Used 2012 Toyota Prius Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Toyota Prius - Consumer Reviews

2012 Toyota Prius

View reviews for a specific Prius model:

Most Helpful|
A happy buyer.
By emmettmoore

2012 Toyota Prius Five 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Just purchased a 2012, loaded Prius. Out the door at $35k. Switched from a Mercedes e350 that was getting 16 mpg city driving. Spending $80 dollars per week was just pissing me off...so i took the plunge. The performance is no comparison to the Mercedes, and the interior is bit bland. However, I am really enthused about the gas mileage. Drove around the city, punching the gas to see how bad of mileage I could get (seriously), I ended up with 44 after a day. The next day I babied the gas pedal on got 50. My wife is a real baby and wont drive anything but a benz, she is actually kind of liking this car, which is a big relief. My 10 year old son loves the big back seats.

Favorite Features

Very nice electronic display, excellent stereo, phone app integration is really cool. Overall, its high tech and I am really enjoying the apps. When I say apps, I really mean apps. Really cool apps like automatically mapping the nearest gas stations and current gas prices, search and find capabilities like find me a starbucks and it quickly routes you, blue tooth with phone integration is excellent and intuitive and really easy to use.

Suggested Improvements

I love to punch the gas and am used to fast, gas guzzling cars....what I want is 50 mpg and 0-60 in 3.9 seconds. But with gas prices in my California neighborhood at 4.35-4.65 a gallon, well I can adjust, lower my expectations, and just enjoy all of the cool features that the Prius has to offer.

After One Year
By stef6

2012 Toyota Prius Three 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The Prius has proven itself to be reliable and provide very good gas mileage. The seats are comfortable, however the road noise needs to be reduced. It may be the norm for cars of this class, but Toyota should do better. I have over 25K miles on the car now so I spend considerable time in it. The only complaint is the highway raod noise. I would gladly trade a mile or two per gallon for a quiet car.

Favorite Features

gas mileage, easy to drive.

Suggested Improvements

More insulation to buffer road noise.

Needs a little design rework
By solarweis

2012 Toyota Prius One 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

It's not a bad little car, we call it our "road rat", I use it as a commuter car mainly on the highway. I've expressed concerns with the steering wheel not being straight while going down a straight road, about it pulling and having to hold pressure on the steering wheel to keep it going straight, Toyota says the car is fine. I don't agree, I don't want to exercise the entire time I'm in the car driving. It wears out the edge of the left tire, it took a while, but both front and rear exhibit the same problem, due to tire rotations. New tires and alignment indicate the rear Toe is out of spec, but it's not adjustable. The engine is noisy when your trying to speed up, it roars, so strange.

Favorite Features

It gets great gas mileage averaging around 53 MPG. If traffic is bad, I can move along at 20 mph plus or minus 10 and the mileage goes up nicely !! I like the entry feature to touch the handle and opening all the doors. USB connection is good, but it's in the bottom of the center console, not easy to get too.

Suggested Improvements

Do something to reduce the road noise. Change the steering wheel so you don't have to two vertical columns at the bottom. Not a smooth transition for turning the wheel with you figures, it pitches them. The center console is to close or something, my elbow is always hitting it and the cup holder is a terrible place, it's like the perfect position for hitting my funny bone and very uncomfortable as an arm rest while driving with the edge of the cup holder digging into the elbow all the time. Please fix the rear alignment problems, tires are expensive, I shouldn't have to rig up a shim to fix Toe-In/Out problems, make it adjustable, make it right the first time and verify it's right.

Great Hybrid!
By Xou Yang

2012 Toyota Prius Two 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Great car for the money. Traded my 2013 Scion FRS in for Prius II. Looks great, decent interior, a lot of interior space, GREAT MPG, and thus far maintenance-free. Acceleration is decent. I mean, it's no sports car! I spend between $22-40 on gas every month. It saves me a ton of $$$$$! I have no regrets at all and totally recommend it.

Favorite Features

I love the MPG on my Prius II. Saves me a lot of money.

Suggested Improvements

Nice interior design but quality isn't there. But it doesn't bother me.

Piece of Junk, Insulting Manufacturer/Dealerships
By uffdaje

2012 Toyota Prius Three 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

, I completely agree. I have been taking the car back to dealership I purchased my car at as well as 3 others and no one can fix the issues. I contacted Toyota National and they told me that they will not do anything about this and that I need to continue to work with dealerships on these issues. I have to use earplugs to drive this piece of junk, the engine sounds like a race car at full speed, the ride is rough and vibrates clear up the seat to head, tires lasted only 25K miles, etc. Dealer I bought car at told me to turn up the radio, use earphone or earplugs, that Toyota reengineered the side mirrors and small window and that this is the cause of the wind vortex sound around doors, that