Used 2000 Toyota RAV4 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Toyota RAV4 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:

This little car is a beast
By yotajeepguy33

2000 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV AWD

This car has been my everything from hauling hockey gear back and fourth to being a teenagers rally car, to hauling a 2500 pound trailer full of furniture when i moved it pulled it over mountain passes and through cities and on the interstate and never even put up a fit. my parents bought it with 60,000 miles and now it has over 231,000 and 100,000 put on by a teenage male with a very heavy foot. I have done things with this car that would make normal people cringe. and it still starts first time every time. you think that after so many hard miles the little car would be putting up a fight, No Sir it like thank you may I have another she still ticking away.

Easiness to work on the engine though it has never had to be worked on. the ride is awesome I'm used to driving trucks so its real nice compare to those. it rides real nice on mountain roads. Awesome in the snow and for the most part has hauled everything from a trailer with furniture to fourwheelers and motorcycles and a small boat. it pulls awesome and i don't think ill ever get rid of this car.

well just like everyone says it needed more leg room in the back but I don't sit in the back so frankly don't really care about that it has enough space for a guy, his girlfriend and his dog in the back and thats all that i need.

200,000 mi still going in 2013!
By japanforever

2000 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV AWD

Well it's auto transmission but this website didn't give me that option to choose. Purchased new in 2000 - now it's 2013. Has never broken down on road, has never had muffler or any other repairs such as transmission or engine work etc. Only regular stuff that has to be changed out every so many miles. No body rust and I live in Michigan with harsh winters and high humidity! They just don't make 'em like they used to. And as far as Toyota making 'em in other countries (incl. the US) I say forget about it. Buy only 100% Japan and you'll have a dependable car for over 13 years.

Style, style, style! Body is great to just look at! Standard cruise control was helpful when I drove over 2,000 miles in one trip! The steering wheel is comfortable, the seats comfortable. But the best part I love the most is being able to fold the front and rear seats down so I can transport very long items that reach from dashboard to rear tailgate.

None.

Great SUV!!!
By crashondown

2000 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV AWD

Just bought my 2000 Toyota Rav4 (I know it is a little old) it had 87,000 miles on it when I bought it and wanted something that is good on gas and I could carry my kids in (truck was a gas gussler). This little car so far has given me no trouble. I hit a deer driving down the interstate the other night and dented up the front quarter panel and tore off a piece of the back bumper. Much to my suprise the little guy took it like a champ no mechanical issues and didnt really mess it up all that bad. Meeting with the Inurance guy on Monday to see about getting her fixed up. Like I said the only thing bad that happedned was some minor cosmetic issues. This little guy is a mini Sherman Tank lol.

MPG, Reliability, Build Quality.

A little small (was expected though), Seats need arm rest, can hear a little bit of noise from road (not enough to bother though)

Greatest "car" I have ever owned!
By jefe76

2000 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV AWD

I am writing this review as I await the salvage yard to take my dear RAV4 away from me after five great years of service following a REC. The number one thing to recommend this car to any potential buyers on the used market is that I drove this car on several camping trips ranging from Georgia to Rhode Island and never had a problem or worried that I may encounter one. I honestly believe this car was the best city car ever made. Its ability to maneuver through Philly while surviving the rigors of neglected streets was astounding. The two problems that I had with the car were this: 1.-The engine is incredibly weak, even with a manual transmission. 2.-No room for adults in the back seat.

Urban maneuverability Peppy engine in lower gears Very safe and predictable handling Locking differential option: Available only on the 2000 year model with 4-wheel drive with the manual transmission. It enables you to switch the drivetrain from All-wheel drive (where each wheel operates independently based on road conditions [more power may go to the left front wheel or the rear right wheel, etc.]) to full 4-wheel drive (where all wheels drive at the exact same speed). If you can find that model, which was only made for 6 months in the 1st half of 2000, you will not regret buying it. Just remember it is a car with some SUV qualities. It is not an SUV. That is why I loved it.

Not enough space for passengers in back seat. Weak engine. Hideous interior if you don't get leather. I had the leather seats and all black interior and I loved it. But when I was originally looking I wrote off the RAV4 because the cloth interior was so ugly. Typical Japanese Import: Amazing reliability So-so performance Poor body integrity

Thanks Toyota for the fun reliable ride
By Brandon

2000 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV AWD

Finally I own an SUV that does what is supposed to do - drive. I have had this RAV4 now for 2 years after purchasing it with quite a few miles already on it. I cannot tell enough how great it is to go out to my car everyday and not worry about getting where I need to go. I now travel safely and comfortably. On top of that its been the best car singing environment yet. The only thing I would change would be an automatic overdrive. I always forget it is engaged after I get off the highway. JMHO Cheers

Favorites are color, styling, reliability and power. There are two great functions that allow me to adjust power usage while driving.

I would love to be able to switch to two wheel drive in the city.