MPG - Yay! Everything Else - Meh.
By missmytsx on
2012 Toyota Prius Two 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)
Toyota has made one efficient vehicle here. I achieve 45 - 55 mpg without really trying. In fact, I drive %100 of the time in "PWR" mode just to give this car some small modicum of driving enjoyment. But it's very small. This car, simply put, sucks all the enjoyment out of driving. It is painfully slow. Those who claim it is not slow have probably not driven a normal car in a quite a while. It is very loud - lots of road and wind noise. At highway speeds I've got to crank the radio nearly full blast just to hear the music or speech. If high real-world MPGs is your one and only criterion, then you can't do better than the Prius.
Favorite Features
MPG true to EPA numbers, even for jaded owners like myself who drive only in PWR mode and floor it just to get the thing out of its own way.
Suggested Improvements
None. This is what a Prius is. If you want nicer interior materials, better handling, and a quieter cabin, buy a Lexus ct200h. I'm trading my Prius for a normal car soon. I'll miss the mpgs. But more than that, I miss enjoying driving.
By aljensen
on 04/04/14 12:12 PM (PDT)

I'd disagree with the part about the noise. People are shocked at how quiet the Prius is when I drive them around, one person likened it to a sensory deprivation chamber. Even on the highway I don't seem to have to turn the radio up hardly. As for driving - yeah, pretty much spot on. I joke with friends that on-ramps are quite a challenge for the car. I'm reminded of stories of the "knitting machine" engine in the old VW bugs.