2012 Toyota Prius Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prius model:
Carefree car ownership
By goodeyb on 11/27/14 12:51 PM (PST)

2012 Toyota Prius Hatchback Two 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Traded my Jeep Wrangler for this Prius about 18 months ago...it is unbelievable how practical, reliable, and inexpensive this car is. Outstanding gas mileage, almost no maintenance, and much more space then one would think.

Be Realistic, Unbelievable Value
By bryant1981 on 10/04/14 17:36 PM (PDT)

We traded our loaded 2007 Lexus RX350 for the 2012 Prius, I knew it was smart for us but worried we'd be too sensitive to the luxury adjustment-we weren't, the Prius is a much nicer car than most people think. Barcelona Red Metallic over Tan is a great color combo! Smooth & quiet, I drive for Uber & Lyft and passengers are always pleasantly surprised at the space and road manners. Swap the OEM Goodyear tires for Michelins and all is complete. We are getting between 48 and 59 MPG varying on speed/road conditions/passenger Weight. No regrets, won't drive anything but a Hybrid, we save so much money and sacrifice nothing on comfort. It's sad that the Prius is often spoken of so negatively

MPG - Yay! Everything Else - Meh.
By missmytsx on 09/22/13 19:06 PM (PDT)

Toyota has made one efficient vehicle here. I achieve 45 - 55 mpg without really trying. In fact, I drive %100 of the time in "PWR" mode just to give this car some small modicum of driving enjoyment. But it's very small. This car, simply put, sucks all the enjoyment out of driving. It is painfully slow. Those who claim it is not slow have probably not driven a normal car in a quite a while. It is very loud - lots of road and wind noise. At highway speeds I've got to crank the radio nearly full blast just to hear the music or speech. If high real-world MPGs is your one and only criterion, then you can't do better than the Prius.

Everyone should have one. GREAT MPG
By harrispotter on 02/23/13 04:28 AM (PST)

recently purchased it at 0% special. Already saved tons of money. Used to get $400 worth of gas a month on my 4runner. Now I pay no more than $50 a month. It's fun to drive. MPG gets better and better. Battery charges when you apply breaks. Interior looks very nice. High tech functions. It has a built in phone. It uses Bluetooth. I keep my phone in my pocket just use the car. No more keys. Keys are for old school cars. I bought it a grossinger in downtown Chicago. Purchase was quick and simple. I priced the car from the dealer over texting. I got there straight to finance and done. 0%.

4 month unpdate
By boeserkritiker on 02/04/13 11:02 AM (PST)

previously mentioned Bluetooth connectivity issues had to do with the phone, not the car. I basically want to give a mpg update. it really does not seem to make a whole lot of a difference trying to specifically drive in a max. saving manner or just go with the flow. I tried both and you get somewhere around +/-54mpg per computer in mixed driving. just don't have a heavy foot. trying to squeeze out one or two more mpg's really makes you the slowest on the road. the two best tips I have is leave as much as possible to the cruise control. the computer seems to do the most efficient choices. and forget the eco mode button. i drive a lot in slightly hilly areas and the small engine really

Rock solid reliability
By ripdaddy on 01/01/13 12:30 PM (PST)

I was a bit concerned with the added complication of hybrid technology. But historically the Prius has been one of most reliable cars on the road. I've never see mention of battery pack failure and they seem to last far beyond their guaranteed life span. I enjoy driving the car. The steering wheel is a bit of a reach even with the telescoping column. I cannot get the seats situated where I can spend an extended time driving. I'm 6'1" but because of the steeply raked windshield I have to position the seatback rearward before I can comfortably see under the top edge of the windshield. The pressure on my tailbone quickly becomes uncomfortable. I'd still buy a Prius again, though.

Be sure this is what you want
By unixfreak0037 on 12/30/12 12:41 PM (PST)

I was pretty excited when we first bought this car. Now that the hybrid novelty has worn off I realize what this is really is -- it's a decent family car that gets really good gas mileage. It is essentially the mini-van for small families. So be sure this is what you want. It's pretty boring to drive, and the cheap seats (in the base model) are not all that comfortable for long trips. The engine gets loud on hills, the the noise on poorly maintained roads at high speeds can be unbearable.

Love it for what it is - No regrets!
By boeserkritiker on 11/12/12 14:39 PM (PST)

The seat fabric is cheap. Not sure how it will hold up. The clove box seems to rattle a little sometimes. But other than that it seems like a fine built car and a great deal for what you get and being a hybrid. Paid 23k OTD. Average 56.5 miles per computer, calculated 2 miles less. I accelerate and slow down smoothly and stick to speed limit. It's not a sports car but I love it for what it is. It should be cheaper in the long run than another compact car if the hybrid system doesn't cause additional expensive repairs and comes with more features. The off-center 'gauge' cluster doesn't bother me. the speed, etc is actually easier to read being much higher up than standard clusters.

Poor interior engineering, cheap plastics, cheap fabric
By malansworth on 10/17/12 00:17 AM (PDT)

Interior engineering was not well thought out and is deficient in many areas relative to comparable cars. Insufficient storage compartments. The large storage area under the "bridge" is awkwardly placed and leaves objects exposed. Access to seat heater switches and the 12-volt auxiliary input under the bridge is inconvenient and a potential safety issue if you reach for them while driving. The console storage is large and deep, which means that you must pile up objects on top of each other. The USB port is inconveniently located near the bottom of the console storage, so there is the likelihood that the USB drive will break due to contact with the storage contents. Seats lack lumbar support.

There's more to a car than mpg!
By baldeagle8 on 08/26/12 21:04 PM (PDT)

Bought 2012 Prius two four months ago. Unless speed control used can't get the 50 mpg. Road noise worse than my 69 Bug. Think all that interior plastic contributes to the noise issue. Display is almost impossilbe to see in the Florida sun. This is of great concern because you can't see the performance icons. Not worried about speeding, this car couldn't win the soap box derby. Cloth seats hard to get in and out of. High beam lights are not adjustable and need it badly. Selling dealer staff not knowledgeable about features. Lastly, never had a car hydroplane so badly whcih is a problem with the kind of rains we get in Florida. Has Toyota gotten overconfident?

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Toyota Prius Hatchback in VA is:

$128 per month*