Used 2014 Toyota Prius Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 9 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Toyota Prius Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prius model:

Love our Prius
By hondoman45

2014 Toyota Prius Hatchback Three 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We have the Prius 3 package which has navigation and keyless opening of the two front doors and the hatchback. The smartkey system is wonderful as the key fob stays in your pocket yet you can open the doors and start the car. We also have this on our 2008 Prius which is also a fine car. Haven't had any issues with the nav and we've used it in most of the western states. This generation of the prius is quieter and rides more smoothly than the previous two. It gets about 10% better gas mileage than our 2008 without babying it. On the highway my 2008 gets about 44-45 mpg while the 2014 gets at least 50 mpg. Luggage capacity is not an issue for our family as it fits many suitcases. This car has only 16k miles but I expect it will hold up as well as the 2008. No problems with the car. It did come with cheap Bridgestone tires which were garbage and were replaced at 10k miles by Michelin Premiers which are outstanding for snow and handling. My wife drives like a formula one driver yet gets about 46 mpg in the city. Wish we would have gone for the softex interior as the cloth is easily dirtied. Headlights are excellent and improved over the prior generation. Climate control is typical Toyota: excellent. Visibility once you get used to the rear window is excellent as well. If you aren't intimidated by it, the car is easy to work on and super cheap to maintain. It is a nice feeling to have cars that are reliable and safe. Definitely recommend this car.

The BEST overall vehicle on the road
By robb

2014 Toyota Prius Hatchback Two 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I own a 2016 BMW 3 Series, 2013 MBenz and the Prius is everyone's favorite. It is all 10's in every category. 42.5 City and 54.5 Hwy.

This Is Our Third Pruis. My Son Drives the first.
By John Mann

Blizzard Pearl Prius
By tomtsotsis

In life sometimes you make mistakes and end up buying a Prius. Overall the car gives you so much you can't really hate it like you should. It took me to New York and back with 3 huge suitcases in the trunk and 5 people 500 miles roundtrip cost me 20 bucks. It is comfortable for long trips and is very quiet. I am impressed with the quality of the bluetooth and the entertainment system and I overall like the interior and exterior style and design. It drives fine. It is meant to be the work horse that will get save me in gas. When your stuck in traffic life is great in a Prius the engine turns off. I had some issues with the car from the start but eventually toyota fixed it after a few attempts

Gas mileage, bluetooth, car style.

Power!! It needs about 100 more HP and I would be willing to pay for it to be a little rocket. Toyota we want more power from this quiet unassuming car. Also the handling is like a boat and it needs to shed those little training wheels immediately. Many negative connotations exist with driving a Prius all the Hummers will be trying to run you over but the Police would never stop a Prius and the insurance is half the cost of another car. It is a wonderful little car but it needs more wow factor it is a little bland as a daily thing.

2014 prius 2
By 1bravo2

After reading the reviews and inquiring with my coworkers that owned a prius, and assuring me that they get the 50mpg, I decided to buy one for myself and one for my daughter. Even the salesman told me that you drive it like a regular car. Well six months later, I now believe that i was lied to or the car was overrated on the ease of getting 50mpg. The reality is the car computer calculates 3mpg over of what I actually get, by miles driven verses fuel used. If you drive it normal you get low 40s. To get to the 50s you need to coast or try to keep it in electric mode as much as possible while everybody else is passing you. You stay busy and it is a head ache to drive it to get the miles.

Styling, bluetooth, trunk space. If you were to drive the regular gas car like you need to drive the prius to achieve the high gas milage, your regular gas car mpg would be a lot hihger too.

Other prius drivers would tell me that you use the electric battery to get you moving and that is where the fuel saving is. Not so, electric is useless at start, even ev mode is only good for a few uses and you have to gradually accelerate while other cars are waiting for you. The battery is too weak to make it usefull at starts, it needs a stronger battery that can get you to 30 mph every time from a stop and than have the engine take over. Bottom line, do not believe my review or others. Rent a prius or other car you wish to buy, drive it for the day on fwy and street and make your own decision. Cars and appliances you can not return. And remember a car salesman is not your friend.