Used 1997 Toyota RAV4 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:

97 RAV 4
By weber

1997 Toyota RAV4 2dr SUV

One less thing to worry about with our daughter away from home at college. The RAV just does not fail. Other than standard brakes/oil/tires, no repairs in 84000 miles. Paint stays rust free, shines with a wax job. Not going to light em up at the raceway, but will always get there.

Fun to drive, goes in rain and snow, and has an "attitude" that fits the 20 year old driver.

Less spartan interior. Solid performance does not have to include bare plastics and little sound deadening.

Best vehicle I've ever owned. . .
By Janet Wimmer

1997 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV

Purchased the RAV new in 1997. Had the brakes replaced twice, timing belt once as routine and nothing else besides ongoing maintenance. Drives beautifully in all weather conditions. I'm a small person (5"2") and love the way I can see and maneuver in this SUV. Gas mileage is great. At over 208,000 miles, it continues to be quiet, smooth and very dependable. I will drive it until it dies! I'd purchase another RAV in a heartbeat.

Overall size and comfortable seating. Versatility when back seats are moved for hauling small loads. Fun to drive!

More cupholders.

I Love This Car
By Olympia

1997 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV

Easy on gas, fun to drive, roomy, sporty and everything (almost) works well. What's not to love? Even the paint looks great after 8 years (and no garage). I had a dead battery once, big deal. The biggest problem I have had were lame brain other drivers bumping into me in parking lots. The doors had bad problems with not wanting to open in the winter and one door lock stopped working altogether one summer (had to operate on it and fixed it). If that hadn't happened, I would have kept this car for ever. However, I am buying another one, so that shows you how much the positives outweigh the negatives.

Reliable as an old red tractor. Starts in the winter and handles well. Comfortable for long trips and the gas milage is great (26 city, 30 highway).

The doors have bad ju-ju. Freeze in the winter. One one of the locks just stopped working. No one can fix this for less than $1000. The center console is uncomfortable and the top fell off.

A great car
By Mary Ann2

1997 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV

Reliable, fun, no frills, economical SUV.

Always looks cool.

Drink holder needed on dash

RAV is a dependable car!
By Lainie

1997 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV AWD

Got my 97 RAV used in 99. I've only had to replace brakes in 2001 and from there, just regular maintenance. I rarely seem to see them for sale used, so I think there are several happy customers out there...

Good gas mileage for an SUV (22-24 mpg). The factory stereo system that came with it is great. Comfortable seats.

Since it doesn't come in a V-6, doesn't have a lot of power.