1998 Toyota RAV4 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:
Great Compact SUV
By Jon on 09/15/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV

I really enjoy driving my RAV4. I use it mostly for short trip driving in town, highway driving,and light off road driving. It handles great, and works well in all weather conditions. I use it for light off road driving, in pastures and meadows for hunting and fishing, and it performs fine. I have the front wheel drive model, and it still gets me around in the outdoors. The ECT Power button is pretty cool, faster acceleration for fun, and more power for towing light trailers, or making it up steeper hills. The reliability is great,and I like the way it looks. Acceleration in town is alright, on the highway it gets the job done, but it seems a little slow. All in all a great little SUV.

A True Statement of Toyota Reliability!
By Daily Driver on 08/28/10 20:39 PM (PDT)

1998 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV AWD

Though I believe Toyota is the best car brand on the road, I admit I was still a little bit skeptical about buying a '98 with a little over 100,000 miles but this has definitely been one of the best decisions of my life! The thing I love most about my Rav4 is how safe I feel driving it. Especially for those snowy/rainy days in Ohio; the 4wd gives me so much peace of mind! I travel 60 mi/day for school & in the 8 months I have owned it, I have put over 10,000 miles on the car already. So far, the only expenses has been 3 oil changes & 1 pair of windshield wipers. Toyota dependability holds true with this Rav4! I LOVE THIS CAR! & I will never drive anything but a Toyota again.

A winner as used 4x4 - safe, fun
By bluesmobile on 06/01/10 14:03 PM (PDT)

1998 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV AWD

5 Speed manual. Recommended - if you find a good one. In my top 30 list out of about 300 vehicles I've driven (owned over 100 of them). Getting 26 mpg highway (60-65 mph), after switching to Amsoil synthetics in engine, tranny, and rear end. Recommend this for long life as well. Very safe - handles well (2 door not so much), ride is surprisingly plush and comfy, great visibility, likes to rev, will run all day 75. My wife and daughter really like it. Mine has 130,000 miles on it now and i think it'll make 250,000 if looked after. Manual tranny is weak link - watch out for grinding gears and 5th slipping out. Expensive repairs unless you're real handy.

Great Vehicle
By MSB on 02/12/10 14:52 PM (PST)

1998 Toyota RAV4 L Special Edition 4dr SUV

Absolutely great vehicle. Bought with 112,000 miles- have driven for 1 1/2 years with no problems. Runs like a champ. Plan on giving to daughter to drive 5 years from now. Should easily get another 150,000 on this vehicle.

Great Car But...
By JK on 10/01/09 21:17 PM (PDT)

1998 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV AWD

I have owned the car for 9 years and overall it has been very reliable. However, it has not been without problems. Cons: An emissions sensor had to be replaced at 70k (over $700 repair). The front struts had to be replaced at 75k ($1200 repair). The actuator rod for the driver door remote auto-lock mechanism failed at 80k (It's a $1000 repair). Finally transmission failed at 128k. Overhaul parts and labor put the repair at over $3400. A little underpowered and a little loud at highway speeds. Pros: Better than my Jeep Cherokee in the snow and rain. Comfortable driver position (I am 6'1"), good turning radius and great handling. Fun to drive.

My Purple Tortoise
By hotbite on 08/07/09 13:40 PM (PDT)

1998 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV AWD

I've had my '98 RAV4 since 2004. It's ridiculously reliable...no repairs needed, just maintenance and it's got over 130,000 miles on it. My only real gripe about the car is the mileage. I'm surprised to read several reviews that praise it's mileage! For a 4-cylinder that has zero power, I am disappointed that it only gets 18mpg. I would have expected more. The cupholders are also not really usable. Not in a good location or capable of holding tall cups w/o spilling. Don't get me wrong...I love my RAV. It gets me from A to B with no problems. Knock on wood!

Old Faithful
By Carol on 04/12/09 19:14 PM (PDT)

1998 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV

Finally replacing Old Faithful after over 10 very reliable years. Seats are losing their bounce and it's showing it's age a bit, but still runs like a charm. The 2.0 4cyl is a bit wimpy for hwy driving, but MPG is great. I truly wish the US would build affordable quality products. The materials/fit & finish are so chintzy in comparison, or incredibly overpriced. Looks like another import vehicle again for me.

Excellent!!!!
By Mark on 07/27/06 09:37 AM (PDT)

1998 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV AWD

I cannot begin to say how good this car is. I bought it with only 50000 miles on it. It now has over 100,000 and has never had a single problem with anything in the car. I have found in my years of experience that toyotas are by far the best car on the market. They are sturdy reliable and are good even into the higher mileages. My next car will definitely be another toyota. Excellent car!!!

1998 Rav4 L
By jackdave on 06/22/06 23:10 PM (PDT)

1998 Toyota RAV4 L Special Edition 4dr SUV

Just needs Capt'n chair arms for both the Driver and Psgr.!

Great City vehicle
By Jeffrey J on 03/31/06 18:28 PM (PST)

1998 Toyota RAV4 2dr SUV

Very good city vehicle. I bought the car used with 76,000 miles. I researched before I bought a used car, and the RAV4 came very well recommended. It has not let me down so far. AC works great, noise on the highway is minimal, and no one can complain about the gas mileage. Only complaints are a rear door that rattles a bit over bumps, and a drivers seat that I wish would go back one click further (I am 6'1).