Used 2012 Toyota Prius Consumer Reviews - 39 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Toyota Prius - Consumer Reviews

2012 Toyota Prius

View reviews for a specific Prius model:

Perfect car for everyone
By Keanerouillard@gmail.com

2012 Toyota Prius Two 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My mpg for everyday and every tank was 41mpg. This is combined over many miles. Short city runs get more. I got 50 mpg going to Indiana. On trip in city I got 61 mpg. I bought new and traded it with 73000 miles on it. I replaced tires at 62000 miles. I also need to replace the headlight bulbs once. I think it was year 2 I put bulbs in.
Great car. Comfortable quiet and it is peppy. If you are on the fence on buying one. Get off the fence and get it.
I bought 11-2012 just traded in on 4-2016

2012 Prius II - 3 year 51,000 mile review
By Colin

2012 Toyota Prius Two 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I purchased this car brand new in March 2013'. I have now driven it for 3 years and 51,000 miles. The Good: No mechanical problems, excellent gas mileage (I average 45 mpg overall), large cargo space with rear seats folded down (I can put my road bicycle in without taking the wheels off), inexpensive to maintain and seats 4 adults comfortably. The Bad: Noisy ride, plastic interior rattles, not good in snow on stock tires (I'll elaborate next sentence) and boring to drive (I knew it would be though because it's a Prius). I live in Pittsburgh which is hilly and gets lots of wet snowy days. I have stock tires and this car struggles to go up steep hills, slips a lot during acceleration/braking and traction control works funny. There is an odd procedure of pressing the brake pedal and turning the car on/off multiple times to temporarily disable the traction control but it is not something you can do in a tricky situation. It's nice to be able to turn traction control on and off because sometimes it makes driving in the snow harder. Overall this is a great car getting good gas mileage and its a great highway and city commuter. I plan to keep this car several more years despite some of the negative aspects.

as advertised, and a bit better.
By Sam

2012 Toyota Prius One 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Bought a 2012 Prius 6 months ago, and I've put about 8000 miles on it. Observations:

Very good in bad weather. It's heavy, with a 4 cyl engine, electric motor, and battery pack over the rear wheels. Stable. Driving on hilly roads with sleet coming down and cars going off left and right, I never lost grip. Felt very secure. Wife drives a Nissan Pathfinder, and the Prius is better on snow (less clearance, of course).

There's a BIG difference in MPG if you drive 65 or 75. I can average over 50 on my 45 mile highway commute (rather hilly) if I drive 65. I average less than 45 if I drive much over 70.

The Prius is much louder at higher speeds. At 65, it's not too loud, and it's pretty peaceful. I have the upgraded JBL stereo, and it covers up the noise. Speed up another 10 miles an hour, and the road noise and wind noise is significant. Headache loud.

So, if you are willing to drive 65 and get passed a lot, the car will treat you better. And I timed it, by the way: I save about 3-5 minutes by going 10 miles an hour faster, on average. Not worth it, to me.

Goes up hills much easier than I thought it would. Not at all gutsy, but gets the job done. Engine drones in most unpleasant manner under hard acceleration . . . almost as if Toyota purposefully tuned it to sound ugly so as to encourage me to not floor it.

MPG is as advertised, around 50. In town, if I drive carefully, I can get much more--up to 70. Then, though, I'm probably irritating people behind me. But it's fun to try to keep the gas engine off for as much as possible.

2012 Prius w/ Solar roof
By kb4email@gmail.com

2012 Toyota Prius One 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Love 'em so much we own 2!
By Mike Colley

2012 Toyota Prius Five 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We love our priuii :) and will probably not buy anything else again. We AVERAGE 50 mpg in cars that are very comfortable. Cargo space is pretty amazing, too - We have had several occasions when the home improvement store worker helping load has said, "No way!" and we replied - "You'll be surprised!"
We have a 2012 and a 2015 Prius 3. Love 'em both! The 2012 has almost 100,000 miles on it.
We would not hesitate to drive this car across the country.
The ONLY negative things are the headlights have an abrupt view line on low beam and there is a really bad blind spot. Mirror placement helps.