Used 1997 Toyota RAV4 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:

LOVE my 1997 RAV4
By teresa31

1997 Toyota RAV4 2dr SUV AWD

I purchased my '97 Rav4 14 years ago with approximately 30,000 miles on it. Today it has 103,000 miles and is still going strong. The paint looks fantastic. The sunroof has never leaked. Seats still look great. It isn't a "peppy" driving vehicle but it is the most reliable car that I've ever owned. It goes in ANY weather. The amount of storage with the seats down is unbelievable. In 14 years the only repair (other than scheduled maintenance) has been to replace the oil pump. Since they had to pull the motor I had all belts replaced at that time (at approx. 85,000 miles). I've test driven a few newer vehicles with all the bells and whistles, but they don't compare to my 16 year old Toyota.

The reliability of the vehicle is my favorite feature. I never, ever question that I can get in my Rav and that it will get me where I need to go. If you are lucky enough to find a well maintained '97 RAV, you should grab it!

Frankly, Toyota should revisit the '97 design -- perhaps not the styling so much as the parts and quality of the vehicle. I doubt many of the 2012 Rav 4 vehicles will be on the road (looking as good as mine) in 16 years.

1997 Toyota Rav4 (auto 2.0l 4dr)
By panowak2

1997 Toyota RAV4 2dr SUV AWD

I owned this 6yr. old / 57000mi. Rav4 for 5 years, used it for USPS duty for 2 years. It had decent engine performance, but got worse in higher gears. Overall seating package was not very good, with awkward rear access coupled with poor thigh support made it uncomfortable for taller peoples. Gas mileage was fairly poor at about 22 mpg. overall; never got above 24 mpg. Traction on ice and snow was bad as can be for 4wd. Rear trunk room was good, as was overall reliability and materials quality. Engine and transmission usually were flawless. Almost no body rust at 11 yrs. old. Tire wear was a bit excessive over time, and getting tires for it was very expensive.

Quality of materials; Reliability of all parts and stuff; Exterior looks;

Better seating design; Better fuel economy; Better snow/ice traction;

It takes a licking and keeps on ticking
By Kimbo873

1997 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV

We live in Florida and my husband surfs the roof racks are great to hold his boards. We have put many,many miles over 202,000 and This car is still going. Love everything about this car.

Excellent quality
By Ray

1997 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV AWD

Had this car for over 13 years. No mechanical defects and 270,000 miles. Usually got around 28 mpg. It didn't have the pep that some later models had but it always got me where I needed to go.

Gas mileage. Reliability.

Would Buy it Again
By MC

1997 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV

I fell in love with this car before I even bought it. It just looked like it was fun to drive. I live in Florida but have driven it to Texas and New York. The drives were very comfortable and I didn't feel like I was driving a small vehicle. Even drove it during a snow storm and it handled great. Since it's raised a little you have good visibility all around. Mine is a manual 4-speed. I've never had any mechanical problems with it - I do have regular maintenance from a trusted Toyota mechanic (not the dealership) I've already decided that if I ever need any major work done I'll pay to have it done before I buy another car.

Handling by far! This vehicle is easy to maneuver - turns on a dime and fits into small spaces. The back seats flip down to allow for more cargo space. I read another review that said it didn't have a tight turning ratio - mine has a fantastic turning ratio and making a U-turn is easy.

It only has ONE cup holder. Hello? I understand this was corrected in subsequent models.