Used 2000 Toyota RAV4 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:

Toyota RAV4 L
By Jonni928

2000 Toyota RAV4 L Special Edition 4dr SUV AWD

An overall wonderful small SUV. The build quality is rock solid. My experience with reliability has been excellent, I have never owned a vehicle so reliable. The engine and transmission work wonderfully, and the engine is suprisingly powerful for a 2.0 L.

Favorite Features

Front end styling, extremely versatile interior, ride qaulity, reliability, build quality, and it's outstanding stereo.

Suggested Improvements

An option of a V6 and a column mounted automatic transmission gear selector would be the only improvements I would suggest. I think the vehicle could use a little extra room in the front and a little walkway like through the front seats.

Love My Rav4!
By Dagwood55

2000 Toyota RAV4 L Special Edition 4dr SUV

Bought used with 75K miles, now at 87K. No problems. Solid, dependable, reliable, fun to drive. Looks, drives and sounds like it's still brand new. Interior looks like new. No squeaks or rattles. Easy to park. Has lively acceleration, still gets 30 mpg on hwy, 24-25 around town. Considered AWD but went with FWD and automatic and this car is GREAT on snow (Firestone tires). Love it so much, we bought another!

Favorite Features

Visibility, driver seating position, reliability. Good looks. FWD has excellent performance in snow. Unbelievably easy to park, small size helps it fit anywhere.

Suggested Improvements

The center console in the "L" model is a little wobbly and the cupholders are awkward when using larger cups (12-16oz, no problem).

After 2 1/2 years but only 14000 miles..
By jerber

2000 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV AWD

It is very sporty and handles like a sports car. After 2 1/2 years, but only 14000 miles, I know why we drive the 98 Expedition everywhere. The ride is not very comfortable, and on the open highway, the kids in the back seat were scared for the first month because they felt like they were riding in the back of an old pickup. It is loud and has lots of wheel and highway noise. Also, there are 3 loud and irritating trim or structural rattles and noises that are relentless in all driving conditions. It is great for around town, but after 2 1/2 years, it's not for me.

Favorite Features

Styling exterior & interior handling transmission engine- just right

Suggested Improvements

Noise stereo noise comfort rattles window squeaks highway noise rooftop unis loose noise

Still Great After All These Years
By jp582

2000 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV

I bought this RAV just about 5 years ago and have yet to experience one mechanical problem. Exterior is solid and interior has also held up well. Gets decent gas mileage for a little SUV (both city and highway) and I have taken it on long road trips without a problem. Lacks power on mountainous roads and hills, though and I have had it floored to keep up with the Speed Limit in the Blue Ridge Mountains. Great quality overall!

Favorite Features

Privacy glass, wagon-type door, alarm, rear wiper

Suggested Improvements

standard cargo net for trunk, better power, bring back the EV version, smaller blind spots

PERFECT CAR FOR A CHICK
By dman81

2000 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV AWD

this is my mothers car, but i tend to drive this a lot in the winter when it snows. it handles very well in the snow much to my suprise. i feel very safe with the control and traction i get from the 4 wheel drive. trunk space is excellent...i fit a lot of stuff in the back that i thought would never fit. Needs more interior leg room.I tend to be cramped up especially when theres people in the back seat (im 6'1"). There is also a lot of wind noise, cheap dash. I kinda feel funny driving it because its not really my style...This car is definitely a "chick car" but it get does the job done

Favorite Features

great gas mileage, back seats fold down for xtra storage space, very reliable, snow handling, tough little 4x4

Suggested Improvements

could use more power but with power comes poor gas milage, better cup holders, more leg room, standard CD player!!!!