Used 2012 Toyota Prius Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Toyota Prius - Consumer Reviews

2012 Toyota Prius Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Prius model:

Great Hybrid!
By Xou Yang

2012 Toyota Prius Hatchback Two 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Great car for the money. Traded my 2013 Scion FRS in for Prius II. Looks great, decent interior, a lot of interior space, GREAT MPG, and thus far maintenance-free. Acceleration is decent. I mean, it's no sports car! I spend between $22-40 on gas every month. It saves me a ton of $$$$$! I have no regrets at all and totally recommend it.

Favorite Features

I love the MPG on my Prius II. Saves me a lot of money.

Suggested Improvements

Nice interior design but quality isn't there. But it doesn't bother me.

Carefree car ownership
By goodeyb

Traded my Jeep Wrangler for this Prius about 18 months ago...it is unbelievable how practical, reliable, and inexpensive this car is. Outstanding gas mileage, almost no maintenance, and much more space then one would think.

Favorite Features

I am 6' 2" and have plenty of room. The seats fold down to give nearly as much cargo room as my old Grand Cherokee. The front, side, and curtain airbags are appreciated. If you are looking for a spacious, reliable, and inexpensive vehicle-it would have killed me to say this five years ago...but buy a Prius.

Suggested Improvements

It's neither cool nor stylish.

Be Realistic, Unbelievable Value
By bryant1981

We traded our loaded 2007 Lexus RX350 for the 2012 Prius, I knew it was smart for us but worried we'd be too sensitive to the luxury adjustment-we weren't, the Prius is a much nicer car than most people think. Barcelona Red Metallic over Tan is a great color combo! Smooth & quiet, I drive for Uber & Lyft and passengers are always pleasantly surprised at the space and road manners. Swap the OEM Goodyear tires for Michelins and all is complete. We are getting between 48 and 59 MPG varying on speed/road conditions/passenger Weight. No regrets, won't drive anything but a Hybrid, we save so much money and sacrifice nothing on comfort. It's sad that the Prius is often spoken of so negatively

Favorite Features

Hands free phone, Bluetooth audio, fancy gear shift lever, floating counsel

Suggested Improvements

Standard back up camera (which they probably added in newer models) Standard power drivers seat with two person memory setting (Asking a lot probably) Manual side rear window shades option....xenon lights standard and all wheel drive option too; all discussed for 2016 model which we will probably own also 😊

Needs a little design rework
By solarweis

2012 Toyota Prius Hatchback One 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

It's not a bad little car, we call it our "road rat", I use it as a commuter car mainly on the highway. I've expressed concerns with the steering wheel not being straight while going down a straight road, about it pulling and having to hold pressure on the steering wheel to keep it going straight, Toyota says the car is fine. I don't agree, I don't want to exercise the entire time I'm in the car driving. It wears out the edge of the left tire, it took a while, but both front and rear exhibit the same problem, due to tire rotations. New tires and alignment indicate the rear Toe is out of spec, but it's not adjustable. The engine is noisy when your trying to speed up, it roars, so strange.

Favorite Features

It gets great gas mileage averaging around 53 MPG. If traffic is bad, I can move along at 20 mph plus or minus 10 and the mileage goes up nicely !! I like the entry feature to touch the handle and opening all the doors. USB connection is good, but it's in the bottom of the center console, not easy to get too.

Suggested Improvements

Do something to reduce the road noise. Change the steering wheel so you don't have to two vertical columns at the bottom. Not a smooth transition for turning the wheel with you figures, it pitches them. The center console is to close or something, my elbow is always hitting it and the cup holder is a terrible place, it's like the perfect position for hitting my funny bone and very uncomfortable as an arm rest while driving with the edge of the cup holder digging into the elbow all the time. Please fix the rear alignment problems, tires are expensive, I shouldn't have to rig up a shim to fix Toe-In/Out problems, make it adjustable, make it right the first time and verify it's right.

Piece of Junk, Insulting Manufacturer/Dealerships
By uffdaje

2012 Toyota Prius Hatchback Three 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

, I completely agree. I have been taking the car back to dealership I purchased my car at as well as 3 others and no one can fix the issues. I contacted Toyota National and they told me that they will not do anything about this and that I need to continue to work with dealerships on these issues. I have to use earplugs to drive this piece of junk, the engine sounds like a race car at full speed, the ride is rough and vibrates clear up the seat to head, tires lasted only 25K miles, etc. Dealer I bought car at told me to turn up the radio, use earphone or earplugs, that Toyota reengineered the side mirrors and small window and that this is the cause of the wind vortex sound around doors, that