Used 1996 Toyota RAV4 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:

1996 RAV4 2 Door
By 1996 Toyota RAV4

1996 Toyota RAV4 SUV 2dr SUV

Purchased my RAV4 as a tow car for large motorhome.I have an interchangeable brush guard and tow bar. Very easy to tow, fun to drive. 29 MPG, with 5 speed. Has front and back sun roof. Well built little car, serviced every 3000 miles, not one single problem. I like the cargo style door in back with fold down seats there is a nice storage area. It has 116,000 miles and is driven about 40 total miles each day to work. Blue paint still looks new. I will buy another one when this one wears out... however, I hope for another 100,000 miles.

Easy to tow, comfortable to drive, and very economical, good style

center arm rest would be nice and cruise control

The Best
By Anthony Dunn

1996 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV AWD

This RAV4 is the most reliable car I have ever seen. My parents purchased it new in 1996 and sold it to me in 2006. It now has 250,000 miles on it and will not die. It has had a couple of timing belts and a cat. converter and that is it. Everything works and the paint and interior have held up very well. It might be a little under powered but the that does not bother me. It is no wonder that Toyota is becoming the number one seller. The new one my parents bought in 2006 has 60,000 miles and zero problems be smart buy Toyota.

Everything

None

185K and Still Going!
By RAVLover

1996 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV

I bought this new in 1997 and it now has 185,000 miles on it. The only repairs I had to do up until about 170,000 miles were brake jobs and I had to replace 2 A/C blower fan motors (about $50 each). I'm on my second set of tires with plenty of tread remaining. At 170,000 miles I replaced the A/C. At around 180,000 miles the timing belt finally broke so I went ahead and had new axles and new rear drums replaced while it was in the shop. Otherwise all I've done is change the oil every 3,000 miles. My daughter wants it and may give it to her but it's gonna be hard parting with it.

It has plenty of pep! A/C is cold! Radio has great sound! Turns on a dime and gives you 9 cents change!

Can't think of any. I bought it after my wife looked up the specs and it has more head room than the same year model 4Runner.

Great Vehicle
By DJThumper

1996 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV AWD

Bought used in 02 and now have over 155000 miles. It is a daily driver, handles the day to day driving with no problems at all. I have driven it in icy conditions and in off-road muddy conditions and have had no problems with it. I hope to have it for years to come

Fun to drive. It fits in many places others can't. Turns on a dime.

Underpowered, towing capability and interior space. All that has been taken care of in the new RAVs.

96 RAV4 Review
By Lee

1996 Toyota RAV4 SUV 2dr SUV

I have 92,000 miles and service it every 3000 miles. Drive 18 miles to work each day at around 26 MPG. My RAV is a five speed and I tow it behind a large RV, great RV tow car. I have an interchangeable brush guard and tow assembley on front. Great AC and heat and park anywhere. I have really enjoyed the car. Fun in the mountains of north Georgia. Double sun roof, paint finish is still very good. Paid $11,500 for the car about seven or eight years ago. I think it is a good little car. I plan to keep the car until the wheels fall off.

One favorite feature is that I can tow the car on all four wheels just by placing it in neutral. I also like that I can fold the two rear seats up, this provides a nice amount of room in the back. I also carry a cargo carrier attached to the trailer hitch.

I guess about the only thing that I would like to add to this car is a cruise control and maybe a little more power. But not at the expense of gas milage.