1999 Toyota RAV4 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:
Dont know why its so much fun!
By Brett on 07/15/08 11:29 AM (PDT)

1999 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV AWD

Got it used with just under 80K on it, and after some clean up and maintenance, it is like a new car. Very fun off road, we do a lot of off road and it never gets stuck or breaks. Love the looks, inside and out, the 5 speed manual makes it very fun to drive, the average MPG is 26 with a lot of short trips. Plenty of power for me, comfortable, reliable, large cargo area with the seats out, great to load the dog into. We plan on keeping it forever.

Is there any other?
By Walter & Naomi on 11/22/07 07:47 AM (PST)

1999 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV AWD

Our 4th Toyota. Currently at 520,000 kms. Is a daily driver seven days a week as my wife is a travelling home support worker. Replaced brakes twice, timing belt three times only as good practice. Never needs wheel alignment. Never fails in any weather. Handles like a dream and my wife drives fast. Car handles like a sports car. Traveled once from Nova Scotia to Ottawa and back with 5 occupants and full of luggage not a problem and only $250 of fuel. Would not think twice of leaving for California in this vehicle tomorrow without service before leaaving. I handle a lot of vehicles and this is the best all around auto in the world by price, comfort, appearance, dependability.

My Rav
By Molly on 04/17/07 10:29 AM (PDT)

1999 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV

This is the second 99 Rav 4 I have owned and enjoy it a great deal. The first one was totaled by another driver. I was glad to be able to find another, the only difference was no moon roof on the newer one. This the first SUV I have owned and I enjoy driving it. It has been reliable and has needed very few repairs.

Durable and reliable
By GF Jones on 03/28/06 19:21 PM (PST)

1999 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV

Never had repair work other than routine maintence in 140,000 miles. Ours was destroyed when a Jeep Cherokee ran a red light and slammed into the front end as we were crossing traffic. The Jeep lost the battle as it bounced off and rolled over 1.5 times. The Rave stood it's ground and the frame is still straight. However, damages are in excess of it's value. We are looking for another one.

Saved My Life
By Maria C on 12/23/05 18:14 PM (PST)

1999 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV AWD

On Dec 16th 2005 I 'T-boned' a 2004 Ford Explorer truck and both vehicles were totaled. I'm black and blue, no broken bones and lucky to be alive. It didn't buckle around me, roll over, or spin out of control - what it did was save my life. My significant other always teased me and my 'putter-mobile' because of it's slow pick up but is now grateful that I was able to walk away from the accident w/just bruises. I'm sold on the Rav4 and if the price is right will purchase another one. Maria

Very Reliable
By Len on 09/06/05 01:05 AM (PDT)

1999 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV

I have had my 1999 RAV4 5 speed for 5 years and I would buy another in a heartbeat. This has been the most reliable car I have ever owned. I bought it with 41,000 miles on it and have added about 100,000. I transferred to a new job last year and now commute about 130 miles per day. I never worry about whether my car will start or not (unless I run the battery down by leaving the lights on). I had some major maintenance work done this year (tune-up, timing belt, etc.), but other than regular maintenance work, I have had no other work done on my car. It runs great, has the Toyota reliability, and I fully expect it to keep going for another 200,000 miles. My gas mileage is about 33.

Great Car To Own
By Dawn K. on 05/30/05 20:33 PM (PDT)

1999 Toyota RAV4 SUV 2dr SUV AWD w/Soft Top

I love this car. Never had any problems with it. Would highly recommend it to anyone!

1999 Toyota RAV4 AWD
By Washjunior on 01/07/05 12:33 PM (PST)

1999 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV AWD

Purchased this car from a private person. I've had the car for almost 1 year and put 14k on it. It's a great car. Fantastic in the snow...the best car I've ever had in bad conditions (and I live in the western NY snow belt). I literally have done nothing other than oil changes. Storage capacity is really nice. Overall, GREAT CAR that I would recommend highly to anyone!

Quality-built, Fun Car
By Mellie Mel on 10/18/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV AWD

A sure-footed, compact pseudo-SUV that's fun to drive. Consistently gets 26mpg and drives great in all weather. Feels nice sitting high but it can't corner without feeling tippy. Acceleration is poor (compared to my 98 corolla). Hate that the tailgate doesn't open down or up or have a window that opens. There's no way to carry long items such as a ladder or PVC pipe. Cargo footprint really is no bigger than a Camry so "SUV" seems kind of a misnomer. Due to small cargo space, non-opening rear window & lack of power we are looking to replace our RAV4 with a Suburu Baja.

Satisfied Customer
By Toyota Woman on 06/24/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV AWD

Reliability, a good engine, fun to drive - I love my 1999 RAV4. Other than somewhat uncomfortable front bucket seats which slope downward and a headrest that pushes fwd, mechanically it behaves and has surprising surge power on the highway, when you press the power button.