1998 Toyota RAV4 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:
Excellent Quality
By VEP on 01/25/06 01:56 AM (PST)

1998 Toyota RAV4 L Special Edition 4dr SUV

I'm a tough critic but this car is as reliable as a Toyota gets. I have had over 20 cars and Toyotas have been the most reliable. Over 100,000 on it and I put on the last 50,000. Have done nothing but normal maintenance. Drive belt, tires, brakes, etc. No repairs at all for me other than maintenance. Like the standard features of the "L" version. Very sound quality parts. Feels solid and well put together for a small car.

Great used car to purchase
By LeX on 06/13/05 14:06 PM (PDT)

1998 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV AWD

Great trucklet for anyone single and guys who likes sporty but moderately big. I bought this '98 Rav4 recently (4 Days ago) at 140,000 miles. So far it's been great and smooth overall. I have checked everything (no leaks) and is standing tall and strong for a 7 year old car. Fuel economy would have been okay if it offered more power, but gas consumption is moderate-high for being underpowered. It's great for cruising but equipped with the ECT button that offers a higher rev for conditions demanding more power for speed. I hope it lasts for 100,000 or more with me, so I can come back here and give it more ratings.

Awesome
By Morgan on 05/31/05 17:29 PM (PDT)

1998 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV AWD

My Mom bought this car used in 1998, and puts absolutly hammered it with miles. We are now at about 205000 miles. But it has never had any major problems. It is a great car and I would recommend it to anyone. Especially with gas prices being the way they are. (27-29 mpg)

Perfect for Tucson, AZ
By desert rat on 11/11/04 07:57 AM (PST)

1998 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV AWD

Bought this '98 Rav4 in 2001 for driving around town and light off-road excursions. It has been extremely reliable and performs well in Southern Arizona. Handles well in tight spots and seems to be holding up to the rugged road conditions in "The Old Pueblo." Took it off-road a few times and the AWD was perfect on dirt roads. The 4 cyl. engine is a little underpowered, but great fuel economy. No major problems in over 3 years.

I love my RAV4
By Massage Therapist on 10/13/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV

I purchased this vehicle in April 1998 so I could make out calls. My massage table fits so easily in the back, as does groceries and luggage. The car has taken me and my friend on many out of town trips. I have never had any mecanical problem. I have only done routine maintenance.There are no rattles nor are there any cracks in the dash. This is my 6th vechile and by far the best one I've owned.

LOVE The RAV 4
By TCJS on 09/18/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV AWD

This is a great car for a single gal. I loved it until I had to trade it in for a larger car to go with my expanding family. A great first time car and fun to drive.

My Rav4
By GOTREALITY2 on 07/26/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV

I have had this car 1 year and have not had one big problem with it. Im very much pleased with its performance. I will buy another Toyota without hesitation.

Reliable but dull
By SeanM on 07/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV AWD

Its like a lifted corolla. Safe, reliable but dull. Looks OK but has the power of a hair dryer.

Great Ride
By hallbltmr on 06/24/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV AWD

This was the fourth vehicle I have purchased and by far the best. It has the best gas mileage out of all SUVs and that's real important for me especially now with the high gas prices. I would recommend anybody that is looking to buy/lease a SUV to really consider the RAV4. I know when I replace mine it will definitely be with a new model of it.

donna mama
By mama donna on 01/01/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV AWD

I liked the way the rear door opened from the side.......very easy to get groceries, luggage etc in and out. It has been a great vehicle to own and has been totally free of any mechanical problems.