that is amazing. I actually am a car moder (that means I modify my cars so they aren't stock). I suggest that if you want to change anything about this car it would be; get Yokohama AT/S tires for the best all around traction no matter the surface and the tires will last you forever, get performance intakes and filters to help with higher rpm performance. Those are very basic, if you are looking for anything better I suggest you go to RAV4world.

Favorite Features

Versatility, Reliability, Excellent mpg for a 4x4

Suggested Improvements

The 2.4L engine is a large improvement for the 2004-5, plus you can add a supercharger or turbocharger if you want more power for that engine.

Great.. until 2/2010
By msquickwit

2001 Toyota RAV4 SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I have to say- other than oil changes and tire rotations- the usual stuff; I have never had any major expenses (5 years- second owner). BUT In Feb 2010 I did have to spend 1700 on a new 'brain' and O2 sensor and battery. Now, it is in the shop again- sounding and feeling like a helicopter. So I have to give my old girl credit for 5 years (got her 2005) she has been an angel. Now she is being a bit greedy-but it is long over due. IF I have to buy a new car- I would get a RAV 4 again or maybe a highlander- little bit bigger and those are now HYBRID.

Favorite Features

No maintenance (well preventative maintenance) until she was 10 years old!

Suggested Improvements

the brain? but then again she is ten years old

Love Love Love!
By Love Love Love!

2001 Toyota RAV4 SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I had this car for almost two years and I loved it. I drove back and forth from school and back about two or three times a month. It is the best on the highway with gas, dependability, barely any noise, smooth driving and so many more things to love about this car. This car was very reliable and saved so much money on gas. I went to the mechanics only for oil changes and that is it. This car is by far the best car I will ever have. It is pretty cute as well. SADLY, I had to give it up because we got into an accident but besides that it was the love of my life. If you're looking for a safe, good on gas, and dependable car this is the one for you.

Favorite Features

There are too many things to love on this car for there to be a favorite but the best would be the money I saved.

Suggested Improvements

A newer year for a more updated look would have been nice but the 2001 was great!

used RAV4 after 6 years
By Bikerrandy

2001 Toyota RAV4 SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We bought our RAV4 used after a lease turnin @ 36K miles. We've put 46K on it so far. At first we drove it 100+ mi. a day commuting. Now we're both retired and it get's a lot less use, but it is 1 of the best cars we have ever owned in so many ways. On the road we get 30-31 mpg on reg. I've towed 1,500#s of stuff from norCal to Canada effortlessly. I've heard lately some owners have had auto. tranny disasters. We have seen nothing of that so far. I wonder if it's how others use their RAV4. We don't do much stop & go. Finally had to replace the front brake pads at 73.6K mi. I've owned Toyotas both new & used since `75 and have never regretted it. We hope to keep this car forever

Favorite Features

Easy parking, comfort, leg room, little extras like can holders, acc. plugs, hooks for groceries, removable rear seats, ease of rear door opening.

2001 RAV4 Bullet proof reliabilty
By Jimboo2

2001 Toyota RAV4 SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We bought in Dec. 2000 brand new to replace Tercel. Love compactness with great interior room. Fun to drive fits anywhere. Bulletproof reliability. Wife never wants to sell. Replaced timing chain at 60K and had O2 sensor done at 62K. I really wonder if dealership is the best place for repairs, very expensive. Live in New England and put on Bridgestone Blizzaks in Nov. runs thru foot of snow like AWD. Excellent value.

Favorite Features

Usable interior space with parking very easy. Good acceleration and small turning radius. RELIABILITY.

Suggested Improvements

Could use more comfortable seats for longer journeys.

Problem with headlight bulbs/burning out
By Terry Bond

2001 Toyota RAV4 SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Been a great car, plenty of storage and seating. Easy to drive, and other than Headlight Bulbs, virtually trouble free at 97,000 miles! Gas mileage could be better, but I am not complaining at about 25 mpg overall. Some rattles but not bad, usually able to find and fix-usually a loose screw on interior plastic. Would sure like to know why we seem to go thru 2 sets of Headlight bulbs a year! Started slowly but seem to burn out one side or the other about every 6 to 8 months! Dealer and electrical shop say everything tests fine?

Favorite Features

Think I listed them, Great Car, So Far/97,000+ and still going.

Suggested Improvements

Battery IS IN VERY BAD LOCATION! Can't Jump without Dismantling the Cowl! Bad Design-Fixed in later models.

I LOVE IT!!!
By Whoo-hoo!!

2001 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I just bought this car with 125,000 miles on it. I know, by reputation, that this is pretty much just broken in for a Toyota. The car handles beautifully. I have been using it for business, and I have no complaints. I have always wanted one, and now, I FINALLY HAVE IT!! Peppy, and FUN to drive! I'll drive it until the wheels fall off, which I am sure will be a long, long time!

318,000 and still going
By Laurea McLeon

2001 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My Rav has been in 4 major accidents and has over 318,000 miles on it and it is still going stong. I wouldn't part with this car unless you gave me another one...well maybe if you gave me a Highlander.. :-}

7 1/2 years and still going
By SuMac

2001 Toyota RAV4 SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought my RAV4L in Nov 2000. She has over 110,000 miles now and still going strong. I have only done regular maintenance. The only thing that has failed is the passenger power lock is not working (which could be related to the add-on car starter/door opener package I had put on). Called today to see about a "timing belt" change (since I've never done that and everyone said I should) -- only to find out that once again, Toyota has outdone themselves and the timing CHAIN never needs replacing. So she's getting a tuneup next week. I've had her detailed 2 times and both times she looks like a brand new car afterward. I hope to see 300,000 miles on this one! Gas mileage: 27 / 29.

Favorite Features

Overall a great car. Love the seat removal; can haul many things; only maintenance has been oil/air filters, etc. Easy to drive/ maneuver/park. Good gas mileage for the style. I AM A PROUD OWNER of a RAV4

Suggested Improvements

I have none -- except if Toyota doesn't have a comparable car in 12 years when this one retires.