1997 Toyota RAV4 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:
LOVE my 1997 RAV4
By teresa31 on 12/28/12 07:20 AM (PST)

1997 Toyota RAV4 2dr SUV AWD

I purchased my '97 Rav4 14 years ago with approximately 30,000 miles on it. Today it has 103,000 miles and is still going strong. The paint looks fantastic. The sunroof has never leaked. Seats still look great. It isn't a "peppy" driving vehicle but it is the most reliable car that I've ever owned. It goes in ANY weather. The amount of storage with the seats down is unbelievable. In 14 years the only repair (other than scheduled maintenance) has been to replace the oil pump. Since they had to pull the motor I had all belts replaced at that time (at approx. 85,000 miles). I've test driven a few newer vehicles with all the bells and whistles, but they don't compare to my 16 year old Toyota.

1997 Toyota Rav4 (auto 2.0l 4dr)
By panowak2 on 06/22/11 15:36 PM (PDT)

1997 Toyota RAV4 2dr SUV AWD

I owned this 6yr. old / 57000mi. Rav4 for 5 years, used it for USPS duty for 2 years. It had decent engine performance, but got worse in higher gears. Overall seating package was not very good, with awkward rear access coupled with poor thigh support made it uncomfortable for taller peoples. Gas mileage was fairly poor at about 22 mpg. overall; never got above 24 mpg. Traction on ice and snow was bad as can be for 4wd. Rear trunk room was good, as was overall reliability and materials quality. Engine and transmission usually were flawless. Almost no body rust at 11 yrs. old. Tire wear was a bit excessive over time, and getting tires for it was very expensive.

It takes a licking and keeps on ticking
By Kimbo873 on 06/10/10 15:10 PM (PDT)

1997 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV

We live in Florida and my husband surfs the roof racks are great to hold his boards. We have put many,many miles over 202,000 and This car is still going. Love everything about this car.

Excellent quality
By Ray on 05/28/10 20:04 PM (PDT)

1997 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV AWD

Had this car for over 13 years. No mechanical defects and 270,000 miles. Usually got around 28 mpg. It didn't have the pep that some later models had but it always got me where I needed to go.

Would Buy it Again
By MC on 08/24/09 15:31 PM (PDT)

1997 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV

I fell in love with this car before I even bought it. It just looked like it was fun to drive. I live in Florida but have driven it to Texas and New York. The drives were very comfortable and I didn't feel like I was driving a small vehicle. Even drove it during a snow storm and it handled great. Since it's raised a little you have good visibility all around. Mine is a manual 4-speed. I've never had any mechanical problems with it - I do have regular maintenance from a trusted Toyota mechanic (not the dealership) I've already decided that if I ever need any major work done I'll pay to have it done before I buy another car.

Excellent car
By Paati on 08/06/09 17:43 PM (PDT)

1997 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV

I have my four door auto for seven years and I have yet to be disappointed by it. A lady at my local plant nursery has been dogging me to sell it to her after seeing what I packed into it over the years and how it has held up. It is going to go to my daughter since KBB does not even come close to giving it a value worthy of its abilities. If you are in the market for one buy it and don't wrangle because it will be gone very quickly.

My Tonka
By Raven on 11/01/08 21:24 PM (PDT)

1997 Toyota RAV4 2dr SUV AWD

I like the sporty, good in snow, cool looking, weird little truck car. Unfortunately I've had problems with door latches, all latches, metal rusting and breaking... odd little things. I've replaced my windshield three times for cracks and pits. Mostly on major driving it never lets me down. I live in the upstate ADKS, so there is a lot of salt and hard wear, but no excuse for the bad metal situation. Still at 167,000, I'm having trouble parting with this cool truck. Put a rack on it, I can stuff it with travel gear and take my pet!!! It's a noisy truck, so I turn up the music. It's a blast on backroads and snow with loud music. What do I do with this now, how long can I make it last.

Ravioli Returns
By Tab on 09/21/08 19:05 PM (PDT)

1997 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV AWD

This is my 2nd Rav, first was 5 speed, I sold it and regretted so I bought an auto. Stick shift needs another gear for sure, tachs at about 3k at 60 mph, but hey it never let me down the 3 years I owned it. Now the auto is better but for a 4 cylinder and its get up it should do better ( 23 city ). I love it, awesome in the snow, rain any weather. Would buy another, I am a Honda lover also. Auto shifts so smooth you almost don't feel it.

I loved that car
By I loved that car on 09/20/08 23:16 PM (PDT)

1997 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV

I bought this car used with only 6k mls. It was always very reliable, enough room, gas mileage great. I still own the car, although some idiot decided not to look before pulling out into the highway and hit me in the side, my rav rolled 4 times. I climbed out without many injuries, nothing broken. My car on the other hand looks a sight. Although to everyones surprise, it still runs. Wrecker man brought it to my house and parked it on the street. I told him I needed it in the driveway, so he got in it and DROVE it to the space I wanted it. Still quiet running, sounds great. I don't know what I will do with it, I know I am going to miss driving it.

I will sorely miss this car!
By Judy on 08/01/08 22:08 PM (PDT)

1997 Toyota RAV4 2dr SUV

I bought this vehicle new in 1997 and never regretted a day of driving it. Sporty little number that always turned heads - I've had several people want to buy it but of course I turned them down. I kept it maintained but in the end (July 2008), I didn't pay attention to oil leakage and the engine died. I went to several auto mechanics (personal friends) and was willing to pay $2500 to get another engine but decided after driving it for eleven years that I didn't want to take the chance (on expert advice) that another engine could fail in six months. Annoys me that had I paid attention, I could still be driving it another five years!