2016 Toyota Prius Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 75 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2016 Toyota Prius Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prius model:

Three for Three
By Kevin

2016 Toyota Prius Hatchback Four 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This is our 3rd new Prius. First was bought in 2005 and major concern was would it start sitting outside in cold weather. Would the battery work and last? Local dealers hadn't seen a hybrid car when we had the oil changed locally. Bought a 2010 Prius II. 110,000 miles later all we change are tires and oil. With every generation they have gotten better. We finally stepped up to the 2016 Prius IV because we wanted the blind spot indicator. The cabin and ride are all improved. The headlights are better than the 2010 which were better than the 2005. There are many great cars available today, but the cost per mile to purchase and drive keeps bringing us back to the Prius.

Prius Touring 4 not so good
By disappointed buyer

2016 Toyota Prius Hatchback Four Touring 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Oh man the seats are very uncomfortable, small and even on a short drive can create back pain. Also very difficult to get in and out of the front seat. Visiblity very bad, the back seat head rest impede view through the back window. Very little storage, crummy single cd player. Interior trim around instruments and center console made with very cheap plastic materials. No spare tire! Wow Toyota how the mighty have failed. I had a 2007 touring Prius and loved it but this 2016 falls short on every aspect in comparison other then mileage.

long distance driving
By Terry

How can Toyota come out with such a great cat with one big flaw.. the seats for long distance driving are the worst of any car I have owned. we latterly crawl of the car after a long road trip. this is the reason I will get rid of it asap. will get less millage but better seating in something rather than this. (have owned 5 Toyotas.

Prius 4 Touring a treat!
By Bryn James

Read all the specs before shopping. I spend 10-12 hours doing research but it was worth it. The Prius is not one car; there are many models and one more is forthcoming by the end of 2016. In the beginning I was confused. Prius C, Prius Persona, Prius Two, Prius Three, Prius Three Touring, Prius Four, Prius Four Touring (my choice), Prius V. This car was purchased for my 18 year-old daughter who is in college in Marin County California so her priority was mileage. The Prius can't be beat in this category. I wanted safety included so I chose the safety features of the Prius Four Touring. The lane deviation warnings and the breaking features. The internet has charts comparing the features so be sure and find out which model is best for your needs. The car gives you a tutorial after you drive it. My first drive from the lot was from 4 miles to 6 miles. The lesson: 'you can get better mileage if you don't accelerate so quickly.' Ouch! Lesson learned. The trim lines of the car and those unique tail lights that stand out at night on the 2016 model are classy. We also bought her the tire and wheel warranty, Cilajet coating and the maintenance plan. Check the prices of options with the finance manager. That increased the price about $4,125. We got a $2,000 credit and 1.9% 5-year financing. The paid for price includes all options, sales tax, license and processing fee. It is the 'out the door' price. The MSRP was $32,964. By the way, my daughter loves her new Prius. She has some wheels to go with that 3.7 GPA. The father is a happy man.

Best mpg EVER!!!!!
By Ken

2016 Toyota Prius Hatchback Two Eco 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Went with the Eco to get the extra mile or two. So far I have 4k miles and have just finished a 250mi road trip avg 62mpg.... mostly highway. I commute 100mi a day and usually get around 55-56 doing 70-75. Anything over that kills the mpg. From 45 to 60 is the sweet spot. I'm starting to like construction zones on the highways due to the slow down;). Still has enough get up on the highway if you need to move. insurance is crazy cheap. my 08 Hummer cost an extra $100 every 6months.