Used 2013 Toyota Prius Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Toyota Prius Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prius model:

don't trust prius gen3 hybrid battery
By ga2

2013 Toyota Prius Hatchback Two 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have the latest generation 3 prius, now driving for 4 years. Unfortunately, the battery failed, but the warranty expired at 100,000, and we drive kids to school and sports and put on 30,000 per year. Dealer wanted $6000 to replace it! Car is worthless to trade in until battery fixed. A local hybrid shop replaced the bad cell (# 4,5,9 slightly low, but #8 very low) for $675. This solved the problem and module 8 still good, but now #4,5,9 gradually becoming weaker requiring hybrid resets. Toyota doesn't care. Ridiculous to have a worthless car after only 4 years. Will never buy from Toyota again. We have frequent 90 degree days here in summer, and that is apparently the reason. Don't buy unless you live in Canada or the border states, because everywhere else in the US it is too hot. The prius hybrid is a joke, and Toyota just tells me "tough luck."

excellent vehicle for my purpose
By radar17

I bought a 2013 Prius new, largely to drive on country roads with an annual cross-country trip. Vehicle currently has 40,000+ miles on it with zero problems. On the cross county trips I stick to the freeways and it stays above 70 all day long and fully loaded with luggage, average about 48mpg (unless big head wind) as measured by fuel used. Around home I consistently average above 50mpg. Impressive amount of interior space for size of vehicle. Before buying I checked with several taxi drivers who told me they often see Prius cabs with over 300,000 miles on them with no major problems. I'm 6'2" @ 210. Plenty of leg room. Very happy with car and would buy again.

16 months of ownership so far...
By jgilliam1955

2013 Toyota Prius Hatchback Four 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This is the best car I have ever owned. I had a VW Jetta Diesel with 200K on it but it was in the shop for eletrical stuff all the time. So I wanted regular gas car with diesel type mileage PLUS a back seat for the grandkids. The Prius fits the bill. Gas is 75 cents per gallon or more cheaper. I now have 28800 miles in it. On weekend trips I get low 50's mpg at 70mph & higher if I go 60 mph. Overall I have averaged combined MPG of 49.9. When I fill up it's $26. I take a ferry to work & it is nice to sit in a car with the AC or heater on & the engine not running. I carried my Garmin GPS for back up but the Prius GPS works great.

My favorite features are the USB for music, Auto climate control, the GPS, the updated radio, the MPG, and the car not running while waiting for the ferry for a hour.

None at this time

Gas saving appliance....
By manu77

When the salesman first showed me the Prius Four with solar and moon roof, and all sorts of gadgetry, I was overwhelmed by all the fantastic features coupled with the great mpg that the Prius is renowned for and, plus its reliability, which it has proven to be a reliable car. But, and this is a big but....they have failed to address driving ergonomics. While this model four has power seats with lumbar support, I figured out about two months and 3000 miles later on the car that the driving position of the driver is quite awkward and this could not be addressed by changing my seat position. If you are planning to buy a Prius, I suggest you carefully observe your seating and steering first.

mpg, Heads up Display, Moon roof, navigation, and many more.

Steering wheel is off center, they need to position the steering and the driver in line with the line of driving direction.

Prius falling apart
By cptdan

I bought a Prius 8 months ago to save fuel but it has been the biggest mistake I ever made. A few months ago my wife hit a truck tire retread on the highway and the right front of the car shattered in pieces never had that happen in 35 years of driving NEVER. It cost $1250 to fix and a month later a small animal ran out in front of us I think it was a raccoon the critter lived but it caused more front end damage NEVER had that happen. Toyota fixed it for free said it should have happened REALLY?. Now the windshield is cracked; the build quality in this thing is horrendous can't believe Toyota put their name on it. If you are thinking of buying a Prius DON'T.

Fuel milage it actually gets good mileage but any savings will be lost when the front end falls off.

First improve the build quality in the front end; the Prius is more fragile than those 3 wheeled things you see in India. The split rear window reduces visibility and makes it hard to back up. Car has a lot of blind spots and this is from someone who usually drives a truck. Get rid of the back up alarm I know when the car is in reverse it's not like I'm driving a Kenworth. The radio is difficult to program and the manual was useless. I like the Bluetooth feature but again it's difficult to program I had the dealer program it. Seat belt alarm should stop after 5 seconds it's very annoying and the dog doesn't wear a seat belt.