Beware Prius severe road noise
By alowin on
2012 Toyota Prius Three 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)
I regret buying our 2012 Prius. Wish I knew what I know now. Road noise is horrific: both tire noise on pavement and wind noise. Travel at higher speeds and over 1 hr are very unpleasant; the ride not a bit enjoyable. Sound and vibration insulation seem minimal. Also: Prius interior is cheap, car seems tinny, but, yes, it has a fabulous power technology. We do get close to 50 MPG. Considering selling it because trips are so unpleasant. Think about what's important to you.
Favorite Features
Fabulous power technology. We do get close to 50 MPG.
Suggested Improvements
Urgently needs major improvements in vibratiion and sound insulation.
By guitarjem
on 05/31/13 07:07 AM (PDT)

I have Bridgestone Ecopia's (OEM) and no road noise. I travel 160 miles everyday on I80 with no issues. Might be your tires.

By george234
on 05/20/14 18:01 PM (PDT)

I have a 2012 Prius and have the exact same problem. Dealer said it was the low resistance tires and at this time no solution. My daughter has a 2012 V and also has the problem. Noise is very tiring on long trips and you can't listen to the radio. Other than that it is a great car. I rented a Camry hybrid and it is very quiet. But you give up 10 mpg. BTW: My wife calls this car "Her little Tin Can".

By uffdaje
on 06/16/14 13:14 PM (PDT)

George234, I completely agree. I have been taking the car back to dealership I purchased my car at as well as 3 others and no one can fix the issues. I contacted Toyota National and they told me that they will not do anything about this and that I need to continue to work with dealerships on these issues. I have to use earplugs to drive this piece of junk, the engine sounds like a race car at full speed, the ride is rough and vibrates clear up the seat to head, tires lasted only 25K miles, etc. Dealer I bought car at told me to turn up the radio, use earphone or earplugs, that Toyota reengineered the side mirrors and small window and that this is the cause of the wind vortex sound around doors, that the sound is common to Prius. I had a 2004 Prius that I traded for the 2012 Prius and it did not perform or do what this piece of junk does and it was 9 years old. Insulting manufacturer and dealers. I had to get rid of my 2004 Prius because I had to have the a/c worked on and the dealership damaged the engine. When I picked up the car initially after being told that the car was ready the hood would fly up and down while driving on highway, grabbed the steering wheel and it was not locked down and could not be locked down, they then fixed this but when I was driving the car on highway at 70 miles per hour the engine ceased/froze and came to a dead stop. Had there been traffic when I was driving at 3AM I would not be here to experience the 2012 piece of garbage and warn you all about Toyota and its dealerships.

By uffdaje
on 06/16/14 13:18 PM (PDT)

I am filing arbitration concerning 2012 Prius, if no satisfaction, I will be filing on the Lemon Law. I have contacted my states Attorney General about this car.