Used 1999 Toyota RAV4 Base SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:

218,000, best car ever!
By morav

1999 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV

I bought the car used with 34,000 miles on it and I just traded it in yesterday for a Toyota Corolla. It was the lowest maintenance vehicle I have ever owned and would have bought another one, but w/the increased cost of fuel I wanted something with just a little better gas mileage. I averaged around 26mpg and I drove it pretty hard. I hauled animals to the vet, bags of feed for the horses and about anything you can think of. I have probably spent less than $500 in actual repairs the whole time I owned it. Other than that, just oil changes every 3K. I am going to miss my Rav4.

Favorite Features

The car was about as reliable as they come. Low cost of ownership, good gas mileage for being an SUV type, versatility of use, handles good in snow and rain.

Suggested Improvements

Probably the only improvement would be improving mpg. It wasn't bad, just looking to for better with this insane cost of fuel.

Love our RAV4!!
By mrbsmallz

1999 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV

Bought the RAV4 used in 2004 for my wife. At the time it had 99K miles. Recognizing it was time for service, I immediately invested $400 to replace the timing belt, water pump, and replace fluids. 100K miles later (199K), this little truck is still going strong and continues to look brand new inside and out. Everything works except minor items (seat belt light blinks constantly on dash ). The maintenance is due again and I'm glad to invest another $400 to keep her going. Planning to pass along to our son in the next few years. We have had NO problems with this truck. Only replaced the battery, spark plugs, regular fluid changes, brakes, and tires. Would definitely recommend!

Favorite Features

The sunroof and ease of getting in and out of the vehicle. Snow is NO problem!

Suggested Improvements

Needs more pep. Gas mileage is not great but decent (small 13 gallon tank). Flimsy arm console. Bolts vibrate loose and require frequent re-tightening. Fix weird electrical issues (seat belt light blinks even when fastened).

Cute little car
By T

1999 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV

I love this little SUV. The large windows offer good visibility. It's fun to drive & feels very light and peppy, although it sometimes struggles with getting up to speed (especially on the freeway), b/c the engine is small. MPG is OK, but tends to be low when city driving + running AC/heater. The trunk has a LOT of space, & rear legroom is adequate. Interior is kind of bland, but at least it's not an eyesore. Safety is good (by '99 standards) but sometimes the car's balance seems a little precarious, especially when turning at high speeds. Otherwise, this is a reliable little car. I don't see it dying anytime soon, but if it did, I'd buy it again.

Favorite Features

Rear storage panels, sunroof, easy-to-read dash, exterior design (still looks good 10 years later!), large windows.

Suggested Improvements

CD player, more supportive (lumbar) seats, MPG could be a better for an engine this small.

My Rav
By Molly

1999 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV

This is the second 99 Rav 4 I have owned and enjoy it a great deal. The first one was totaled by another driver. I was glad to be able to find another, the only difference was no moon roof on the newer one. This the first SUV I have owned and I enjoy driving it. It has been reliable and has needed very few repairs.

Favorite Features

Electric windows and door locks. Since I am short the rear door opening like a car door makes it easy for me to load and unload it. Very comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

A tape player as well as the CD player. Better mileage.

Durable and reliable
By GF Jones

1999 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV

Never had repair work other than routine maintence in 140,000 miles. Ours was destroyed when a Jeep Cherokee ran a red light and slammed into the front end as we were crossing traffic. The Jeep lost the battle as it bounced off and rolled over 1.5 times. The Rave stood it's ground and the frame is still straight. However, damages are in excess of it's value. We are looking for another one.

Favorite Features

It is very nimble and easy to manuever in tight spaces.

Suggested Improvements

Placement of the stereo is in close proxcimity to the heating box causing intermitant periods of audio black outs. This likely shortens the life of the audio components.