Used 2012 Toyota Prius Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Toyota Prius Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prius model:

Love 'em so much we own 2!
By Mike Colley

2012 Toyota Prius Hatchback Five 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We love our priuii :) and will probably not buy anything else again. We AVERAGE 50 mpg in cars that are very comfortable. Cargo space is pretty amazing, too - We have had several occasions when the home improvement store worker helping load has said, "No way!" and we replied - "You'll be surprised!" We have a 2012 and a 2015 Prius 3. Love 'em both! The 2012 has almost 100,000 miles on it. We would not hesitate to drive this car across the country. The ONLY negative things are the headlights have an abrupt view line on low beam and there is a really bad blind spot. Mirror placement helps.

I Expected More from Toyota
By Philip Anthony

2012 Toyota Prius Hatchback Three 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have really enjoyed my Toyota Prius... until yesterday. At 32,526 miles, I heard an odd sound under the hood. The dealership told me that my AC compressor had seized and would cost $2,600 to fix!!! They also informed me that, though I was under the 36,000 mile limit of my warranty, I was 20 days past the 3 year limit. I thought, " Surely Toyota will honor the warranty and take care of this repair". When I owned a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu, I was in a similar situation with my alternator. Chevy stepped up and took care of the issue at no charge to me. Surely, Toyota would do the same.... No. They were unwilling to even help with the cost, despite the diagnosis being that the compressor was faulty.

Great Hybrid!
By Xou Yang

2012 Toyota Prius Hatchback Two 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Great car for the money. Traded my 2013 Scion FRS in for Prius II. Looks great, decent interior, a lot of interior space, GREAT MPG, and thus far maintenance-free. Acceleration is decent. I mean, it's no sports car! I spend between $22-40 on gas every month. It saves me a ton of $$$$$! I have no regrets at all and totally recommend it.

I love the MPG on my Prius II. Saves me a lot of money.

Nice interior design but quality isn't there. But it doesn't bother me.

Carefree car ownership
By goodeyb

Traded my Jeep Wrangler for this Prius about 18 months ago...it is unbelievable how practical, reliable, and inexpensive this car is. Outstanding gas mileage, almost no maintenance, and much more space then one would think.

I am 6' 2" and have plenty of room. The seats fold down to give nearly as much cargo room as my old Grand Cherokee. The front, side, and curtain airbags are appreciated. If you are looking for a spacious, reliable, and inexpensive vehicle-it would have killed me to say this five years ago...but buy a Prius.

It's neither cool nor stylish.

Be Realistic, Unbelievable Value
By bryant1981

We traded our loaded 2007 Lexus RX350 for the 2012 Prius, I knew it was smart for us but worried we'd be too sensitive to the luxury adjustment-we weren't, the Prius is a much nicer car than most people think. Barcelona Red Metallic over Tan is a great color combo! Smooth & quiet, I drive for Uber & Lyft and passengers are always pleasantly surprised at the space and road manners. Swap the OEM Goodyear tires for Michelins and all is complete. We are getting between 48 and 59 MPG varying on speed/road conditions/passenger Weight. No regrets, won't drive anything but a Hybrid, we save so much money and sacrifice nothing on comfort. It's sad that the Prius is often spoken of so negatively

Hands free phone, Bluetooth audio, fancy gear shift lever, floating counsel

Standard back up camera (which they probably added in newer models) Standard power drivers seat with two person memory setting (Asking a lot probably) Manual side rear window shades option....xenon lights standard and all wheel drive option too; all discussed for 2016 model which we will probably own also 😊

• SUV