1996 Toyota RAV4 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:
Little Ugly Monster
By a79 on 05/23/13 18:39 PM (PDT)

1996 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV AWD

I bought this car for A$5000 year ago when ODO meter was at 220,000. This had been a awesome car in terms of reliability, I dive this to work 5 days a week which is a 90km trip and never misses a beat. Great in hauling stuff around. Fuel economy was bad tlli I changed the fuel to Shell V, now it does little over 10km per litre. We make frequent trips to Dandenong ranges with steep hills and sharpe curves, fun to drive and never gave any problems. Low on safety features, no Air Bags. Loving this monster.

Great Car
By mechanical1 on 02/09/12 13:13 PM (PST)

1996 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV AWD

4 Wheel Drive 2.0L 3S-FE engine 5 Speed I say "great" car in the title... However mechanically this car is a horror story to work on. Toyota really did not think about maintenance when designing this car. It's definitely not a Honda... Plan on small working spaces, and hard to reach bolts for any maintenance other then oil changes. When I bought it in 2010 the car was leaking oil out of just about every orifice. So when buying one plan on changing some seals Aside from all that this car is wonderful to drive. I've taken it up mountains, through rivers, over rainy freeways, dirt roads. It handles like a car, but can take the beating of a truck.

I'm Lost Without My little Rav 4
By Dot on 08/16/10 19:46 PM (PDT)

1996 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV AWD

I really loved my rav4. It was very dependable & fun to drive. I was able to haul many things in it including a full size dryer & once hauled a kitchen table & 4 chairs. I was planning on keeping it until it could not go any longer. Well, you see it could not go any longer as a Young lady went through a stop sign & t boned me with a uninsured truck & totaled my rav. I never thought I would miss a vehicle as much as I do this one. I will have me another one as soon as I can. Right now I'm having to pay all the medical bills she caused me. I'm angry that she hurt me physically but, I'm more angry that she took my rav away from me. I was very proud of my little SUV. I feel envy every time I see someone w/ one

Little Trooper
By Corun B on 02/05/10 17:21 PM (PST)

1996 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV AWD

HAd this car for 10 years and not one problem. I can't get over how reliable this thing is. I live in the mountains with annual snow and haven't been stuck once, it goes to hell and back and is the best car that I have ever owned. This is the only car you would ever need in your life.

A GOOD Buy
By Red on 11/12/09 09:47 AM (PST)

1996 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV

This little SUV is just the thing for good basic transportation. It now has over 160,000 miles on it and I expect to go well over 200,000. It averages over 27mpg combined city/highway driving. It's nothing fancy but it always gets me where I want to go. Besides regular maintenance the only things replaced have been the water pump, timing belt, and thermostat. This would be a great first car for anyone.

1996 RAV4 2 Door
By 1996 Toyota RAV4 on 04/05/09 14:00 PM (PDT)

1996 Toyota RAV4 SUV 2dr SUV

Purchased my RAV4 as a tow car for large motorhome.I have an interchangeable brush guard and tow bar. Very easy to tow, fun to drive. 29 MPG, with 5 speed. Has front and back sun roof. Well built little car, serviced every 3000 miles, not one single problem. I like the cargo style door in back with fold down seats there is a nice storage area. It has 116,000 miles and is driven about 40 total miles each day to work. Blue paint still looks new. I will buy another one when this one wears out... however, I hope for another 100,000 miles.

The Best
By Anthony Dunn on 08/18/08 21:43 PM (PDT)

1996 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV AWD

This RAV4 is the most reliable car I have ever seen. My parents purchased it new in 1996 and sold it to me in 2006. It now has 250,000 miles on it and will not die. It has had a couple of timing belts and a cat. converter and that is it. Everything works and the paint and interior have held up very well. It might be a little under powered but the that does not bother me. It is no wonder that Toyota is becoming the number one seller. The new one my parents bought in 2006 has 60,000 miles and zero problems be smart buy Toyota.

185K and Still Going!
By RAVLover on 07/12/08 13:20 PM (PDT)

1996 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV

I bought this new in 1997 and it now has 185,000 miles on it. The only repairs I had to do up until about 170,000 miles were brake jobs and I had to replace 2 A/C blower fan motors (about $50 each). I'm on my second set of tires with plenty of tread remaining. At 170,000 miles I replaced the A/C. At around 180,000 miles the timing belt finally broke so I went ahead and had new axles and new rear drums replaced while it was in the shop. Otherwise all I've done is change the oil every 3,000 miles. My daughter wants it and may give it to her but it's gonna be hard parting with it.

Great Vehicle
By DJThumper on 11/03/07 12:26 PM (PDT)

1996 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV AWD

Bought used in 02 and now have over 155000 miles. It is a daily driver, handles the day to day driving with no problems at all. I have driven it in icy conditions and in off-road muddy conditions and have had no problems with it. I hope to have it for years to come

96 RAV4 Review
By Lee on 12/22/06 16:51 PM (PST)

1996 Toyota RAV4 SUV 2dr SUV

I have 92,000 miles and service it every 3000 miles. Drive 18 miles to work each day at around 26 MPG. My RAV is a five speed and I tow it behind a large RV, great RV tow car. I have an interchangeable brush guard and tow assembley on front. Great AC and heat and park anywhere. I have really enjoyed the car. Fun in the mountains of north Georgia. Double sun roof, paint finish is still very good. Paid $11,500 for the car about seven or eight years ago. I think it is a good little car. I plan to keep the car until the wheels fall off.