Used 2012 Toyota Prius Consumer Reviews - 42 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Toyota Prius - Consumer Reviews

2012 Toyota Prius

View reviews for a specific Prius model:

Great smart stylish choice
By mike edwards

2012 Toyota Prius One 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

options..look for the solar panel and rearview camera...maybe satellite radio as well

Great bang for the buck!!! Love it
By Sheri Rosager

2012 Toyota Prius Two 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

You can't beat the gas mileage and it's fun to drive.... Plus you can park it anywhere :)

Rats
By Cheryl

2012 Toyota Prius One 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The Fuel economy was unbelievable. Good, excellent even, but: and it's a big one. The machine rides like a buckboard. Rough, very rough. The struts do not do the job. If you live down the street from your work and all are paved roads in good repair then it's worth considering for the fuel savings alone. The resale value/ trade-in was not all it was cracked up to be. The largest disappointment were the mice. Literally. We had mice in the battery compartment, mice in the spare, mice in the rear seat. Mice in the ac. The mice were colonies. The fought, they died, they stunk, and stunk and stunk until we had to give up the ride. They came in though the engine cowling at the hood, under the wipers. They chewed through the cabin filter. We had them cleaned out by the dealership once, very expensive, and the car sanitized. They came again, we cleaned it out ourselves and placed wire over the air intakes under the wipers (YouTube) but during the summer every time we hit a bump, you guessed it: The smell of decaying mice through the air vents. Finally we traded for a Subaru. it's a much better ride but I sure do miss that 51 mpg.

Perfect car for everyone
By Keanerouillard@gmail.com

2012 Toyota Prius Two 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My mpg for everyday and every tank was 41mpg. This is combined over many miles. Short city runs get more. I got 50 mpg going to Indiana. On trip in city I got 61 mpg. I bought new and traded it with 73000 miles on it. I replaced tires at 62000 miles. I also need to replace the headlight bulbs once. I think it was year 2 I put bulbs in.
Great car. Comfortable quiet and it is peppy. If you are on the fence on buying one. Get off the fence and get it.
I bought 11-2012 just traded in on 4-2016

2012 Prius II - 3 year 51,000 mile review
By Colin

2012 Toyota Prius Two 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I purchased this car brand new in March 2013'. I have now driven it for 3 years and 51,000 miles. The Good: No mechanical problems, excellent gas mileage (I average 45 mpg overall), large cargo space with rear seats folded down (I can put my road bicycle in without taking the wheels off), inexpensive to maintain and seats 4 adults comfortably. The Bad: Noisy ride, plastic interior rattles, not good in snow on stock tires (I'll elaborate next sentence) and boring to drive (I knew it would be though because it's a Prius). I live in Pittsburgh which is hilly and gets lots of wet snowy days. I have stock tires and this car struggles to go up steep hills, slips a lot during acceleration/braking and traction control works funny. There is an odd procedure of pressing the brake pedal and turning the car on/off multiple times to temporarily disable the traction control but it is not something you can do in a tricky situation. It's nice to be able to turn traction control on and off because sometimes it makes driving in the snow harder. Overall this is a great car getting good gas mileage and its a great highway and city commuter. I plan to keep this car several more years despite some of the negative aspects.