1999 Toyota RAV4 Base w/Soft Top Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

danger k frame rustout
By larrr

1999 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV AWD

Danger front k-frame rust out can cause fatal accidents. Toyota and NHTSA know about this but they don't care. check before you buy check it if you own it repair about $1.5-2k more things to fix on this car 125k mi. than my old Dodge Caravan 173k mi. never trust Toyota again

Favorite Features

unsafe hard to work on poor designee top heavy on turns rough ride

Suggested Improvements

Toyota to stand behind product quality and safety better stability k-frame made of better quality metal and designed not to rust out so quickly recall and notify owners of Rave4 safety problems

Just Bought
By grinchmobile

1999 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV AWD

Just bought this vehicle for under 4k. Have had it for a couple of weeks and am amazed. Over 142k on it and all it needed was a new windshield and battery. The drive is excellent and the quality of the interior is amazing for a vehicle this old. No squeaks or rattles. I am looking forward to having several great years of driving this vehicle.

Favorite Features

The amount of storage space is great but the vehicle is small enough to slip in and out of tight parking spaces.

Suggested Improvements

Cannot think of any.

Keeps on going after 320K miles
By kenrk

1999 Toyota RAV4 Special Edition 4dr SUV AWD

Back in 1999, my dad drove his RAV4L off the lot with 50 miles on the odometer. Today it has 320,000 miles. He still drives it everyday to work with no trouble. Throughout the years I've borrowed it to tow a log splitter and 20' foot sail boat. I've been in some crazy snow storms with the RAV and it did great. Took it over 100mph a couple times. Put kayaks on the roof rack. It still has the original exhaust system, starter, alternator, battery. Oil changed every 3k. A/C still works. Not a spot of rust. Just regular stuff like brakes, shocks, tires, and timing belt every 100k. I'm considering getting my own as a winter vehicle...just figured I'd share how great the Rav has been for my dad.

Love my little "beep beep"!
By smokefan

1999 Toyota RAV4 Special Edition 4dr SUV AWD

In 2007, I totaled out my 2000 Dodge Neon (good little car, too) and my brother and his wife gave me their 1999 Rav 4 L to drive. At first, it was a rocky relationship b/c I couldn't drive a standard...but once I got the hang of it, I learned two things: Standards are way more fun and this little truck is one of the best investments you could ever make! The truck had around 80K when I got it and I've put another 100K on it. The only thing I've had to do is replace the timing belt, which is an item you can expect to replace after time anyway. Other than diligent oil & fluid changes, I've not had to put any money into the "beep beep" and I think she'll stay in my family for years to come!

Favorite Features

Surprisingly comfortable; accomodates all heights/sizes of folks. Good gas mileage; lots of room in the back seat and in the back storage area;

Suggested Improvements

The ONLY thing that I'd even come close to complaining about is the back door...that wagon type, swing to the side business...takes some getting used to. Other than that, this little truck is a charmer!

HAVING A HARD TIME PARTING WITH MY CAR
By meleirs

1999 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV AWD

I HAVE HAD MY rav4 FOR ELEVEN YEARS, IT HAS BEEN REALLY GOOD TO ME THAT I AM FINDING A HARD TIME BUYING A NEW VEHICLE. I AM NOW A GRANDMOTHER AND NEED SOMETHING MORE SPACIOUS AND MORE NEW.

218,000, best car ever!
By morav

1999 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV

I bought the car used with 34,000 miles on it and I just traded it in yesterday for a Toyota Corolla. It was the lowest maintenance vehicle I have ever owned and would have bought another one, but w/the increased cost of fuel I wanted something with just a little better gas mileage. I averaged around 26mpg and I drove it pretty hard. I hauled animals to the vet, bags of feed for the horses and about anything you can think of. I have probably spent less than $500 in actual repairs the whole time I owned it. Other than that, just oil changes every 3K. I am going to miss my Rav4.

Favorite Features

The car was about as reliable as they come. Low cost of ownership, good gas mileage for being an SUV type, versatility of use, handles good in snow and rain.

Suggested Improvements

Probably the only improvement would be improving mpg. It wasn't bad, just looking to for better with this insane cost of fuel.

Love our RAV4!!
By mrbsmallz

1999 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV

Bought the RAV4 used in 2004 for my wife. At the time it had 99K miles. Recognizing it was time for service, I immediately invested $400 to replace the timing belt, water pump, and replace fluids. 100K miles later (199K), this little truck is still going strong and continues to look brand new inside and out. Everything works except minor items (seat belt light blinks constantly on dash ). The maintenance is due again and I'm glad to invest another $400 to keep her going. Planning to pass along to our son in the next few years. We have had NO problems with this truck. Only replaced the battery, spark plugs, regular fluid changes, brakes, and tires. Would definitely recommend!

Favorite Features

The sunroof and ease of getting in and out of the vehicle. Snow is NO problem!

Suggested Improvements

Needs more pep. Gas mileage is not great but decent (small 13 gallon tank). Flimsy arm console. Bolts vibrate loose and require frequent re-tightening. Fix weird electrical issues (seat belt light blinks even when fastened).

260,000 miles, veryy reliable
By akxel

1999 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV AWD

reliable car, good looking on the outside, especially with ski racks black on black paint. 260,000 miles on it and still running on, steering is not that great but hey its a toyota, no a bmw sedan.

Favorite Features

i liked the reliability,looks, nice suspension supple

Suggested Improvements

A bit to small, limited rear storage, and little rear passenger room. it should have better gas mileage, but it is from 1999 i guess. it is really hard to maintain highway speed up a hill, good luck with the engine. Its my grandmas car but i use it every now and then, lately more often then not.

Cute little car
By T

1999 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV

I love this little SUV. The large windows offer good visibility. It's fun to drive & feels very light and peppy, although it sometimes struggles with getting up to speed (especially on the freeway), b/c the engine is small. MPG is OK, but tends to be low when city driving + running AC/heater. The trunk has a LOT of space, & rear legroom is adequate. Interior is kind of bland, but at least it's not an eyesore. Safety is good (by '99 standards) but sometimes the car's balance seems a little precarious, especially when turning at high speeds. Otherwise, this is a reliable little car. I don't see it dying anytime soon, but if it did, I'd buy it again.

Favorite Features

Rear storage panels, sunroof, easy-to-read dash, exterior design (still looks good 10 years later!), large windows.

Suggested Improvements

CD player, more supportive (lumbar) seats, MPG could be a better for an engine this small.

Rav4 303,000 miles
By Cat L.

1999 Toyota RAV4 Special Edition 4dr SUV AWD

I love my Rav4. I have to say I prayed over the car too and that helped. My Rav4 has 303,000 miles on it. I had it checked recently at Superior Toyota in Birmingham. I wanted it checked out and felt like apologizing for my mileage. The owner of the company said "It's a Toyota; that's what they do." It means so much to drive a car for years after paying it off. Besides regular things like brakes, tires, and oil, that you'd have to do for any car, I've only had one thing fixed;that was a timing belt, after it had 268,000 miles on it. I will definitely buy another Toyota Rav4 one day. My finance teacher said to keep a car until you no longer trust it. I still trust it.

Favorite Features

I love the way it drives. And that it never breaks down. I drove through Arkansas in a snow storm in March last year. I am not used to driving in snow. My Rav4 did great.

Suggested Improvements

The cup holders could be more durable. Mine broke years ago. I wish Toyota would make more Rav4's with leather seats. And a CD player that holds more disks. (So I had one installed).