2001 Toyota RAV4 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:
203k miles and still going strong
By andymick32 on 08/13/13 09:37 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota RAV4 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Great Toyota Reliability. Have owned for 12 years with no major mechanical problems. It has been the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned. At 203k miles now and think I should hit 300k. No rust on the body in a bad NorthEast climate. Not the most exciting vehicle to drive, but it is very economical with a solid 4WD system. You really can't beat Ravs for their overall value.

Till death do we part
By duncan16 on 08/13/11 19:46 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota RAV4 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Full-time 4x4 gives you traction all the time and you get a combined mpg of 25, that is amazing. I actually am a car moder (that means I modify my cars so they aren't stock). I suggest that if you want to change anything about this car it would be; get Yokohama AT/S tires for the best all around traction no matter the surface and the tires will last you forever, get performance intakes and filters to help with higher rpm performance. Those are very basic, if you are looking for anything better I suggest you go to RAV4world.

Great.. until 2/2010
By msquickwit on 06/30/10 11:50 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota RAV4 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I have to say- other than oil changes and tire rotations- the usual stuff; I have never had any major expenses (5 years- second owner). BUT In Feb 2010 I did have to spend 1700 on a new 'brain' and O2 sensor and battery. Now, it is in the shop again- sounding and feeling like a helicopter. So I have to give my old girl credit for 5 years (got her 2005) she has been an angel. Now she is being a bit greedy-but it is long over due. IF I have to buy a new car- I would get a RAV 4 again or maybe a highlander- little bit bigger and those are now HYBRID.

Love Love Love!
By Love Love Love! on 12/27/09 18:01 PM (PST)

2001 Toyota RAV4 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I had this car for almost two years and I loved it. I drove back and forth from school and back about two or three times a month. It is the best on the highway with gas, dependability, barely any noise, smooth driving and so many more things to love about this car. This car was very reliable and saved so much money on gas. I went to the mechanics only for oil changes and that is it. This car is by far the best car I will ever have. It is pretty cute as well. SADLY, I had to give it up because we got into an accident but besides that it was the love of my life. If you're looking for a safe, good on gas, and dependable car this is the one for you.

used RAV4 after 6 years
By Bikerrandy on 11/21/09 12:48 PM (PST)

2001 Toyota RAV4 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We bought our RAV4 used after a lease turnin @ 36K miles. We've put 46K on it so far. At first we drove it 100+ mi. a day commuting. Now we're both retired and it get's a lot less use, but it is 1 of the best cars we have ever owned in so many ways. On the road we get 30-31 mpg on reg. I've towed 1,500#s of stuff from norCal to Canada effortlessly. I've heard lately some owners have had auto. tranny disasters. We have seen nothing of that so far. I wonder if it's how others use their RAV4. We don't do much stop & go. Finally had to replace the front brake pads at 73.6K mi. I've owned Toyotas both new & used since `75 and have never regretted it. We hope to keep this car forever

2001 RAV4 Bullet proof reliabilty
By Jimboo2 on 09/18/09 10:08 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota RAV4 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We bought in Dec. 2000 brand new to replace Tercel. Love compactness with great interior room. Fun to drive fits anywhere. Bulletproof reliability. Wife never wants to sell. Replaced timing chain at 60K and had O2 sensor done at 62K. I really wonder if dealership is the best place for repairs, very expensive. Live in New England and put on Bridgestone Blizzaks in Nov. runs thru foot of snow like AWD. Excellent value.

Problem with headlight bulbs/burning out
By Terry Bond on 07/20/09 14:59 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota RAV4 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Been a great car, plenty of storage and seating. Easy to drive, and other than Headlight Bulbs, virtually trouble free at 97,000 miles! Gas mileage could be better, but I am not complaining at about 25 mpg overall. Some rattles but not bad, usually able to find and fix-usually a loose screw on interior plastic. Would sure like to know why we seem to go thru 2 sets of Headlight bulbs a year! Started slowly but seem to burn out one side or the other about every 6 to 8 months! Dealer and electrical shop say everything tests fine?

I LOVE IT!!!
By Whoo-hoo!! on 05/30/09 20:01 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota RAV4 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I just bought this car with 125,000 miles on it. I know, by reputation, that this is pretty much just broken in for a Toyota. The car handles beautifully. I have been using it for business, and I have no complaints. I have always wanted one, and now, I FINALLY HAVE IT!! Peppy, and FUN to drive! I'll drive it until the wheels fall off, which I am sure will be a long, long time!

318,000 and still going
By Laurea McLeon on 11/13/08 12:11 PM (PST)

2001 Toyota RAV4 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My Rav has been in 4 major accidents and has over 318,000 miles on it and it is still going stong. I wouldn't part with this car unless you gave me another one...well maybe if you gave me a Highlander.. :-}

7 1/2 years and still going
By SuMac on 07/18/08 09:29 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota RAV4 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought my RAV4L in Nov 2000. She has over 110,000 miles now and still going strong. I have only done regular maintenance. The only thing that has failed is the passenger power lock is not working (which could be related to the add-on car starter/door opener package I had put on). Called today to see about a "timing belt" change (since I've never done that and everyone said I should) -- only to find out that once again, Toyota has outdone themselves and the timing CHAIN never needs replacing. So she's getting a tuneup next week. I've had her detailed 2 times and both times she looks like a brand new car afterward. I hope to see 300,000 miles on this one! Gas mileage: 27 / 29.