2012 Toyota Prius Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prius model:
Piece of Junk, Insulting Manufacturer/Dealerships
By uffdaje on 06/16/14 13:22 PM (PDT)

2012 Toyota Prius Hatchback Three 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

, I completely agree. I have been taking the car back to dealership I purchased my car at as well as 3 others and no one can fix the issues. I contacted Toyota National and they told me that they will not do anything about this and that I need to continue to work with dealerships on these issues. I have to use earplugs to drive this piece of junk, the engine sounds like a race car at full speed, the ride is rough and vibrates clear up the seat to head, tires lasted only 25K miles, etc. Dealer I bought car at told me to turn up the radio, use earphone or earplugs, that Toyota reengineered the side mirrors and small window and that this is the cause of the wind vortex sound around doors, that

MPG - Yay! Everything Else - Meh.
By missmytsx on 09/22/13 19:06 PM (PDT)

2012 Toyota Prius Hatchback Two 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Toyota has made one efficient vehicle here. I achieve 45 - 55 mpg without really trying. In fact, I drive %100 of the time in "PWR" mode just to give this car some small modicum of driving enjoyment. But it's very small. This car, simply put, sucks all the enjoyment out of driving. It is painfully slow. Those who claim it is not slow have probably not driven a normal car in a quite a while. It is very loud - lots of road and wind noise. At highway speeds I've got to crank the radio nearly full blast just to hear the music or speech. If high real-world MPGs is your one and only criterion, then you can't do better than the Prius.

Getting to know you..all about you
By rwinga on 09/05/13 05:34 AM (PDT)

I've had the Prius Three for about a month and it is the first hybrid car I've owned. There's been a bit of a learning curve as to how the unit operates, what works in driving it and what doesn't. While not a sports car, I think the handling of the Prius is under rated. It's not glued to the rails so to speak but handles far better than many other cars from my past, especially the crossovers and SUVs. The vision outward is a bit of a challenge, especially in the early days but I've since gotten used to the sharp angles and have come to rely on the side view mirrors more than on most any other car I've owned. So far, so good. The joystick gear changer is OK but too 'cute'.

After One Year
By stef6 on 05/06/13 10:38 AM (PDT)

The Prius has proven itself to be reliable and provide very good gas mileage. The seats are comfortable, however the road noise needs to be reduced. It may be the norm for cars of this class, but Toyota should do better. I have over 25K miles on the car now so I spend considerable time in it. The only complaint is the highway raod noise. I would gladly trade a mile or two per gallon for a quiet car.

2012 Prius
By kellybokc on 04/24/13 06:09 AM (PDT)

2012 Toyota Prius Hatchback Five 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Bought my 2012 Prius hatchback 5, 2 weeks ago and love it! They took $5000 off sticker and I got zero percent financing! I'm getting on average 49 miles per gallon and it cost me $27 dollars to fill up the gas tank! Used to pay 70 to 75 dollars a week!

Beware Prius severe road noise
By alowin on 04/12/13 14:02 PM (PDT)

I regret buying our 2012 Prius. Wish I knew what I know now. Road noise is horrific: both tire noise on pavement and wind noise. Travel at higher speeds and over 1 hr are very unpleasant; the ride not a bit enjoyable. Sound and vibration insulation seem minimal. Also: Prius interior is cheap, car seems tinny, but, yes, it has a fabulous power technology. We do get close to 50 MPG. Considering selling it because trips are so unpleasant. Think about what's important to you.

Love my Prius
By jimjkc on 03/02/13 11:57 AM (PST)

2012 Toyota Prius Hatchback Four 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I was impressed from the moment I sat in the 2012 Prius, it has so many features and I have found it fun to drive on short and long trips. I owned a RAV 4 before trading it in for the Prius and found the Prius to be quieter than the RAV so I was happy about that. The milage is great and I am happy with the cost so far. I believe this will last me for a very long time. A couple of negative things, the USB port is in an awkward place and the date is very hard to change on the computer and the seats could be more comfortable.

over all value
By shirley261 on 02/28/13 19:13 PM (PST)

These cars deliver maximum MPG in a city setting. My car requires a fill up only once every 3 weeks. I test my milage and have found that the mpg as listed in the cars figures and my figures agree. I have no complaints with the interior except that my golf clubs are about 2 inches to long to fit in the trunk comfortably. I am 5'3" and my husband is 6'3" and we both are very satisfied with the car, both comfort wise and performance wise.

Everyone should have one. GREAT MPG
By harrispotter on 02/23/13 04:28 AM (PST)

recently purchased it at 0% special. Already saved tons of money. Used to get $400 worth of gas a month on my 4runner. Now I pay no more than $50 a month. It's fun to drive. MPG gets better and better. Battery charges when you apply breaks. Interior looks very nice. High tech functions. It has a built in phone. It uses Bluetooth. I keep my phone in my pocket just use the car. No more keys. Keys are for old school cars. I bought it a grossinger in downtown Chicago. Purchase was quick and simple. I priced the car from the dealer over texting. I got there straight to finance and done. 0%.

fuel economy is misleading
By prius2012owner on 02/04/13 18:06 PM (PST)

I was buying this model in February-March 2012, when neither diller, no Toyota website had the 2012 model description. I was told that the model is exactly as 2011. It turned out that there's single difference - parking assist was removed from 2012 model. Huge, huge disappointment! Another minus is that Toyota, looks like intentionally!, overstates fuel economy. The car does regularly show 49 to 51 overall mpg, but the number is always (I mean ALWAYS) 2-2.5 mpg higher than reality (miles driven/number of galons filled in). At 60mph the car shows speed 2mph higher than external GPSes. May be related to the previous. Tires are bad, very noisy on hwy. Hwy mpg is only about 40 at 70-75mph.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Toyota Prius Hatchback in WA is:

$157 per month*