1999 Toyota RAV4 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:
218,000, best car ever!
By morav on 04/03/11 03:37 AM (PDT)

1999 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV

I bought the car used with 34,000 miles on it and I just traded it in yesterday for a Toyota Corolla. It was the lowest maintenance vehicle I have ever owned and would have bought another one, but w/the increased cost of fuel I wanted something with just a little better gas mileage. I averaged around 26mpg and I drove it pretty hard. I hauled animals to the vet, bags of feed for the horses and about anything you can think of. I have probably spent less than $500 in actual repairs the whole time I owned it. Other than that, just oil changes every 3K. I am going to miss my Rav4.

Love our RAV4!!
By mrbsmallz on 03/03/11 12:04 PM (PST)

1999 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV

Bought the RAV4 used in 2004 for my wife. At the time it had 99K miles. Recognizing it was time for service, I immediately invested $400 to replace the timing belt, water pump, and replace fluids. 100K miles later (199K), this little truck is still going strong and continues to look brand new inside and out. Everything works except minor items (seat belt light blinks constantly on dash ). The maintenance is due again and I'm glad to invest another $400 to keep her going. Planning to pass along to our son in the next few years. We have had NO problems with this truck. Only replaced the battery, spark plugs, regular fluid changes, brakes, and tires. Would definitely recommend!

Cute little car
By T on 12/29/09 10:51 AM (PST)

1999 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV

I love this little SUV. The large windows offer good visibility. It's fun to drive & feels very light and peppy, although it sometimes struggles with getting up to speed (especially on the freeway), b/c the engine is small. MPG is OK, but tends to be low when city driving + running AC/heater. The trunk has a LOT of space, & rear legroom is adequate. Interior is kind of bland, but at least it's not an eyesore. Safety is good (by '99 standards) but sometimes the car's balance seems a little precarious, especially when turning at high speeds. Otherwise, this is a reliable little car. I don't see it dying anytime soon, but if it did, I'd buy it again.

My Rav
By Molly on 04/17/07 10:29 AM (PDT)

1999 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV

This is the second 99 Rav 4 I have owned and enjoy it a great deal. The first one was totaled by another driver. I was glad to be able to find another, the only difference was no moon roof on the newer one. This the first SUV I have owned and I enjoy driving it. It has been reliable and has needed very few repairs.

Durable and reliable
By GF Jones on 03/28/06 19:21 PM (PST)

1999 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV

Never had repair work other than routine maintence in 140,000 miles. Ours was destroyed when a Jeep Cherokee ran a red light and slammed into the front end as we were crossing traffic. The Jeep lost the battle as it bounced off and rolled over 1.5 times. The Rave stood it's ground and the frame is still straight. However, damages are in excess of it's value. We are looking for another one.

Very Reliable
By Len on 09/06/05 01:05 AM (PDT)

1999 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV

I have had my 1999 RAV4 5 speed for 5 years and I would buy another in a heartbeat. This has been the most reliable car I have ever owned. I bought it with 41,000 miles on it and have added about 100,000. I transferred to a new job last year and now commute about 130 miles per day. I never worry about whether my car will start or not (unless I run the battery down by leaving the lights on). I had some major maintenance work done this year (tune-up, timing belt, etc.), but other than regular maintenance work, I have had no other work done on my car. It runs great, has the Toyota reliability, and I fully expect it to keep going for another 200,000 miles. My gas mileage is about 33.

Rav 4 is fun
By Rav Guy on 09/10/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV

Bought for my wife because small, sits high and easy to drive. I found I like to drive it more than my Cadillac. Will buy another some day. Great vehicle.

Best Vehicle I have had in years.
By Easteddie on 03/08/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV

A pleasure to drive aound town. Noisy on the road and a little under powered.

Watch out at 50,000 mi
By chash on 10/07/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV

I loved my Rav 4 untill 50,mi watch out anyone who owns one. at 50,000mi it falls apart. water pump, timing belt, shocks,valves, I don't know if my rav was built on a monday or a friday but I am positive that it was one of those days don't get me wrong I love my car but do yourself a favor and buy the extended warranty Toyota's don't run forever!!!

1999 Toyota RAV4
By oble95 on 08/30/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV

Being a Toyota, it has definitely been reliable. The handling is excellent; you really don't feel you're driving a truck. Gas mileage is also excellent.The only complaint I have is the lack of power. Changing lanes or passing other vehicles will require some planning.