Used 1996 Toyota RAV4 SUV Consumer Reviews - 25 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:

In a Relationship
By krnklng@yahoo.com

1996 Toyota RAV4 SUV 2dr SUV

I love this vehicle. 295,000 miles on my 1996 and still purring. I have to put oil in it almost weekly but a small sacrifice to drive this beast. I expect it to run another 100,000. Starts up beautifully but a little rough on the road, to be expected with so many miles. I want to buy another one when this finally gives up on me and hope to find one just like her with low miles.

Little Ugly Monster
By a79

1996 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV AWD

I bought this car for A$5000 year ago when ODO meter was at 220,000.

This had been a awesome car in terms of reliability, I dive this to work 5 days a week which is a 90km trip and never misses a beat. Great in hauling stuff around.

Fuel economy was bad tlli I changed the fuel to Shell V, now it does little over 10km per litre.

We make frequent trips to Dandenong ranges with steep hills and sharpe curves, fun to drive and never gave any problems.

Low on safety features, no Air Bags.
Loving this monster.

Great Car
By mechanical1

4 Wheel Drive
2.0L 3S-FE engine 5 Speed

I say "great" car in the title... However mechanically this car is a horror story to work on. Toyota really did not think about maintenance when designing this car. It's definitely not a Honda... Plan on small working spaces, and hard to reach bolts for any maintenance other then oil changes.

When I bought it in 2010 the car was leaking oil out of just about every orifice. So when buying one plan on changing some seals

Aside from all that this car is wonderful to drive. I've taken it up mountains, through rivers, over rainy freeways, dirt roads. It handles like a car, but can take the beating of a truck.

Versatility - it can take you to work or haul a load

Noise reduction - Any speed over 75 is horribly noisy Redesign engine compartment to make maintenance possible without dropping the engine Re-tune the computer for a more conservative A/F map, and reduce the risks of detonation, or make it possible to adjust the timing manually

I'm Lost Without My little Rav 4
By Dot

1996 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV AWD

I really loved my rav4. It was very dependable & fun to drive. I was able to haul many things in it including a full size dryer & once hauled a kitchen table & 4 chairs. I was planning on keeping it until it could not go any longer. Well, you see it could not go any longer as a Young lady went through a stop sign & t boned me with a uninsured truck & totaled my rav. I never thought I would miss a vehicle as much as I do this one. I will have me another one as soon as I can. Right now I'm having to pay all the medical bills she caused me. I'm angry that she hurt me physically but, I'm more angry that she took my rav away from me. I was very proud of my little SUV. I feel envy every time I see someone w/ one

Sporty looks W/white lettered tires easy to handle Cargo room great in the snow colorful interior

cup holders move ashtray up

Little Trooper
By Corun B

1996 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV AWD

HAd this car for 10 years and not one problem. I can't get over how reliable this thing is. I live in the mountains with annual snow and haven't been stuck once, it goes to hell and back and is the best car that I have ever owned. This is the only car you would ever need in your life.

Reliability, is fun to drive, great in snow. Awesome Gas mileage in this.

Just noise deadening other than that nothing.