2012 Toyota Prius Consumer Review: Be sure this is what you want

2012 Toyota Prius - Consumer Review

Be sure this is what you want
By unixfreak0037 on

2012 Toyota Prius Two 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I was pretty excited when we first bought this car. Now that the hybrid novelty has worn off I realize what this is really is -- it's a decent family car that gets really good gas mileage. It is essentially the mini-van for small families. So be sure this is what you want. It's pretty boring to drive, and the cheap seats (in the base model) are not all that comfortable for long trips. The engine gets loud on hills, the the noise on poorly maintained roads at high speeds can be unbearable.

Mileage (of course). Our average after 6,000 miles is 50.4. I'm 6'2" and with the seat all the way back I have a ton of leg room, and my four year old has plenty behind me. Plenty of room in the trunk for storage. It's actually pretty big inside. The small tires and weight of the car help it do well in the snow. The ECO mode and regenerative braking also help you from sliding around. The EV mode is neat to show friends even if it doesn't really make a difference.

Reduce the road noise and install some more comfortable seats.