2012 Toyota Prius Hatchback Consumer Reviews 3

2012 Toyota Prius Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prius model:
L O V E this car!
By frabjous on 09/16/12 17:12 PM (PDT)

2012 Toyota Prius Hatchback Four 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I purchased the '12 Pkg 4 with the solar sun roof and just love it! I traded in my '04 Chevy Trailblazer XLT for this and will NEVER be going back to an SUV. I thought it would take a little bit to get used to, but that was not the case. It's sporty, it's zippy and much quicker to the "get go" than any SUV i've ever driven. Tons and tons of features. I love that it is tiny, but not really. There is TONS of space. I love that I get about 45 MPG instead of 15 (I even got 76 MPG in the Black Hills!) Gas savings are huge! My suggestion is to compare this car to your current car, not to other hybrids. I save over $200/month on gas alone from my previous car. Toyota has been around!

There's more to a car than mpg!
By baldeagle8 on 08/26/12 21:04 PM (PDT)

2012 Toyota Prius Hatchback Two 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Bought 2012 Prius two four months ago. Unless speed control used can't get the 50 mpg. Road noise worse than my 69 Bug. Think all that interior plastic contributes to the noise issue. Display is almost impossilbe to see in the Florida sun. This is of great concern because you can't see the performance icons. Not worried about speeding, this car couldn't win the soap box derby. Cloth seats hard to get in and out of. High beam lights are not adjustable and need it badly. Selling dealer staff not knowledgeable about features. Lastly, never had a car hydroplane so badly whcih is a problem with the kind of rains we get in Florida. Has Toyota gotten overconfident?

it's always been about the environment, not your wallet
By whcc90069 on 08/09/12 13:13 PM (PDT)

bought the package 4 not long ago. it took a while to get accustomed to the "park" button, the "gear" selector, and the complicated instrumentation display. the car is fairly quiet, though, i remember riding in a 2nd generation prius which seemed better at taking care of road noise. i drove it from l.a. to phoenix and had no problems accelerating up hills. with the a/c running, i averaged 50.9 mpg throughout the entire 780 mile round trip. the seats are comfortable and there's plenty of legroom for everyone. toyota made the prius because of their (mis)interpretation of calif. air quality standards way back when. the low emissions are great, and, the high MPGs are an added bonus.

Be sure this is what you want
By demetrios999 on 07/30/12 10:26 AM (PDT)

Run the numbers before making your decision. 50 mpg is impressive, but the Prius costs several thousand dollars more than a comparably equipped gas-only vehicle (think Corolla). If you drive 15,000 miles per year, the difference in annual fuel costs between a car that gets 30mpg and a car that gets 50mpg is only $600/year @ $3/gallon, or $800/year at $4/gallon. You may never make up the cost difference. Power is acceptable (not great) when you punch "Power Mode", otherwise it is a road hazard. I always punch that button when driving from a stoplight or getting on the highway, and turn it off when I am up to speed.

More car than I expected
By macungiee8 on 06/30/12 03:48 AM (PDT)

2012 Toyota Prius Hatchback Five 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I lease, always get 15,000 miles. Got car in Florida and full pack with 6 months of gear including 2 sets of golf clubs got 50 mpg or more. I was totally amazed. Prior to that I had a hybrid from another Japanese automaker and milking it on a trip I got 44 maybe. The Prius actually does just as good stop and go driving and with the a/c on. I maybe get a tow bar to carry bikes, I know my other car go 10 mpg less with the bikes on, really underpowered dud. I am hoping the Prius can handle them.

Great Car - comfortable cruiser - great MPG
By tiversen on 06/21/12 13:40 PM (PDT)

Had to spring for the Prius 5 since the fabric seats in the 3 were the worst (flat with no lumbar support). The leatherette seats in the 5 are awesome. Plus the 5 wheels are nice. The car is quiet, comfortable and can fit five, with room in the back for three to four wheeled carry-on suitcases. With about 1000 miles getting about 49mpg on the readout and about 46mpg using the manual calc method - in 80% hwy 20% city. Short 5 minute trips will only get you about 30 to 40 mpg since the engine has to warm up before it shuts off at stops. Still twice the mileage in the city of any gas miser. Have got up to 75mpg on a short trip when I used only the ev mode (slow excel) up to 35mph.

2 months of city driving
By quentoncassidy on 05/13/12 01:26 AM (PDT)

Just had it about two months. Very good handling vehicle around town and the mpg are fantastic! I'm averaging over 50 mpg in stop and go driving. Took a relatively long trip of 350 miles and averaged 56 mpg. Seats are very comfortable and the NAV system and technology features are great. Sound system works very well; I have the Deluxe Solar Package and the upgraded stereo is excellent. There is a solar array on top of the vehicle that runs a ventilation system to cool the car on sunny days and this is another wonderful feature. I've had sun roofs on all my cars since 1978 so I had to have this on the Prius.

Great Car
By nick1936 on 05/01/12 13:45 PM (PDT)

Love this easy to operate I drive mostly with cruise control and i am getting 55+ mpg only had the car for a month and have already saved $350 in gas over my old van.I will continue to put the difference in gas savings in a saving account for a year to see what the total saving areand subtract them from my sales price including tags and taxes which was $ 22,245 a think was a great buy.

A happy buyer.
By emmettmoore on 04/19/12 22:57 PM (PDT)

Just purchased a 2012, loaded Prius. Out the door at $35k. Switched from a Mercedes e350 that was getting 16 mpg city driving. Spending $80 dollars per week was just pissing me off...so i took the plunge. The performance is no comparison to the Mercedes, and the interior is bit bland. However, I am really enthused about the gas mileage. Drove around the city, punching the gas to see how bad of mileage I could get (seriously), I ended up with 44 after a day. The next day I babied the gas pedal on got 50. My wife is a real baby and wont drive anything but a benz, she is actually kind of liking this car, which is a big relief. My 10 year old son loves the big back seats.

2012 Prius III
By stef6 on 04/04/12 10:59 AM (PDT)

2012 Toyota Prius Hatchback Three 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This is my first Hybrid. The Prius is a comfortable good performing car for everyday driving. Two things to remember the Prius is neither a luxury car or a sports car. Once you drive it for a while the gas mileage will make you forget whatever other issues you have with the car.