2001 Toyota RAV4 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:
Love Love Love!
By Love Love Love! on 12/27/09 18:01 PM (PST)

2001 Toyota RAV4 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I had this car for almost two years and I loved it. I drove back and forth from school and back about two or three times a month. It is the best on the highway with gas, dependability, barely any noise, smooth driving and so many more things to love about this car. This car was very reliable and saved so much money on gas. I went to the mechanics only for oil changes and that is it. This car is by far the best car I will ever have. It is pretty cute as well. SADLY, I had to give it up because we got into an accident but besides that it was the love of my life. If you're looking for a safe, good on gas, and dependable car this is the one for you.

used RAV4 after 6 years
By Bikerrandy on 11/21/09 12:48 PM (PST)

2001 Toyota RAV4 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We bought our RAV4 used after a lease turnin @ 36K miles. We've put 46K on it so far. At first we drove it 100+ mi. a day commuting. Now we're both retired and it get's a lot less use, but it is 1 of the best cars we have ever owned in so many ways. On the road we get 30-31 mpg on reg. I've towed 1,500#s of stuff from norCal to Canada effortlessly. I've heard lately some owners have had auto. tranny disasters. We have seen nothing of that so far. I wonder if it's how others use their RAV4. We don't do much stop & go. Finally had to replace the front brake pads at 73.6K mi. I've owned Toyotas both new & used since `75 and have never regretted it. We hope to keep this car forever

2001 RAV4 Bullet proof reliabilty
By Jimboo2 on 09/18/09 10:08 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota RAV4 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We bought in Dec. 2000 brand new to replace Tercel. Love compactness with great interior room. Fun to drive fits anywhere. Bulletproof reliability. Wife never wants to sell. Replaced timing chain at 60K and had O2 sensor done at 62K. I really wonder if dealership is the best place for repairs, very expensive. Live in New England and put on Bridgestone Blizzaks in Nov. runs thru foot of snow like AWD. Excellent value.

Problem with headlight bulbs/burning out
By Terry Bond on 07/20/09 14:59 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota RAV4 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Been a great car, plenty of storage and seating. Easy to drive, and other than Headlight Bulbs, virtually trouble free at 97,000 miles! Gas mileage could be better, but I am not complaining at about 25 mpg overall. Some rattles but not bad, usually able to find and fix-usually a loose screw on interior plastic. Would sure like to know why we seem to go thru 2 sets of Headlight bulbs a year! Started slowly but seem to burn out one side or the other about every 6 to 8 months! Dealer and electrical shop say everything tests fine?

7 1/2 years and still going
By SuMac on 07/18/08 09:29 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota RAV4 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought my RAV4L in Nov 2000. She has over 110,000 miles now and still going strong. I have only done regular maintenance. The only thing that has failed is the passenger power lock is not working (which could be related to the add-on car starter/door opener package I had put on). Called today to see about a "timing belt" change (since I've never done that and everyone said I should) -- only to find out that once again, Toyota has outdone themselves and the timing CHAIN never needs replacing. So she's getting a tuneup next week. I've had her detailed 2 times and both times she looks like a brand new car afterward. I hope to see 300,000 miles on this one! Gas mileage: 27 / 29.

93,000 Miles Later and BETRAYED!
By Dissappointed on 10/27/07 14:25 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota RAV4 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

It was good overall. I kept up with all regular scheduled maintenance. First the Catalytic Converter went out at approximately 74,000 miles. Of course, the brakes had to be replaced more than other cars, and now at 92,000 miles I had to replace the transmission solenoid for $1,600. Next, might be the transmission, for $3,000 dollars more. Had both of them gone out it would have been a downpayment on a new car. So, that's all I have to say.

Still Crazy (about it) after 6 yrs.
By Jeffty on 09/26/07 15:47 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota RAV4 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Totally dependable, solid and always fun and economical to drive. 4-cyl. w/5-speed manual likes to rev high and zoom along. Zippier than you'd imagine, very stable manuvering and braking. I get an average of 27 mpg combined and up to 31 mpg on a long, slow trip. Original Toyo tires were unspectacular but a set of Michelins made a real improvement especially in the wet. The quartet of engine sensors were a bit troublesome, three already replaced before 70k miles. Now at 100k miles it still feels solid and fun to drive. I plan on keeping this one for the duration and I feel pretty optimistic about a good,long life for this one. I would buy another in a heartbeat.

RAV4 built tough
By SeanMCD on 07/10/07 18:51 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota RAV4 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have driven this car 130,000 miles in 3 yrs, had 51k when I bought it. I do on site computer service work for major computer service company. This car has never failed me, not even once! The only thing Ive had to do is oil, plugs, brakes, tires. Catalytic converter failed at 78k was covered by warranty, O2 sensors went out at 120k, those are the only mechanical issues Ive had. I've beat this car to death and keeps going, it's been across a few creeks, miles and miles of muddy dirt roads, up and down mountains, through hail, wind sheers, you name it this car can handle it ! I'm sold on Toyota for life!

the love of my life
By LS on 02/14/07 18:09 PM (PST)

2001 Toyota RAV4 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Rav4 brand new with 15 miles on it. I will reach 100,000 miles within the next week. I fell in love with this little baby the first time I saw it and love it more every day. It is very dependable and I enjoy driving it more than any other vehicle I have ever owned. I will drive this one unitl the wheels fall off. It is tru love.

takes a licking...keeps on going!
By debbie on 01/29/07 11:07 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota RAV4 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Wonderful ride- great gas milage- was involved in fender bender and the other car faired much worse.Great vehicle for long distance trips. This car would benifit from Bose stereo as standard equip.All in all very dependable ride for the money.