1999 Toyota RAV4 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:
Keeps on going after 320K miles
By kenrk on 09/17/12 18:13 PM (PDT)

1999 Toyota RAV4 Special Edition 4dr SUV AWD

Back in 1999, my dad drove his RAV4L off the lot with 50 miles on the odometer. Today it has 320,000 miles. He still drives it everyday to work with no trouble. Throughout the years I've borrowed it to tow a log splitter and 20' foot sail boat. I've been in some crazy snow storms with the RAV and it did great. Took it over 100mph a couple times. Put kayaks on the roof rack. It still has the original exhaust system, starter, alternator, battery. Oil changed every 3k. A/C still works. Not a spot of rust. Just regular stuff like brakes, shocks, tires, and timing belt every 100k. I'm considering getting my own as a winter vehicle...just figured I'd share how great the Rav has been for my dad.

Love my little "beep beep"!
By smokefan on 05/09/12 08:33 AM (PDT)

1999 Toyota RAV4 Special Edition 4dr SUV AWD

In 2007, I totaled out my 2000 Dodge Neon (good little car, too) and my brother and his wife gave me their 1999 Rav 4 L to drive. At first, it was a rocky relationship b/c I couldn't drive a standard...but once I got the hang of it, I learned two things: Standards are way more fun and this little truck is one of the best investments you could ever make! The truck had around 80K when I got it and I've put another 100K on it. The only thing I've had to do is replace the timing belt, which is an item you can expect to replace after time anyway. Other than diligent oil & fluid changes, I've not had to put any money into the "beep beep" and I think she'll stay in my family for years to come!

Rav4 303,000 miles
By Cat L. on 08/07/09 21:56 PM (PDT)

1999 Toyota RAV4 Special Edition 4dr SUV AWD

I love my Rav4. I have to say I prayed over the car too and that helped. My Rav4 has 303,000 miles on it. I had it checked recently at Superior Toyota in Birmingham. I wanted it checked out and felt like apologizing for my mileage. The owner of the company said "It's a Toyota; that's what they do." It means so much to drive a car for years after paying it off. Besides regular things like brakes, tires, and oil, that you'd have to do for any car, I've only had one thing fixed;that was a timing belt, after it had 268,000 miles on it. I will definitely buy another Toyota Rav4 one day. My finance teacher said to keep a car until you no longer trust it. I still trust it.

It is a great little suv
By Picky driver on 01/28/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Toyota RAV4 Special Edition 4dr SUV AWD

My Rav4L has performed well. It gets great gas mileage and after over 90,000 miles it still runs pretty much like a new car. I bought the RAV4 for the best gas mileage in an suv and because of Toyota reliability. I got what I was hoping for. It is a cute car. My husband says it is more suited to a woman though because it looks so cute.