Pleasantly surprised with the 2012 over the 2011
By chipl on
2012 Toyota Prius Two 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)
Was bargain shopping for a 2011 at a Tysons VA dealer last week. They dissed me on the trade and said to take it to Carmax for the trade. So headed to Laurel MD and glad I did! The 2012 is so much nicer inside than the 2011. Add to that $3900 better on my trade-in! Things people complain about, road noise, the stereo, and such - just aren't there in my opinion. The ride/noise is as nice as my old 2003 Baja, maybe better at times except under very hard acceleration. Loving the CVT transmission, such smooth driving; but find myself needing to watch the speedometer more to be sure I am not speeding.
Favorite Features
I wanted the 2011 Prius II for the more traditional radio setup; but found that the new touch screen system and radio well worth the extra money over the 2011. Loving the BT connectivity - my dealer setup my iPhone 4 to stream music. So when I get in my car and start it up - the music starts up where I left it - after I pause it before shut off the car. One of the features of the computer is to show you the cost of your trip (based on the $ per gal you set). Liking this since it is teaching me - even at the 50.25mpg on my 1st fill-up - just how much trips that I never thought about taking on a whim, end up costing.
Suggested Improvements
Would be nice if the Prius had the interior/exterior style and comforts along the likes of similarly sized Hyundai, Ford, or others out there. Looked at the 2012 Subaru Impreza 5 door, but equipped like the 2012 Prius II; for what I was offered between the two OTD (most Imprezas had extra stuff I didn't want) - the difference was just $2000. Using the fuel economy.gov site - savings would be $740 a year at 15K miles per a year. The down sides out way the positives in MPG for me at least... Also as Eco friendly as the Prius is, why no PDF's of the manuals to read on the iPad or other e-book readers?
By dj7u
on 06/20/12 01:06 AM (PDT)

Glad you made the switch. Just went from a 2007 Prius light green base to a 2012 Prius pearl white with dark gray interior and solar sunroof. Gas mileage is about 10-15 MPG better than 2004-2009 models. Subaruas are pointless at least in the Southwest US. Most millionaires live in: 1. Los Angeles County, California. 3. Orange County, California 4. Maricopa County, Arizona (Phoenix area) 5. San Diego County, California For a good reason. The nice mild winters. So, you don't need four wheel drive. Plus, even if you drive with a four wheel drive in the snow. The other driver can hit you, and your brakes are no better than anybody elses. Hence, millionaire's realize their quality of life and they certainly don't want it ended early due to snow that kills many annually!