Used 1999 Toyota RAV4 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:

Nearing 240K!!
By Quinn

1999 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV AWD

Can't believe just how this 'toy' Sport Vehicle has held up thru the years. Got it as a demo model in 1999, and have pretty much only had basic regular service done. Really comfy and quiet, I still have to pinch myself sometimes since I can't believe I've been so lucky w/ this car. Recently, I got a 2004 Tacoma and passed the RAV onto my daughter. We're hoping it makes it to 300K!!

Reliability, starts every day flawlessly. 4WD has also been great since we live in Northern Illinois.

Dont know why its so much fun!
By Brett

1999 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV AWD

Got it used with just under 80K on it, and after some clean up and maintenance, it is like a new car. Very fun off road, we do a lot of off road and it never gets stuck or breaks. Love the looks, inside and out, the 5 speed manual makes it very fun to drive, the average MPG is 26 with a lot of short trips. Plenty of power for me, comfortable, reliable, large cargo area with the seats out, great to load the dog into. We plan on keeping it forever.

It's little, and goes places big trucks can't. It gets 26 mpg overall, simple functional design, comfortable.

The only thing I would like is a bigger gas tank.

Is there any other?
By Walter & Naomi

1999 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV AWD

Our 4th Toyota. Currently at 520,000 kms. Is a daily driver seven days a week as my wife is a travelling home support worker. Replaced brakes twice, timing belt three times only as good practice. Never needs wheel alignment. Never fails in any weather. Handles like a dream and my wife drives fast. Car handles like a sports car. Traveled once from Nova Scotia to Ottawa and back with 5 occupants and full of luggage not a problem and only $250 of fuel. Would not think twice of leaving for California in this vehicle tomorrow without service before leaaving. I handle a lot of vehicles and this is the best all around auto in the world by price, comfort, appearance, dependability.

Handling, dependability, heater and air conditioning. Little except basic maintenance, oil, brakes, tires. Never needs wheel alignment. Travels through 2ft plus of snow and breaks trail normally when roads are not plowed. Only use wheel lock for steep icy driveways. Great cargo area. Great for a family or a single person.

Cup holders, larger outside mirrors, antenna placement (bad in underground parkades backing up), improve fuel economy.

My Rav
By Molly

1999 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV

This is the second 99 Rav 4 I have owned and enjoy it a great deal. The first one was totaled by another driver. I was glad to be able to find another, the only difference was no moon roof on the newer one. This the first SUV I have owned and I enjoy driving it. It has been reliable and has needed very few repairs.

Electric windows and door locks. Since I am short the rear door opening like a car door makes it easy for me to load and unload it. Very comfortable.

A tape player as well as the CD player. Better mileage.

Durable and reliable
By GF Jones

1999 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV

Never had repair work other than routine maintence in 140,000 miles. Ours was destroyed when a Jeep Cherokee ran a red light and slammed into the front end as we were crossing traffic. The Jeep lost the battle as it bounced off and rolled over 1.5 times. The Rave stood it's ground and the frame is still straight. However, damages are in excess of it's value. We are looking for another one.

It is very nimble and easy to manuever in tight spaces.

Placement of the stereo is in close proxcimity to the heating box causing intermitant periods of audio black outs. This likely shortens the life of the audio components.

• SUV